are hanna checkers worth it

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope the Hydros Maven is half decent. Testing is the bane of my existence.
Same. I’ve learned to live with my Mastertronic - it’s ok if you don’t obsess over calibrating and instead just set an offset to align to a test kit you trust. I think these auto testers are better for tracking trends then chasing exact numbers.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting hanna checkers but I'd need 7 different ones and I dont really have $500 I guess I could buy them used but it would still be expensive and I'm not sure it would be 100% working.
I find only only two are useful and cost effective.
Phosphate or Phosphorus checkers because I find it impossible to read the tiny colour change with all others.

The Alk checker because it’s fast and easy and I test this daily.

Nitrate, CA and MG in most kits are easier to read as the colour change is a lot, nitrate to pink/red, CA and MG a change from pink to blue, so I don’t need the Hanna eye.

These kits are half the cost.

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I’ve learned to live with my Mastertronic - it’s ok if you don’t obsess over calibrating and instead just set an offset to align to a test kit you trust. I think these auto testers are better for tracking trends then chasing exact numbers.

Definitely. I just want to see when something starts trending in a direction I don't like, not it's exact number. But I'm already all in on Hydros and trying to fit a mastertronic in my cabinet would be annoying whereas the maven looks a lot more compact.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking about getting hanna checkers but I'd need 7 different ones and I dont really have $500 I guess I could buy them used but it would still be expensive and I'm not sure it would be 100% working.
I have nothing against them outside of cost - However, I don't see a need for them - except for someone perhaps who is color-blind, etc. I think people give more trust to a machine that gives an actual number (like hanna), as compared to the titration methods that require human review. IMHO - the cost is higher than their value. I found a couple did not give accurate results (but -that was an isolated incident). There are many comments on the calcium test - but that has supposedly been 're-done' to improve the accuracy and performability. EDIT - agree with Hanna copper test.

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one that doesn’t find the calcium Hanna checker that difficult or tedious? 1 ml of reagent a or w/e then fill the cuvette to the line with my ato water. Hit button and wait for c2 to pop up. Grab the other dropper push the plunger for the tank water put in cuvette then add packet of reagent b. Shake vigorously then insert into tester and push button, and voila you got your reading

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Am I the only one that doesn’t find the calcium Hanna checker that difficult or tedious? 1 ml of reagent a or w/e then fill the cuvette to the line with my ato water. Hit button and wait for c2 to pop up. Grab the other dropper push the plunger for the tank water put in cuvette then add packet of reagent b. Shake vigorously then insert into tester and push button, and voila you got your reading
I do not find the new version to be cumbersome or irreproducible readings.

Reef Wizard

tomtheturkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hanna marine master got it on a deal and test most parameters weekly. The calcium is good as long as you have 0 TDS RODI or Distilled water. Dont wash cuvettes with tap and you will get consistent readings. I wash with RODI and air dry. I prefer hanna as it is digital and easy to read. Salifert is what I use as backup. along with once in a while ICP testing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you know it is accurate?

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the PO4 LR, NO3 HR, and the alk to match the KH in the water change bin to tank parameters. So when I do WCs I’m using the Hanna for tank and fresh water. The Hanna and my Neptune are nearly identical readings, so I’m guessing the Hanna and Apex are bang on or they are both wrong….

monica HHF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask me it is worth picking and choosing. My favorites are the Alk, Ultralow Range Phosphate, and High Range Nitrate. These all use 1 reagent and are some of the most accurate and easy to use.

Some of the other checkers use 2 or even 3 reagents and are not the most accurate. The checkers are not the best for measuring everything.
These three are my favorite also. I have a full reef. I have other testers but they are hard to read.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you get any I’d get the ULR phosphate followed by the ALK

then “maybe” the high range Nitrate
the calcium checker is garbage
I have the magnesium and copper but honestly those are overkill
edited

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I regularly use my elk, nitrate, ultra low range phosphate checkers. I bought the calcium Checker and I regret it. I barely use it. I have the pH Checker but after a few tests it just shows above range error.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
&
I absolutely do not, I often question all of the testers but my tank seems to be doing good and when I test all my parameters seem within reason and are consistent. The only way to remove as much human error as possible would be an ICP test right?
Humans perform ICP measurements. No relief there from human error.

No one knows what the accuracy is for an ICP measurement, not even the vendors. Estimates indicate ICP measurements do not perform much better and may perform worse than the Hanna Checker.

Most successful aquarists are unlikely to know exactly how reliable their measurements are. The good news is that accurate measurements are probably not critical for maintaining a reef aquarium because the acceptable concentration range of chemical species is likely wide. Consistent concentration might be more important, though even this notion might not be supported by science fact.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely do not, I often question all of the testers but my tank seems to be doing good and when I test all my parameters seem within reason and are consistent. The only way to remove as much human error as possible would be an ICP test right?
I think I have bad news for you.

ICP is not more accurate than hobby test kits

Reef Rhino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Hanna Alk, Nitrate HR, and Phosphate ULR.

I also have Magnesium, but I would avoid their Calcium tester and definitely avoid their PH tester which I think is junk.

I have never bothered with Ammonia or Nitrite testing.

Back