Am I to old??

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I had a reef tank like in the late 80s and early 90s. Life changed had a family and work all toke over. Now I'm 76 and can't do a lot of activities like golf and climbing mountains. I still like to be active so I thought maybe a Reef tank would be of interest. I thinking the size of around 200 gallons. Since it takes a lot of work and dedication I would want to keep it going into a least my mid 80s. I know maintenance is a big deal to be successful. I'm curious what people in the know thinks about this for a old guy.

Age is relative. I recently got back from a dive trip and I was paird up with a young lass of similar age. She was an amazing diver and a great person to be around. Still talk to her after the trip. My point is age is age and we can't stop it. Enjoy it while you can. Responsible of course, right? I mean Jack LaLanne never stopped, right?

My point in all of this as an older reefer, although a bit younger than you, is to just be smarter about things. I say this as when I started my display I was fine but a year or so after I had a hip replacement. That brings a bit of a challenge when working under the display, restrictions on some movement, etc. So had I known before I would have done things a bit different.

So we are talking about setting it up front to be age friendly. MAINTENANCE.

Display size such that you can reach all around to work front to back top to bottom. 18 - 24 inch, etc

Raise the stand so it is easier to work

Sliding trays - use silicon tubes when you can to attach return pumps, skimmer pumps, so you can have a bit of room to slide in, out, and work

Lighting under display, canopy to work

Enough space to reach around the sides and back of display should something fall

Pre-plumb water for ATO

Pre-plumb lines for auto water change. If not auto water change then easy water change system on wheels. Roll in, add water, salt, heater, power head, mix, rest. Get hose with siphon, output to container of same size, with markings, turn valve, empty to mark. Move siphon to new salt container, turn on pump, refill, roll away and empty, clean.

Step stool platform so you can walk left, right, side of display

Tools within reach - no leaning

Keep it simple. Make it easy for tomorrow. Above all once you are satisfied make a letter to a loved one. We should all do this. You write down what the equipment does, how it works, document what to do when to do it. Label everything. Plugs, timers, valves, equipment, food, dosing. You may go on vacation, you may get sick, you may go to the ED, etc. This way a house sitter or maintenance company can back you up while you are out.

Lastly see if there is a fellow hobbyist near you, or family member, or maintenance company. Talk to them about backing you up should something happen. I had to ask for help when I was out for surgery and recovery.

So TL; DR - you are not too old. Just plan a bit more than normal to make things more friendly for you tomorrow. Especially around maintenance and backup support should you need it. You will find it to be very easy once properly thought out.

All the best and welcome.

PS - sorry about the long post and formatting.

kc4mnp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I had a reef tank like in the late 80s and early 90s. Life changed had a family and work all toke over. Now I'm 76 and can't do a lot of activities like golf and climbing mountains. I still like to be active so I thought maybe a Reef tank would be of interest. I thinking the size of around 200 gallons. Since it takes a lot of work and dedication I would want to keep it going into a least my mid 80s. I know maintenance is a big deal to be successful. I'm curious what people in the know thinks about this for a old guy.
I wouldn,t think you are too old , Im 68 and just restarting again on a 66 gallon in the process and also have a 110 needing the bottom glass replaced and a 30 gallon sump to put with in my near future plans! So don't let age stop you ! If something is too heavy just call on a friend or 2 for help ! At Least I would ! Good Day!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think long term planning is a good idea. Have you considered a low, shallow lagoon tank? Really beautiful and would allow for the possibility of long term reefing even from a wheelchair. If you go big, you could easily get the tank to a point of zero water changes. I agree with the above post, use old school methods. Planning for an autopilot mode with an electronic feeder incorporated may be a good idea in the event of an illness or hospital stay. Why not do what you love up until the end?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a smaller system would be prudent.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I had a reef tank like in the late 80s and early 90s. Life changed had a family and work all toke over. Now I'm 76 and can't do a lot of activities like golf and climbing mountains. I still like to be active so I thought maybe a Reef tank would be of interest. I thinking the size of around 200 gallons. Since it takes a lot of work and dedication I would want to keep it going into a least my mid 80s. I know maintenance is a big deal to be successful. I'm curious what people in the know thinks about this for an old guy.
Hi There I am 72. I recently started a new tank. Why give up just because of age? If I am not here to look after the rank any more my wife will just get the LFS to dismantle the tank. So, no problem. Go for it and enjoy the journey.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I had a reef tank like in the late 80s and early 90s. Life changed had a family and work all toke over. Now I'm 76 and can't do a lot of activities like golf and climbing mountains. I still like to be active so I thought maybe a Reef tank would be of interest. I thinking the size of around 200 gallons. Since it takes a lot of work and dedication I would want to keep it going into a least my mid 80s. I know maintenance is a big deal to be successful. I'm curious what people in the know thinks about this for an old guy.
Welcome to R2R! I say go for it! As for the heavy lifting part of things like water changes, they have pumps to do the heavy part. I think you will be fine. I am 61 and just started mine back up again after 17 years off.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning and welcome here. I will be your age in 6 months and have no plans to stop yet. This stuff is easy except for changing water which I now do with pumps so I don't have to lift those 5 gallon buckets.

It takes about the same amount of time. I also collect my water in the sea and to do that I back up to a convenient ocean, throw in a bilge pump with a long hose, and fill up 10 gallon buckets in my Jeep. At home I pump them from my car to a place near my tank so I could heat it.

Piece of cake.

I also don't quarantine or medicate and hardly test so it is cheap and doesn't take up much time and I don't have to fill up my old brain with all that information. The creatures just live out their life and them and me are very happy.

Oh, now I only have soft corals which need much less care. I am over SPS at this point in my life and am not trying to impress anyone. OK, maybe my wife, but she likes me with or without a fish tank :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230604_203550.gif

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome back to the hobby and to R2R! The thing that has made it easier for me is how I do my water changes. I have the RODI system set up in the garage. I use a python hose to drain the water from the (I have 3 tanks) tanks. I then pump it from the salt mixed container from the garage through the washer room, kitchen and then into the living room. Years ago I use to do everything in 5 gal buckets. I now am a little smarter as we need to make things easier as we get older.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a reef tank is more about exercising the mind than the body.

That being said, a 200 gallon tank may be a lot to keep up with when it comes to husbandry.

Take a look at a Aqueon 40 gallon breeder tank. There is lots of room to be creative and make the tank interesting. But at the same time, it won't be overwhelming.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel you have the ambition! Regardless of age, if possible I would plumb it too the basement and use something like a rubbermaid trough as a big open sump, if not, a sump hidden somewhere remote from the tank (or next too it) you can conceal but also have wide open access too will help you so much with maintenance as you age. Easier to work in, less crouching, bending, contorting. Also far easier to set up some form of automated water changing, ATO, and what not...

NanoNana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I’m no spring chicken anymore myself and am in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank. It’s cycling right now. I have a small farm and most of my free daylight hours are spent there. I opted for a smaller 24 gallon because my mother who is 88 with a bad rotator cuff will be very active with the tank and I thought to limit the weight of water changes would help her feel more independent with it. I have little doubt at 76 she could have handled any size tank. Go for it! And keep us updated on your progress.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back