AfamousJ's DIY 40g breeder 4 chamber sump build

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this baby lying around for a bit now and figured i needed to do what it was 1st intended for. The upgrade to my sump. Bumbs me out using this tank for a sump - now - and have contimplated hitting up for another cheap 40gb but even as a DT you would still loose the coolness of the background in most cases anyways.

I have looked into a few different designs and really like the 4 chamber - return in the middle design. I like having a drain into 1st chamber and want to incorperate how the pro's do it having the drain hit the 1st chamber and overflowing into the socks which enters into the skimmer and equiptment chamber. I am wanting to incorperate adjustable baffles off both sides coming into the center return chamber also so will be using acrylic for my baffles so I can mess around with them. Also watched a video and saw someone using
Premium Durability "EPDM" rubber(marine & auto all climate rubber weatherseal) to put baffles in instead of silicone. They are removable and I am seriously thinking about trying this out - anyone know of or have thoughts on that part??

I am thinking doing a 1st chamber that is around a couple inchs to supply enough room to run the drains into and have 1 of my 2 heaters attached accrossed the bottom from front to back. This will make it easy to siphon out all the gunk that gets trapped in the bottom and help keep my sump clean. Than having a drain set up high on the first chamber wall draining into a sock which is located in the 2nd chamber where I will have my skimmer and cal rx pump. drains from reactors will also enter this chamber.
I will end this chamber with an over under 2 piece baffle going into the return chamber where return pumps will be along with probes, and tunze ato
If you have a good diy probe holder link hit it up here cause im still looking.

"Off" of the return I will feed the last chamber which will be a frag area. This chamber will also have an adjustable baffle that will be set with a 2 piece over under baffle as well draining back into return chamber.(It seems the over under baffle does better at containing most bubbles with a 2 piece baffle when dealing with evaporation) Here is an idea - the blue tape represents baffle/baffles between chambers.

Also another reason going acrylic baffle is saw a cool idea to making the over under baffle for the one that needs to be raised to allow water to go underneath by cutting it like this( arrows point to where water goes under)

On both sides at the bottom you leave your spacers(just a small set on) so it rests on the bottom while installing it and still does exactly what it is supposed to do in allowing water to flow underneath. I will set these baffles with sylicone I think.

Not good with any 3-d so I drew it out cause im old school like that.lol here is my idea in the gist of it-

The circles on plumbing will be ball valves. I am also thinking of a couple gates in a spot or 2 as well. The X's are overflow safes in case of anything where a chamber blocks up it will overflow there before the floor.lol

more to come still making measurments for baffles and chambers and what not but that is the idea I am going for here....I think.lol any thoughts ...ideas..etc :)

Am going a different direction for a fuge I am thinking and have an idea to tie one in without having to make room for it in my sump. lets hope :)

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm nothing? What do you guys think of the initial designs and ideas? Any input on something with it I may want to take a different approach/look at?

What about using the EPDM rubber weatherseal to put baffles in with instead of using silicone? Has anyone done this, or had experiences with it?

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a different pic with more what I'm looking for in the 4 chambers. It bums me out to hide the background so I had an idea Of using the painted back ground as the front sum what hiding an ugly sump. I will still have enough top down view to see what's going on in there and hoping the front design will still allow some quick view. Figure the light will shine thru and look nice - so you are looking at what may be the backside of the sump 1st chamber being on the right with a middle return.

Attachments

• 20150127_202419.jpg
    20150127_202419.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 750

r33fswagg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own 40 breeder sump with glass baffles made in a similar fashion. On the refugium side you should only need 1 baffle between refugium and return. My water flows over smoothly with no bubbles in the DT. For the first chamber, being the skimmer chamber, the first baffle is siliconed in to the bottom and sides of tank with the 2nd baffle siliconed in on the sides with the baffle spaced for foam block and 3" off tank bottom. I also had black glass cut and drilled for a 1" bulkhead on each side of the sump. They rest on the tanks inner trim lip.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pic?

I made my own 40 breeder sump with glass baffles made in a similar fashion. On the refugium side you should only need 1 baffle between refugium and return. My water flows over smoothly with no bubbles in the DT. For the first chamber, being the skimmer chamber, the first baffle is siliconed in to the bottom and sides of tank with the 2nd baffle siliconed in on the sides with the baffle spaced for foam block and 3" off tank bottom. I also had black glass cut and drilled for a 1" bulkhead on each side of the sump. They rest on the tanks inner trim lip.

Ya I made my current sump a lot like that But the norm 3 chambers - 1st drain skimmer etc - into fuge - into return. Used silicone and locked in light with black baffles.

Definitely looking to change things up this round. I run media so a fuge has become 2ndary - I will still tie in one to the system but small quick rotated grow batchs - I want the pod feeding it helps with.
Also am looking at taking away the silicone and running rubber seals so my sump can change with me. Also looking to make it more functional at keeping clean. My current sump is re-tod-ded.lol and is impossible to keep clean unless I'm looking to take on an all day job. Stoked to see it progress and come together -
I cut out cardboard baffles and set it up and it looks good - many more hurdles to jump in this process tho as my running equipment I need to take offline and than try and use with getting all my measurments. Hassle.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your layout looks like it will work great. Wish I had some insight into the epdm for you. Really nice job on the artwork on the tank, going to look really cool when it's done.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks kschweer ya I haven't heard anything about it affecting or crashing a tank (adhesive would be my concern) and the other problems I think worth trying it out despite. So will be giving this a go with it. I like the concept just lack of searchable info has me in question.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem man. If you go the epdm route be sure to document it. I would be very interested in seeing how it works out.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure - try to get a video of set up and instilation.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using the EPDM rubber weatherseal to put baffles in with instead of using silicone? Has anyone done this, or had experiences with it?

I have done this in the past when I needed to add operating height to my skimmer chamber. It's about the easiest thing in the world to use and I don't know why it's not more popular.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I am really surprised you don't hear more about it? Seems easy when it comes to the process and much less messy.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, how interesting..And thank you for the confirmation.. Does anyone have a YouTube or other link for visualization? I just built my first sump and i think i'm addicted, as I'm considering building another.. Lol

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there's a post on the "other site"

Search google for sump weatherstripping or something similar.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a fellow on you tube as well that does a video - I found it under a search for adjustable baffles

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you can add baffles with this method? Just curious?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back