Brute can or storage bin for mixing station.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering, why do all the mixing stations I see use brute bins or "round" tanks? Even for small capacity stations. I want to know what you all think about using 30 gallon storage bins like the one in the pic? it should be strong enough. I NEED to be as low cost as possible. I have a design in my head but wanna know what you all think?
Screenshots_2024-05-11-22-42-34.png

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the wheels are the key. I moved 50 gallons of saltwater from the garage to the house tank today. without the wheels it would have been tough.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 32 gallon brute tall round for mixing (trash can). If you go wide and rectangle depending on the structure and how well it’s made. If you max out the amount of gallons it will “contain” it tends to want to bend. Trust me i bought a 30 gallon rectangle storage bend from target and when i maxed out the “gallons”. The container bent and water came right out…

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 32 gallon brute tall round for mixing (trash can). If you go wide and rectangle depending on the structure and how well it’s made. If you max out the amount of gallons it will “contain” it tends to want to bend. Trust me i bought a 30 gallon rectangle storage bend from target and when i maxed out the “gallons”. The container bent and water came right out…
Thats what I was afraid of. I have a VERY thin space I want to put a mix station in, does not have to be mobile. maybe I can think of a way to reinforce the sides somehow.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 main reasons for this question is that I need to make saltwater that is Sterile. I grow Phytoplankton and Copepods in fairly large quantities, and I have to store it. Does anyone know if the plastic will leech anything?
I was thinking of getting ingredient storage bins from a restaurant supply co. but they are UBER expensive.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with those bins is they don't hold their shape when filled with water, I know this from experience. They were never designed to hold water and the sides fold out when filled and will spill water everywhere. Round storage containers are the way to go.

Edit - I did re-enforce the sides of my rectangular bin with 2x4's and that worked for a little bit, but the sides still folded within the support. Granted I was using a 75 gallon storage bin so I had a lot of water in it

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only want to hold 30 Gallons but, thats 250 lb. without going into all the physics math and stuff, I would guess the same would happen. Oof! Oh well. round it is.
so now the last question is, can the brute cans be sterilized?

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The advantage to a Brute can is also that its NSF certified so its safe to assume it's not leeching "stuff" into your water.
  • Meets NSF 2, 21 approval and USDA meat and poultry group listed, ensuring regulatory compliance for food storage and clean ability

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only want to hold 30 Gallons but, thats 250 lb. without going into all the physics math and stuff, I would guess the same would happen. Oof! Oh well. round it is.
so now the last question is, can the brute cans be sterilized?
why not just use an aquarium? I see 40g tanks for sale a lot, really cheap. Could maybe pick up something used, LFS might even have one in the back they're not using if ya ask.

Could even watch for the Petco half off sale and grab a 40g then.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 main reasons for this question is that I need to make saltwater that is Sterile. I grow Phytoplankton and Copepods in fairly large quantities, and I have to store it. Does anyone know if the plastic will leech anything?
I was thinking of getting ingredient storage bins from a restaurant supply co. but they are UBER expensive.

As so many have already mentioned, I too use 40 gallon Brute cans as I know they do not leech anything into the water.

Check out Tractor Supply. They offer water storage containers of many different shapes and sizes. You may find something there more suitable than a storage bin.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was afraid of. I have a VERY thin space I want to put a mix station in, does not have to be mobile. maybe I can think of a way to reinforce the sides somehow.
When you say it's a thin space, what do you mean? 10 inches? 12 inches? 16 inches? What about length and width?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back