270 Gallon "Fish Pairs Themed" Upgrade

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do offer insurance for the client’s dog and to sitters dog in case something happens. But nothing for my property if something is damaged. And I’ve read reviews saying it is extremely hard to get any settlement when something did happen. I’m not concerned so much about my 15% fee, I’ve always paid that through rover and that’s how I get my clients. I wouldn’t have the clients without rover. But some of my clients have complained to me about fees on their end keep going up. And I’m more upset about that fact that they feel the need to send me a message when a client says something like this. I’ve been on rover for 8 years and have to sign their agreement every year so I know what it says. And I didn’t respond in any way that would suggest we go off rover. And I don’t like being watched either I guess. I don’t know maybe it’s my mood this morning and it just hit me the wrong way today.
I'm against being monitored in general. I hate the fact that our phones are listening to our conversations even when not in use despite changing all settings asking to not do this. Sadly this is the direction of everything, and it is only going to get more intrusive with small companies being edged out of market, AI etc.

Sigh...I miss simpler times. Rant over...:::Hugs:::

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm against being monitored in general. I hate the fact that our phones are listening to our conversations even when not in use despite changing all settings asking to not do this. Sadly this is the direction of everything, and it is only going to get more intrusive with small companies being edged out of market, AI etc.

Sigh...I miss simpler times. Rant over...:::Hugs:::
Agreed. like when the parents used to turn the porch light on and off to tell us it was time to come in, or whistle for us to come home.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be time for me to leave Rover and find another place for my dog sitting. Got this message from potential client this morning :

Hi Amanda, I need to cancel for Monday's meet and greet. So sorry for the short notice. I am not sure if I am going to use Rover with the extra service fees they charge.

Then I immediately get this message from Rover:

We want to remind you about an important part of our Terms of Service, namely that arranging a booking on Rover and then completing it off Rover is a violation of our policies and doing so could mean losing access to your Rover account.

They watch everything that is said! I mean, they are already a billion dollar company. Plus they take 15% from my pay. I need to think on this one.
I got a similar message from outdoorsy, who hosts our camper rental. Dude wanted to pay cash or ravens gear for delivery. Similar concept. Wouldn't have renters without it but 25% to host the rental and clear transactions is a lot.

In terms of rover, at least it's not wag.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect example. This is NUTS. I had on conversation on Saturday with graphic design company on personal cell phone. During the conversation she told me the specific kind of program they use for graphics. This morning I got an email advertisement for that program to MY WORK email. Keep in mind I am currently not in the graphic design industry. I have never searched for that program since the discussion and the fact that somehow now, my personal cell has been linked to my work email is disturbing.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar. Said to a friend face to face in person with phone in pocket. "like your pants" my attempt at small talk don't judge me. She proceeded to tell me about a company online and spelled the name. The next day on the FB I'm seeing adds for said company. I may start talking about random stuff out loud just to play around.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages

So just spit balling here but looking for everyone’s opinions, advice and input.

I have been thinking about reducing my number of tanks down to 1, plus my qt systems of course. I love my butterflies and angels, you know, the ones that would eat my corals, so I have to keep them. I have been brain storming about a tank within a tank. Don’t know how exactly this would look. Or how much it would cost.

Tank is 84” x 30” x 25”
Option 1 - maybe something down the middle of the tank , somehow hanging from the center braces. Would the center braces be able to handle the weight? Would probably have to be acrylic so is lighter in weight Would i need slits on all sides for flow? This might be a nightmare for keeping all the slots, hole clean. Would I also need a power head inside this tank? I’m thinking this acrylic tank would be 72” x 8” or 10” wide and deep.

Option 2 - something across the back wall of the tank. This could be acrylic or glass and siliconed in place. This would probably have to be 2, one on each side of the overflow. I think if it’s glass, only way to get flow would have to be ph in each one. Would it get enough light on the back wall? Would be same size as above one. Would be very hard for me to reach to clean the glass. (I’m only 5’ tall)

Was thinking either one would be just slightly under the water level so fish can’t get in and still allow for some water flow.

Ideas, thoughts and opinions. Is this doable and still look good? Any issues or problems I’m not thinking of?

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there room next to the angels for the other tank so you can tie them together?

A tank inside a tank might be just as much maintenance as two tanks, still the scraping, vaccing, et al. But if they are on the same system, then a change to one is a change to both, eg. top offs, water changes...

Also, the reef (either way really) would get the nutrients from the angels.

No idea how to sequester the coral in the angel tank so they don't become snacks.

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there room next to the angels for the other tank so you can tie them together?

A tank inside a tank might be just as much maintenance as two tanks, still the scraping, vaccing, et al. But if they are on the same system, then a change to one is a change to both, eg. top offs, water changes...

Also, the reef (either way really) would get the nutrients from the angels.

No idea how to sequester the coral in the angel tank so they don't become snacks.
No place to put the reef tank to tie them together. That’s why I was thinking a tank within a tank. 34 gal reef tank is currently upstairs and big tank is in the basement.
Upstairs floor is tile and on other side of house so no way to plumb them together. Besides my husband would never agree to putting holes in our floor upstairs.
IMG_5965.jpeg

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No place to put the reef tank to tie them together. That’s why I was thinking a tank within a tank. 34 gal reef tank is currently upstairs and big tank is in the basement.
Upstairs floor is tile and on other side of house so no way to plumb them together. Besides my husband would never agree to putting holes in our floor upstairs.
IMG_5965.jpeg
I've seen a sump that was turned into growing acro coral. I dont know if it is practical but maybe have the coral tank be a dual function/sump for the fowler tank??

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a sump that was turned into growing acro coral. I dont know if it is practical but maybe have the coral tank be a dual function/sump for the fowler tank??
I thought about that but there is no room in my sump for a coral compartment or anything o plumb together one under the stand plus the doors would have to left open to see them and I would not like that

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only reasonable solution I see is to turn the room behind it into a massive tank, so large the angels can't find the tasty coral.

also, the lights are great.
Yeah, that sounds practical :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Room behind tank is a bathroom and underneath the stairs is my AWC system.

Thanks, I really like the Reef Brite lights.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
could you lose the bathroom ... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
hang on in tank acrylic reef 8"t 10"w X long x2 ? i like it ,can have slots
holes drilled anywhere , yes prob need exflow inside of it ,maxi jet would do...;):)
talk to joe...:thinking-face:

OP
OP
MrsBugmaster

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you lose the bathroom ... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
hang on in tank acrylic reef 8"t 10"w X long x2 ? i like it ,can have slots
holes drilled anywhere , yes prob need exflow inside of it ,maxi jet would do...;):)
talk to joe...:thinking-face:
So you are saying 2 separate tanks (one on each side of overflow) on back wall right?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back