Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow never would have even considered bleach. So it's not enough by itself to kill dinos (along with everything else)? You still need the other 2 components? Pretty sure that will kill your microfauna. Even a few drops of Bayer would.
The ME is safer than bleach so I would rather have a reduced amount of bleach with a higher amount of ME
The melafix I am using as a binder it seems to break the ability for the cells to want to pair up.
The bleach is a given killer

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tilliward is there a write up coming or is that it? Now for others to test?
If this is conclusive then I may work on a write up but the general public would shy away from the introduction of bleach even if I prove it's effectiveness

Rasengan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ME is safer than bleach so I would rather have a reduced amount of bleach with a higher amount of ME
The melafix I am using as a binder it seems to break the ability for the cells to want to pair up.
The bleach is a given killer

Have you given more thought on how to get to hard to reach areas of your system that the dinos may be hiding at? I know you said you already dosed your tank but did you get 100% of them?

Also, there is an all natural bleach alternative out there by using household priducts such as lemon juice and H2O2. Is this a viable alternative to the chemical?

EDIT: here's a link: http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/diy-bleach-alternative/

I've never actually looked at the components of Clorox but I'm assuming it contains a ton of nasty dangerous chemicals.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1469378831446-1554546734.jpg
Crazy right!
Yes bleach is in this tank. You can smell it

I never claimed to be normal lol

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1469378831446-1554546734.jpg
Crazy right!
Yes bleach is in this tank. You can smell it

I never claimed to be normal lol
The only thing that concerns me a bit is your tank is a bare bottom frag tank. For us who have sand and live rock I wonder is using the bleach would cause more negative effects such as a tank crash...

Rasengan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that concerns me a bit is your tank is a bare bottom frag tank. For us who have sand and live rock I wonder is using the bleach would cause more negative effects such as a tank crash...

Mass die off of pods and other microfauna would at best cause a mini-cycle and at worst a crash. And if you don't get 100% of the dinos then it'd be just like Metro where it worked in the beginning but the ones that survived just replicated back.

Of course when think about what happened in the Metro experiment, you killed off all the ones that were susceptible to Metro. The ones that survived survived due to survival of the fittest. And now they've reproduced and you have a tank full of dinos not affected by Metro. If anything survives the bleach, it's possible you'll have to keep dosing to kill the stragglers or worse - you'll be left with some kind of super strong strain of dinos...

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood but metro seems to have worked for me so far. I did upgrade to a larger tank 1.5 weeks ago, keeping the same rocks, same water, livestock, just replacing the sand and no dinos to be seen yet. Just diatoms which I assume is to the fresh sand.

Perhaps it's the larger dose I started with that wiped a majority of them out so they didn't get a chance to be immune with the 125mg dose?

I sent @twilliard a large sample of my dinos post metro and I remember him saying he did not see any healthy cells.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mass die off of pods and other microfauna would at best cause a mini-cycle and at worst a crash. And if you don't get 100% of the dinos then it'd be just like Metro where it worked in the beginning but the ones that survived just replicated back.

Of course when think about what happened in the Metro experiment, you killed off all the ones that were susceptible to Metro. The ones that survived survived due to survival of the fittest. And now they've reproduced and you have a tank full of dinos not affected by Metro. If anything survives the bleach, it's possible you'll have to keep dosing to kill the stragglers or worse - you'll be left with some kind of super strong strain of dinos...
Well my dinos are toxic and hAve killed off any pods I had.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this..

Anyone who is dealing with dinoflagellates knows the tank is doomed.
I have been working endlessly for up to 10 hours a day trying my hardest to find what people call a "solution"
So people come to a breaking point with dinoflagellates
Tank comes down. That people is a 100% loss of everything from bacteria to fish.
Dinoflagellates are no joke! So if I can save a single coral or fish without a complete teardown then that IMO is a positive step from total loss.

I don't get paid to sit over a scope all day but it is my desire to find such solutions to prevent a total loss.

We have hit 71 pages, this is how hard I have been working on dinoflagellates
It is exhausting
No one else is trying to help kill these guys so it's all on my shoulders.
I have a saying in life "patients is a virtue"
If people question the tank losses of what I am doing then their tank is already doomed.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this..

Anyone who is dealing with dinoflagellates knows the tank is doomed.
I have been working endlessly for up to 10 hours a day trying my hardest to find what people call a "solution"
So people come to a breaking point with dinoflagellates
Tank comes down. That people is a 100% loss of everything from bacteria to fish.
Dinoflagellates are no joke! So if I can save a single coral or fish without a complete teardown then that IMO is a positive step from total loss.

I don't get paid to sit over a scope all day but it is my desire to find such solutions to prevent a total loss.

We have hit 71 pages, this is how hard I have been working on dinoflagellates
It is exhausting
No one else is trying to help kill these guys so it's all on my shoulders.
I have a saying in life "patients is a virtue"
If people question the tank losses of what I am doing then their tank is already doomed.
I agree, I was just throwing out a observation.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so as 100% hth, you need .003ML per gallon.

So when this comes into play with youre write up the bleach dosage will be

.003ml divided by the percent listed on the bottle as a decimal... so 8percent will be .003\.08=.0375ml per gallon.

Or say your bottle says 6.75percent hth. The math wpuld be .003\.0675=0.045ml per gallon.

Due to the toxic and disinfecting properties of bleach this could be crucial to both ensure its effectiveness and prevent total irradicatiom of bacteria and things especially given that bleach can range from 5 to 12 percent in liquid form...

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured i wouldnt needed but was just getting a dose base off of for everyone. Are you ready to give the dose per 10 gallons?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back