Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through about 70 pages now and I'm going to pop my medical 2 cents in the form of a handful of questions and statements.

1. Did anyone try dosing metronidazole more than once per day? When we dose in humans we do every 12 hours or every 8 hours depending on what bug we're covering. (This is mostly due to the metabolism half life in humans) 125 mg/10 gal is not very much drug at all from a pharmaceutical standpoint and I suspect the drug trough concentration levels are dipping rather low around the 21-23.99 hr mark before the next dose. This could have led to some of the 'resistance' some members alleged, although I'm somewhat skeptical that metronidazole-resistant dinos developed after just 3 days of dosing. Now, I saw a couple posts regarding the 'active in the water column' activity that Seachem quoted for Metroplex. When they say 'active in the water column at 48hrs', just how much drug is left in the water column? Much will be in the cells and livestock and even more will be sitting on the substrate having never hit it's intended target. This is especially true with a compound like metronidazole, which struggles to be fully soluble in water. Some will merely fall to the substrate having never really hit any targets whatsoever. When we talk drug half-lives for 'full clearance' we will typically reference the point of 3 half lives. So essentially a half of a half of a half. At that point you technically still have drug in your system, but it's such a low level as to be nearly ineffective. In humans this point is reached at roughly 24 hours +/- ~2 hours. I saw this quoted a few times as the half-life in water, which is probably not the case as there's no metabolism pathways per-se destroying the drug. What IS destroying the drug is reactions with other compounds in the water (organic and inorganic), light degradation(UV for sure and probably our standard LED/t5/MH lights) and potentially oxidative stress in the form of hydrogen peroxide as some mentioned they were dosing both together. I would be curious if Seachem had any water stability parameters or studies done to show a true drug-destruction half life in aquariums.

2. What were the results of people who dosed longer than 3 days? For the most part, we never dose metronidazole for less than 5 days in humans(rare to see 5 days even) and it's almost always 7-14 days, with 10 being very common. If DNA synthesis for cell division is merely being inhibited by the metronidazole, then it makes sense that when the drug is removed, some of the cells are able to boot their DNA/RNA encoding back up and start dividing again. Also being assumed is that the metronidazole penetrated into every single cell of dinos, which is highly unlikely. 3 days or even 10 days might not have been a long enough time to cycle out all the reproducing cells. If we're able to effectively ****** the DNA/RNA synthesis of the cell, why not dose the drug through the entire life-cycle of the protozoan to ensure 100% reproductive retardation and thus no further generations?

3. Is it possible that the metronidazole that you've dosed once per day is merely dusting the top layers of the dinos and the dinos living underneath the top layers are surviving and still reproducing due to having a 'meat shield' above them? We run into this in humans where folks will have horrible cysts or other large infections where we have to go in debride the area and greatly reduce the number of bacterial cells that the body and the antibiotics have to kill, boosting efficacy.

4. I saw several posts of people dumping large doses in out of frustration. Did this lead to any livestock issues? If no, what about taking that large dose and spreading it out over 3 doses in a day? So essentially 1/3 dosed every 8 hours.

5. When we dose metronidazole in humans for a protozoan infection, there will be some protozoan cell death due to the drug itself. However, quite a bit of the cellular death will come from the body's own immune system gobbling up and destroying the protozoan that has been rendered temporarily sterile by the drug. In the reef setting there's no immune system there to lyse the cells that are 'stunned'. Our means of lysis is removal, which twilliard touched on repeatedly. However, I feel that you need to be removing and dosing continuously for a while...possibly quite a while longer than 3-10 days.

Now, I don't really want anyone to take this as a dose your tank with 3x what you were for 3x longer than you were, but I'm curious if there was anyone out there that tried this method or something similar to it, as I feel it may have had better results.

Not trying to hijack your thread, just some stream of consciousness thoughts that I jotted down while reading through several hundred posts.

Has anyone tried dosing Metro 3 times a day and for at least 10 days like suggested above? Seems logical that it would work based on some of the results the Metro users were getting.

