OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind sharing what are your current ramp settings and light intensities settings for the hydras

Sure:

BEAUTIFUL tank not a spec of hair algae I'm having a major battle with my tank whats your secret !
Thank You! We employ several options to keep nuisance algae at bay: heavy skimming, GFO, turf scrubber, filter socks, and keep our peak lighting period at 6 hours per day. We also just started vinegar dosing about 2 months ago to allow us to feed a bit more since we do have quite a number of fish in the display. And lastly, we keep some GREAT algae eaters in our tank (bristletooth tang, Desjardini tang, Flame Angel, Regal Angel, as well as fighting conchs) that constantly graze the rock work and sand bed.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fantastic looking reef tank! you have some very nice sps and your fish list is outstanding!

would you be kind enough to give your input on a couple areas.... i'm trying to decide on what route to go for my next upgrade. i'm thinking between 220-300g....

would you go with another marineland tank, after a devastating seam failure and then a custom overflow coming loose on the replacement tank? did they cover just the tank, or home repairs as well? i've decided to go with a new tank, but it seems like i have heard of numerous marineland tanks splitting seams. maybe because they are one of the larger makers and just a matter of having more in the field?

how do you like the single center overflow? would you go that route again? aesthetically it looks much better then the dual, imo.

Thank You so much for the compliments!

The Marineland 300 DD's are a lot of bang for the buck and there are numerous 300 DD's out there that have been running for several years without issues. If/when we decide to upgrade, it will more than likely be to a larger footprint tank which would require a custom tank builder.

The damage (which was significant) to our home was covered by our insurance company. They did not cover any damaged equipment or the tank, but did cover damage and repair of our tank stand because it was built in and considered the same as cabinetry. The LFS dealt with the tank manufacturer directly and eventually ordered our replacement tank at no cost to us. Our situation was a bit different in regards to warranty because the LFS modified the tank for extra drains and a closed loop.

We love the look of the tank with the center overflow and would definitely do it again, although cleaning it can be a chore, LOL!

coker98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup so far. Im a tad behind the ball on this thread. Only 48 more pages to go.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup so far. Im a tad behind the ball on this thread. Only 48 more pages to go.

Thank You for the compliment and for taking the time to checkout our build!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video update:

[video=youtube_share;ML-VSDP9jI4]http://youtu.be/ML-VSDP9jI4[/video]

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great,
Love the fish collection.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank!

How many fish do you currently have?

Thank You! We currently have about 36 fish in the tank.

Awesome tank. Love the video.

Thank You, Jeremy!

Tank looks amazing! Great job.... obviously I'm partial to the tinkeri ;)

Thank you so much, Peter! We LOVE our Tink's (aka Dennis the Menace). Thankfully, he has been on best behavior since we moved our C. flavissima to our "tank of misfits" out in the garage. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank and videos are always a pleasure to watch! So beautiful :D I would be happy if mine is some day 1/2 as nice!

Thanks, Jackie! Yours is going to grow into an amazing reef...

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such an AMAZING Reeftank you to, looks better every time I peek in. Also a much needed inspiration to get mine back on track, thank you for sharing as usual.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such an AMAZING Reeftank you to, looks better every time I peek in. Also a much needed inspiration to get mine back on track, thank you for sharing as usual.

Cheers, Todd

Thank You so much, Todd!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man.. I don't think I've ever seen such quality pics. Those fish alone look amazing!

EDIT: Y'all are making it harder and harder for me not to try an angel.. I've resisted the urge for years.. and my willpower...is.. faaaaaading. :(

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back