OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from MicroBactor 7 and Reef Bio Fuel, which didn’t seem to do much, to Reef Actif and Elimi-NP it’s working great but nitrates are slower to go down. LFS guy advised to use vodka only as it will lower nitrates and not affect phosphate as much. Anyone with experience/advise on this?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently switched from MicroBactor 7 and Reef Bio Fuel, which didn’t seem to do much, to Reef Actif and Elimi-NP it’s working great but nitrates are slower to go down. LFS guy advised to use vodka only as it will lower nitrates and not affect phosphate as much. Anyone with experience/advise on this?
I actually used vinegar in my old reef as nitrates were extremely high. I adjusted the amount based on what I thought was fine. Went from around 80 to around 20. Something like 20ml per day for an 80g system.

Edit: also heard the dosing would help produce bacteria to feed micro fauna which should feed my christmas tree worms. I think it worked well.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually used vinegar in my old reef as nitrates were extremely high. I adjusted the amount based on what I thought was fine. Went from around 80 to around 20. Something like 20ml per day for an 80g system.

Edit: also heard the dosing would help produce bacteria to feed micro fauna which should feed my christmas tree worms. I think it worked well.
We talked about vinegar vs vodka and in his opinion vodka was better for Nitrates and not reducing Phosphate. But I know there is no one fix for all. Each tank is different. I know p and n are not balanced now. That is were I struggle.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We talked about vinegar vs vodka and in his opinion vodka was better for Nitrates and not reducing Phosphate. But I know there is no one fix for all. Each tank is different. I know p and n are not balanced now. That is were I struggle.
Vodka is most likely better. I did the vinegar for other reasons. It was cheaper and I always have it on hand. If I went with vodka today, someone other than me would see it be used.

But yes, it works for lowering N and not hassling the p much. As it is food for bacteria.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go by a weekly basis and adjust as needed. I currently do not dose vinegar, but ammonium chloride. >.> Life is weird.
What are you dosing that for? Not familiar with it

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you dosing that for? Not familiar with it
To increase my nitrates. I decided to attempt the diy nitrate fuel since I ran out of neonitro. My nitrates dropped to 0 and I have been at battle with it for the last year or so.

extra info: According to some forum posters. The coral can also process the ammonium as food. So far, my LPS are giving great feeding signals. I had a bower that has not accepted food since I got it. I believe back in september? My trumpet coral has never asked for food and has now. So, there's gotta be some truth going on.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used vinegar (much safer) and I'm pretty sure I killed my Acros. LPS, Montis, and Aiptasia were super happy though.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka, for as low as your nitrates are, is likely going to be measured in drops, not mLs.
Nitrates before dosing was 24.3 on Feb 29. Brought down to 19.3 as of today. Phosphate on same date was .24 now.031.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was pushing 30 ml of vinegar daily in my 125. Nitrates were above 75. Ran the vinegar dosing for 3-4 weeks and nitrates got down to 24.5, lost 4 or 5 Acros during that time. I stopped dosing because I figured my nitrates were where I wanted them and my Acros that were left started recovering within a couple of days. I'm not sure if it was something in the vinegar I had but it was definitely no coincidence that they started suffering during the vinegar dosing and started recovering after I stopped.

Vodka is easier to crash a tank than vinegar so just be careful.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which model do you have?

I have the Osmolator 3155, no issues other than finding a placement for the optical sensor with some flow so it doesn't get gunked up which can stop it from activating. No sump here so floaties in the DT annoyed it a bit in my case. Havent touched it in months now (or cleaned it even).

Never going back to non-ATO again!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back