Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the dinos have returned and are making a very quick come back. Growing on rocks and some coral bases now where before they were only on the sand.
[emoji35]

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the dinos have returned and are making a very quick come back. Growing on rocks and some coral bases now where before they were only on the sand.
[emoji35]
Sorry to hear that. Is that after metro treatment or twilliards new bleach treatment?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna have to make sure to mention which treatments are being used or get a new coralwash/bleach/teatree oil thread going. I personally don't want to follow another thread. :)

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone wont last nearly long enough. H2O2 a bit longer then ozone but still pretty short term. Chlorine potentially longer then both.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So correct me if I missed something but the dosing measurements are:

.003/chlorine%= per gallon
Example chlorine of 5%
.003/.05=.06per gallon.

5ml per 10 gallons of melafix
2ml per 10 gallon of ME 4x dip

Shut off uv/carbon/gfo?
How long till they get turned back on and when to perform water change?

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give an update on my dinos. I dosed the seachem ever day for 14 days. Dinos went away and haven't came back its been about 2 to 3 weeks now.

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give an update on my dinos. I dosed the seachem ever day for 14 days. Dinos went away and haven't came back its been about 2 to 3 weeks now.

Cool! Same here. I don't think the metro was a complete failure or ineffective. I just feel like the 125mg/3day dose was too weak and some become immune.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting thread and work here @twilliard
Reading from page one has taken me some days and I'm glad to have reached the end so to speak.
Look forward to your conclusion on the new test and to see how the outcome of a fully stocked reef tank will hold up to the new treatment.
Hat is off to you for your hard work and dedication !

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you tell us a little more? Have you done water changes, like on the 15th day/weekly %age? Are you seeing any bubbles or any sign which may lead you to think that they are not gone? Are you dosing anything now, like h202, vinegar? Are you running GAC and/or GFO? What is your test results for NO3, PO4 and pH? Thanks!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am willing to be one of the first test dummies if needed. I do not seem to have a toxic type, yet it is very invasive and bubbly.

The interesting side effect will be on coraline... i think it is a bit more tolerable

Have you started using the bleach method? What are you seeing if you have started? Are you using a liquid bleach or granular, like Kem -Tek? Are you running a skimmer? Do you have sand or rock in the tank?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you started using the bleach method? What are you seeing if you have started? Are you using a liquid bleach or granular, like Kem -Tek? Are you running a skimmer? Do you have sand or rock in the tank?

Thanks!
I have not yet started it. However the bleach formula only works for luquid bleach. If you use granular hth, like a shock treatment for a pool or something it would have to be calculated in grams and the mixed with water.... alot of work so liquid works best

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I am on some heavy detox medications so I am a lille slow
I thank you all for the interest in this as I didn't think this would be accepeted.
Thank you guys for keeping up the questions and ansers.
During the course of when I was awake yesterday I would add 4 drops of bleach to the tank and nothing else to try to observe the risks.
None and the colors if the corals are spectacular
Fish is alive and all inverts are alive.
I have never seen my snails go so crazy cleaning up. The algae is like candy to them now.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That great news...

Is it safe to say this dosing schedule is up for a try? A test on my system would cover a reef tank with live rock, sand, clam, 3 kinds of nems, lps, non- photosynthic corals, shrimp and a sensitive wrasse.

So correct me if I missed something but the dosing measurements are:
.003/chlorine%= per gallon
Example chlorine of 5%
.003/.05=.06per gallon.
5ml per 10 gallons of melafix
2ml per 10 gallon of ME 4x dip

Shut off uv/carbon/gfo?
How long till they get turned back on and when to perform water change?

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us a little more? Have you done water changes, like on the 15th day/weekly %age? Are you seeing any bubbles or any sign which may lead you to think that they are not gone? Are you dosing anything now, like h202, vinegar? Are you running GAC and/or GFO? What is your test results for NO3, PO4 and pH? Thanks!
I am using AF I dosed for about 1 week every day with the reactor and carbon running no change. Removed the reactor and carbon and dosed for another week and one day overnight they were gone. No more bubbles no slime nothing. I have done 2 water changes so far 5g each. I have not turned the reactor back on or added carbon to the sysyem as of yet. Hopefully today I will.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • D/C

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Both

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 9 18.4%
Back