Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regalmovies GIF by Regal

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-My husband told me I look like I'm dressed to go into Jumanji this morning. :thinking-face:

Hat too ?? ... pics to prove... :thinking-face: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
hahaha no im missing the hat

Khaiki colored pants with leather belt, Leather knee high boots, and a brown jacket. I guess it has a safari vibe.

Dwayne Johnson Pose GIF by Jumanji: The Next Level

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hahaha no im missing the hat

Khaiki colored pants with leather belt, Leather knee high boots, and a brown jacket. I guess it has a safari vibe.

Dwayne Johnson Pose GIF by Jumanji: The Next Level

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been soul searching a little. Yesterday I got notice that rates for child care are going up again. With cost of living increases and child care costs out pacing any pay increases I have received, I've been having a hard time justifying staying in the hobby in mind. I can't help by wonder/ feel like I am being selfish using what little disposable income we have left on hobby cost, rather than stuffing it into our saving account for our kids later. I'm really torn about it. I'm not making a decision just yet. I am going to sit with the feelings for a bit, but thats where I am at this week.

I have tomorrow off, so Happy Friday to everyone else that does as well!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been soul searching a little. Yesterday I got notice that rates for child care are going up again. With cost of living increases and child care costs out pacing any pay increases I have received, I've been having a hard time justifying staying in the hobby in mind. I can't help by wonder/ feel like I am being selfish using what little disposable income we have left on hobby cost, rather than stuffing it into our saving account for our kids later. I'm really torn about it. I'm not making a decision just yet. I am going to sit with the feelings for a bit, but thats where I am at this week.

I get it. The guilt after every purchase, all that maintenance. Only one solution: strike down child labor laws! A few shifts in the mines'll be good for 'em.
ben stiller something GIF

Screenshot_20240328-071149.png

We're here for you, highs and lows, breaks and triumphant returns!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are all ready in. Why not just maintain what you have currently until things change?
Mostly because I have been waiting for things to change but they keep going the opposite direction. I was anticipating a big break in childcare expenses coming this summer with both my kids going to the older group. However, the rate increase knocked that out of the question. It just seems to keep happening that way, right when I think things will ease up. I had planned on using the extra money to go back to adding to the money we have put away. The goal post keeps moving and I just feel like I'm being selfish.

I need to map out my ongoing hobby expenses, which honestly are minimal because, I do the bare minimum.

Then there is the expenses of getting the tank where I want it. I need a new wet side Mp 10 ( I've been using a spare tunze because I didnt want to spend the money) but Im not happy with it. Then there are the fish. I currently have very little fish in the big tank and I need a big CUC purchase.

When I add up what would go out, I just feel bad not using that money for something different, like experiences my kids will remember or their education etc.

I started rambling....Sorry to sound so negative. I realize things could be a lot more dire in life and worth complaining about. It's just where my headspace is currently regarding the hobby. I am fortunate to have a close group of friends within that are really supportive and helpful.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately I think things are only about to get
Much more expensive after that container ship incident. I’m personally just not buying any expensive coral, and working hard on keeping cost down in the hobby. Fortunately for me, I have 3 40g bins full of aquarium supplies in my storage, and enough salt mix and filters cartridges to keep me going for at least another year.
Also cooking at home has really saved,
I discovered that you can grill Chuck roast just as good as a ribeye.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more then willing to provide frags of anything I have. I don't have a lot of gear but I have a couple wavemakers you can have. Fish I would scour around I think you maybe able to find some local there. Or just keep getting poop from Jason :) I hear he is full of it.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I think things are only about to get
Much more expensive after that container ship incident. I’m personally just not buying any expensive coral, and working hard on keeping cost down in the hobby. Fortunately for me, I have 3 40g bins full of aquarium supplies in my storage, and enough salt mix and filters cartridges to keep me going for at least another year.
Also cooking at home has really saved,
I discovered that you can grill Chuck roast just as good as a ribeye.
true ... and I rarely eat out as well. You'll have to make a grilled chuck roast at the next gathering... served with a. side of mushrooms ::wink:: :winking-face-with-tongue:

I am more then willing to provide frags of anything I have. I don't have a lot of gear but I have a couple wavemakers you can have. Fish I would scour around I think you maybe able to find some local there. Or just keep getting poop from Jason :) I hear he is full of it.
I appreciate that. Jason 's poop turned out to be a little too potent ;)o_O

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ah the cost-of-living bump that doesn't match the increased living costs, how well I know thee.
Dont worry, wait tell monimum wage ups to 50 per hour. We'll all need to figure out who to feed, our pets or ourselves.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back