Zooxanthellae Adaption Time to Increased/Decreased Lighting

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has long been a widely held belief that zooxanthellate need an adaptation period of weeks when exposed to increases/decreases in light intensity. I've got data from experiments done just before I left Hawaii that showed zooxanthellate chlorophyll content can ramp up or down in short time (one day) when light intensity shifts. The coral was tentatively identified as Porites lobata. The experiment's intent was to examine the effect of iron addition and the possibility of reduced chances of bleaching. As happens, unexpected results were observed. The question is if the same happens in other coral genera.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically instead of ramping up slowly over the course of weeks, it can instead be said to ramp over the course of days? Just not a huge ramp up right away?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically instead of ramping up slowly over the course of weeks, it can instead be said to ramp over the course of days? Just not a huge ramp up right away?

I think that other species of coral may respond differently to quick changes in light intensity. Maybe @Dana Riddle can experiment with acro's and montipora's that we keep in the hobby, to study it's effect on them?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got to get that information published, but the chlorophyll content in P. lobata responded very quickly to light intensity. The light over the experimental tank failed and within 24 hours, the chlorophyll content jumped upwards. When light was restored, the chlorophyll content dropped but stabilized.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that other species of coral may respond differently to quick changes in light intensity. Maybe @Dana Riddle can experiment with acro's and montipora's that we keep in the hobby, to study it's effect on them?
Yup, that's the intent. I've got some nice Acroporas and a couple of Montiporas in the frag tank. AND NEW BATTERIES IN THE CHLOROPHYLL METER!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's the intent. I've got some nice Acroporas and a couple of Montiporas in the frag tank. AND NEW BATTERIES IN THE CHLOROPHYLL METER!

Awesome Dana! Very cool!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back