Coralvue Hydros Automated Water Testing Unit - MAVEN - ALK/CAL/MAG/PHOS/NITRATE

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@n2585722
LOLOL... u were pretty spot on in that trident thread on the price....
Even tho you did say you ment for it to be the trident price..

If its 540 dollars... there is no way in hell i am getting the new trident.
I will just pick up a MAVEN, have a extra fallback on ALK CA MG tester to compare with, along with PO4 and NO3 added.

I highly doubt the new trident will cost any less then that, and the fact MAVEN is stand alone unit, its pretty much sold for me.
I was saying that that price is closer to the price of the new Launch which is a new Hydros controller and it is considered a entry level controller and not near as complex as the Maven. So my guess the Maven would be a lot more than that. Here is a link to the Launch https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-launch . The Maven does not list a price yet but is on their webpage.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news on a set price?
I think a trident leak says the new one is 750 dollars.

So the new trident is definitely out of the picture for me.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump is internal. No external or other devices needed. Except for reagent bottles which are kept external.
If you want corrective dosing you’ll need to buy their dosing pump. There is a video on the whole inner-workings on youtube

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it is in the $1000 range. Their site showed $999 and $1200 and both have been removed.

That podcast was very disappointing. Just talked a bunch of fluff. Stuff we already knew. I want a rough price. But it was very clear this is in the infant stages and they just did this because Neptune started teasing theirs.
Agreed!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1200 is too much, i own an X3 and just bought a Kraken but I'm really disappointed with this price point. Hobby is expensive enough already. Crazy.
the two Tridents together are more expensive than a Maven and you would still need to get an Apex controller to even use them. So they are in line with the competition and come in a little less expensive. If any of them could offer it at a lower price I think they would be doing that. It is not a must but a nice to have.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are low sales volume, luxury items. I am waiting to see how it performs (accuracy/reliability) before I think about it too hard. I agree it is very expensive, but I think it is in line with the market for similar items. Certainly if you have the time/energy, and don't need to test too often, manual options may be more economical or at least less of an initial outlay.

This is just another option with may make sense for some people but not others. For me my job is too many hours and not flexible, so expensive automation has more appeal than if I was working a 40 hour week or something like that.

I have no idea what development and manufacturing costs are like on the Maven. Would Hydros be making money on each sale at $999 or losing money? I doubt many outside of CoralVue know the answer to that question.

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the two Tridents together are more expensive than a Maven and you would still need to get an Apex controller to even use them. So they are in line with the competition and come in a little less expensive. If any of them could offer it at a lower price I think they would be doing that. It is not a must but a nice to have.

Trident is also overpriced. Just because they are a little cheaper doesn't justify the 1200 price point. We don't even know what the reagents cost is going to be either yet. If talking from a business perspective CV would benefit from making the cost of entry more affordable and getting people into the Hydros ecosystem and profiting in the long run from having people make the switch from Apex and expanding further into the Hydros collective, and the long term use of reagents. Gain some market share!! I don't know why anyone would try and justify anything over 1k.

Price this for the HOBBYISTS. 1200 is unreasonable for a huge majority of people. Its just a couple hundred under the cost of my tank and stand! Insane. Had me sold until i saw the price tag. Maybe I'm just poor.

Even the Kraken was a little overpriced in my opinion, but i still bought it because its more critical than automated testing, but i can justify that as opposed to the Maven. I'll just stick to Hannah and test once a month. It is a luxury so with that being said a lot of people will pass at that price and put in the little but of extra time to test manually or stay at Apex ....

Again this is coming from someone who is already invested in Hydros

Last edited:

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good for people to voice their concerns about price but actions are what will drive a price drop. If people don’t buy it at $1200 CV is more likely to drop the price.
I am currently an Apex guy. Does CV normally do sakes 1 to 2 times per year like Neptune systems?

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good for people to voice their concerns about price but actions are what will drive a price drop. If people don’t buy it at $1200 CV is more likely to drop the price.
I am currently an Apex guy. Does CV normally do sakes 1 to 2 times per year like Neptune systems?
Agreed! Vote with your wallet people. Hopefully, since there still is time until release more people will express their concerns about the price.

I have not seen sales personally. I have payed full price for both my X3, Kraken & power strips cords, temp probes, etc.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, if they don't sell they will just quit making them. They will not sell them for less that it cost them to make.

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great product for all. More innovation is good for all. As far as price. This is a controller, monitor, tester is almost does everything but wipes the glass. Seriously I think it is a value, I have had a Alkatronic and mastertronic. One was great the other was junk and an expensive door stop. Reef bot. ?? I think if one looks at the product and see there is after sales support and customer service. What else do you really need I am sure the reagent will be a better value then others too. This is a luxury item or an insurance policy. It is not needed for success but it would be very nice to have.
With me having many hydros devices this will be added to my collective for sure.

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree - if this is reasonably accurate, easy to clean, and reliable, I think it will be worth the price. I'm going to wait for early adopters to review it before I consider this over my Hanna Marine Master.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maven looks really good at $1200.

Original Trident is $675. If Neptune prices Trident NP at $525, it will be same as Maven, plus Maven has smaller form factor and doesn't need the APEX head unit. It it also way more customizable with testing schedule.

If Neptune prices Trident at $675 like the Original Trident, then it's going to be like $1350 combined & more expensive than Maven.

If Neptune was smart, they would price this Trident NP low and keep their market share. If a lot of people adopt Maven, then they will start going to use all Hydros equipment. Might cost them a lot more than just Trident NP.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back