Sorry for the questions again @rrueger ...
1. any signs of them?
2. so if I read it correctly, your second dose- aqua-zole, you doubled the dose from 125 to 250 metro and therefore dosed a total of 1000mg for 3 days?
3. when did you add the zeovit?
4. when did you add the pods?
5. which pods did you add from algaebarn?
6. did you use the aqua-zole because it was slow to dissolve or because of other reasons?
Thanks!!!

Tomorrow I will remove the sandbed and LR. Then add a half dose of metro...then continue on using your schedule.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. 2 days since seeing any areas of sand that needed to be removed. I also stopped dosing red sea reef energy not sure if that had anything to do with feeding the dinos. But I am only feeding frozen fish food, reef roids and live plankton. So far I have cut down light schedule, turned off red and green leds, 1 bottle of Dr. Tims live bacteria, removed affected areas of sand, and added Purgen. Will be adding another bottle of bacteria tomorrow. I have 5000 pods coming Monday. Have not used any dino-x or h202 yet. Corals are also looking sooooo much better since I stopped adding chemicals.

a58e29cbc92b06c7c8a9042306d19ccf.jpg

jje2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. 2 days since seeing any areas of sand that needed to be removed. I also stopped dosing red sea reef energy not sure if that had anything to do with feeding the dinos. But I am only feeding frozen fish food, reef roids and live plankton. So far I have cut down light schedule, turned off red and green leds, 1 bottle of Dr. Tims live bacteria, removed affected areas of sand, and added Purgen. Will be adding another bottle of bacteria tomorrow. I have 5000 pods coming Monday. Have not used any dino-x or h202 yet. Corals are also looking sooooo much better since I stopped adding chemicals.

a58e29cbc92b06c7c8a9042306d19ccf.jpg
Pods? What brand, from where? I'd like to purchase some as well to restore pod population which is completely gone. Perhaps a silly Q, but does adding pods/having pods in the system add to nutrients overall?

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods? What brand, from where? I'd like to purchase some as well to restore pod population which is completely gone. Perhaps a silly Q, but does adding pods/having pods in the system add to nutrients overall?
Algeabarn. Can't beat the price for 5000+ pods. Free shipping over $45.

That's a good question and I'm not 100% sure but I would say they do but not enough to affect any numbers our test kits can read.

jje2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algeabarn. Can't beat the price for 5000+ pods. Free shipping over $45.

That's a good question and I'm not 100% sure but I would say they do but not enough to affect any numbers our test kits can read.
...So the more pods the merrier then??? :)

jje2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be careful with this.
Adding thousands of pods with a survival rate of say 20% all the ones that die will increase DOC's for a short period.
Knew it seemed too good to be true, I'm sorry again, DOC's?

Bathsalts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity... I know were dealing Dynos but would Metroplex be effective against Cyano?

