Scared the hell out of me. I don't expect birds when I am diving. I also got attacked by another bird. But not diving. I was the Foreman electrician at a NYC residential garbage incinerator and I had one of those A to Z trailers in the parking lot which was next to a canal. A really filthy canal that was used to transport the garbage ashes on barges. It was summertime and I was looking at the prints in the trailer with the door open. All of a sudden something crashed into the back of my neck and it was flapping it's wings against my ears as it was trying to stand on my shirt collar. I don't know, maybe birds are attracted to bald heads. Anyway, I grabbed it and threw it on the table. It was filthy, wet and covered in soot. The thing couldn't stand up and was just flapping on my table making a mess out of my blue prints. I took it outside and threw it up in the air figuring it would fly away. Did you ever see that movie "Rodan?" It flew half way across the canal and fell in. In a few seconds he sunk.
I found out what was wrong with him because after that I noticed it a few more times. The birds would fly over the huge chimney which was over 100' high, and they would be over come by heat, soot and I guess the smell of garbage and they would croak.
They would dive bomb right into the parking lot or the canal. I rescued a couple and a sparrow by washing them off.
The place was very toxic and anything metal, even stainless steel would just rot away. Everything had to be hot dipped galvanized PVC coated and cost a fortune. I was amazed at the cost of even a small fitting. A normal condulet which is a type of electrical box and may sell for $15.00 there cost $250.00.
I sent a guy to see if he could re wire this huge motor that pulled cables to open a flue which was a cinder block wall about 40' wide and weighed a few thousand pounds. It was buried in a big mound of soot. My guy shoveled out the soot and the motor was gone. Just disintegrated under the ash.
Of course we were breathing that stuff in but that just mixed with the asbestos and Agent Orange so maybe they cancelled each other out.
The lower picture is me cad welding in that incinerator. The top picture is me on the roof of the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan. That is snow covered Central Park below me.
