Creating your own underwater lawn: Have you thought about setting up a seagrass tank?

Have you thought about setting up a seagrass tank?

• Yes, I have successfully set up and maintained a seagrass tank.

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Yes, I have attempted to set up a seagrass tank with a less than high level of success.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Yes, I have thought about setting up a seagrass tank but have not attempted it yet.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • No, I have not thought about setting up a seagrass tank.

Votes: 118 59.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Creating your own underwater lawn: Have you thought about setting up a seagrass tank?

There are many themes and visuals to implement when designing and setting up a tank. The coral curation approach is common with a focus on adding many small frags and (hopefully) growing them out into small colonies. This may include an emphasis on blue light to make the color fluorescent corals pop. Other approaches may include a minimalistic layout, a lagoon style, macroalgae, and many other styles of tanks. One approach that would often fall under a biotope design is a seagrass tank that mimic the grass flats of certain shallow coastal area. This approach is unique and can be rewarding, however seagrass tanks can be challenging. Have you ever thought about setting up a seagrass tank?

BrandonMcHenry_Seagrass.jpeg

Photo by @Brandon McHenry

If you would like to learn more about seagrass tanks, the related build process, and other details, please consider reading the thread about the seagrass aquarium at the Ocean Discover Visitor’s Center.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never thought about it before, but I'm sure as heck gonna think about it now!
Its been on my list for a long time but I haven’t done it yet. My plan is to attempt a biotope similar to the Tampa Bay flats.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually set up my fuge to be a seagrass tank. On another forum I watched and chatted with an aquarist who very successfully had a seagrass/macroalgae tank. I loved the naturalness of it so tried it myself. Mine did not thrive but I suspect that my lighting was not right. He used a metal halide and supplemented with something else I think. My tank had T5s.

I wouldn't mind giving it another go but right now my mixed reef is looking so good that I plan to enjoy it. I am a one tank gal, well except the sump. Who knows, maybe I will invest in better lighting for the sump/fuge and try again.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if I could ever find seagrass.
I have a macro display but no idea where i can buy seagrass.
I've never ordered from the sites below, but they both offer seagrass, and I've heard that they're both legitimate.

For tropical seagrasses (Turtlegrass, Manatee Grass, and Shoal Grass):
For a coldwater seagrass (Eelgrass):

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ordered from the sites below, but they both offer seagrass, and I've heard that they're both legitimate.

For tropical seagrasses (Turtlegrass, Manatee Grass, and Shoal Grass):
For a coldwater seagrass (Eelgrass):
They only have the Turtle grass in stock. Which of the three is easier to grow? I know they are all mostly difficult.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only have the Turtle grass in stock. Which of the three is easier to grow? I know they are all mostly difficult.
I don’t know - not many people seem to keep them, let alone keep multiple to compare with. That said, the quotes below have some good info that may help:
I don’t think Seagrasses have popped up on their site before. I wish they did :( (though their substrate requirements would probably make it difficult to keep them pest-free).
@AlgaeBarn

Those seem to be the main two sources of seagrass these days. I do not have experience with Aquaticus Plants (@SeaGrass Cullen), though its seems to have a good reputation, and Tropical Fish Plus (@TFP2021) offers manatee grass (Syringodium filiforme) for a great price (20+ individual plants for $8), though the macroalgae I received from them did contain hitchhikers.

Sources that currently have/recently stocked the following seagrasses (in the states):

Turtle grass (Thalassia testudinum):
- Aquaticus Plants
- FloridaPets
- Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory
- Addictive Reef Keeping

- Gulf Coast Ecosystems once sold turtle grass (Thalassia testudinum)

Manatee grass (Syringodium filiforme):
- Aquaticus Plants
- Aquaculture Nursery Farms
- Addictive Reef Keeping

Shoal grass (Halodule wrightii)
- Aquaticus Plants

Eelgrass (Zostera marina) (coldwater seagrass):
- FloridaPets
- Gulf of Maine

Halophila
- Ask Aquaticus Plants for availability

Outside the U.S.:

Sickle seagrass (Thalassia hemprichii)
- Charm (occasionally)

Information:
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookseagrass.htm
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/sl/index.php

Pictures?
Some fun seagrass setups for anyone who cares:
Here's a view of the manatee grass (Syringodium filiforme) I am growing in my macroalgae system's DT. It has grown and shrunk over time, but is currently the tallest it has been at over 16" or so:
16119F0F-FB01-4EFF-976C-F977CE069EB4.jpeg

A97229A3-E916-4813-BBAC-0C1C73DE9A17.jpeg

Other shoots growing in my refugium:
1661999587819.jpeg

I don’t have any other seagrass, so here are some of the most beautiful, creative, and unique seagrass setups I have seen, in my opinion:
1661999690107.png

1661999778583.png

1661999916431.png

1661999952408.png

1662000025251.png

1662000834389.png

1662000876856.png

1662000599196.png

Not true seagrass setups, but close enough:

1662000494959.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back