Gayle Dace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick note. Today after over a month of fighting dinos, my tank looks great. My zoas are all opening again--they've been closed for a long time due to the dinos. I've been dosing hydrogen peroxide for 6 or 7 days now (old brain lost track), plus adding M7 and now Stability daily. I had also seeded with copepods about 3 weeks ago. I have more pods coming next week and will continue dosing peroxide for 4 more days. What is weird is that I am now seeing a lot of other algae pop up--diatoms, a bit of cyano, and actually green algae on the glass that I just wipe off (pod food!). I had always read that peroxide will kill all algae, but not so in my tank. I'm actually happy to see the new algae, because it means the dinos are losing--there was no sign of any other algae while they were in control. Oh, and I had also peroxide dipped my worst covered rock, which made me afraid of an ammonia spike, but that hasn't happened luckily. Got rid of a few nasty fire worms and not so nasty bristle worms in the process!
I also order the stuff for the FB method just in case. I'm just hoping this continues--the Metro 10 day dose worked, but 3 days later they were back in full swing. My plan now is finish the peroxide dosing and then continue with a maintenance dose (not sure what that will be right now), add more pods, and continue the bacteria for a few more days after peroxide dosing is done. After the pods arrive, I'll start adding live phyto to my tank. Hoping this all works! My zoas look gorgeous tonight! Need to check out some iffy areas under the scope to make sure it is diatoms and not dino.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick note. Today after over a month of fighting dinos, my tank looks great. My zoas are all opening again--they've been closed for a long time due to the dinos. I've been dosing hydrogen peroxide for 6 or 7 days now (old brain lost track), plus adding M7 and now Stability daily. I had also seeded with copepods about 3 weeks ago. I have more pods coming next week and will continue dosing peroxide for 4 more days. What is weird is that I am now seeing a lot of other algae pop up--diatoms, a bit of cyano, and actually green algae on the glass that I just wipe off (pod food!). I had always read that peroxide will kill all algae, but not so in my tank. I'm actually happy to see the new algae, because it means the dinos are losing--there was no sign of any other algae while they were in control. Oh, and I had also peroxide dipped my worst covered rock, which made me afraid of an ammonia spike, but that hasn't happened luckily. Got rid of a few nasty fire worms and not so nasty bristle worms in the process!
I also order the stuff for the FB method just in case. I'm just hoping this continues--the Metro 10 day dose worked, but 3 days later they were back in full swing. My plan now is finish the peroxide dosing and then continue with a maintenance dose (not sure what that will be right now), add more pods, and continue the bacteria for a few more days after peroxide dosing is done. After the pods arrive, I'll start adding live phyto to my tank. Hoping this all works! My zoas look gorgeous tonight! Need to check out some iffy areas under the scope to make sure it is diatoms and not dino.
Great news. I'm also on a similar path. I've Been using Dr tims bacteria and pods. Manual removal and I also stopped dosing red sea reef energy which I think played a huge role now in feeding the dinos. I also am getting brown algea on the glass. I was going to start to dose dino-x or h202 next week.

Gayle Dace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank by the way Bmw! We have very similar tastes in corals--I think I have most of the same stuff (albeit smaller versions) in my 55 gallon--lol. Love your clam--will you leave him in there if you do the h2o2 or Dino-X? I have a little derasa (about 2.5") and moved him to a different tank--I've heard the h202 treatment can be hard on them. So far, though, it hasn't hurt anything, and I either lost a Yuma and a Ricordea to either the dinos or the metro--not sure which. I put my other mushrooms back in, and they are handling the h2o2 treatment well.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank by the way Bmw! We have very similar tastes in corals--I think I have most of the same stuff (albeit smaller versions) in my 55 gallon--lol. Love your clam--will you leave him in there if you do the h2o2 or Dino-X? I have a little derasa (about 2.5") and moved him to a different tank--I've heard the h202 treatment can be hard on them. So far, though, it hasn't hurt anything, and I either lost a Yuma and a Ricordea to either the dinos or the metro--not sure which. I put my other mushrooms back in, and they are handling the h2o2 treatment well.

Thank you.. yes I'm going to leave everything in there. They all have gone though Metro and bleach so some h202 and dinox should be a breeze. I've dosed h202 before but for bryopsis. The clam was fine. I lost some corals and a rbt but not due to dosing rather to the toxins and the inconsistent water quality. It's only been a bit more than a week since I stopped dosing bleach and corals have gained a lot of their old color back. Some have a way to go but, thing are more positive than before. Still have a long road.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would advise that you continue to dose bacteria for more than a few days after you complete the h2o2 dosing Gayle. The bacteria will continue to stay ahead of any dino's that remain.:) Dr. Tim's Waste Away would be a very good addition for the bacteria dosing. Wishing you continued success!

Gayle Dace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I hate to give bad news, but I still have active dinos..:( I pull some stuff off of my water mover and there they were. Along with them were numerous other critters that I have no clue what they are (I need my old zoology books back). Especially prevalent were the long critters that looked like two protozoa stuck together. They had 2 long yellow bars in each of them where they appeared conjoined--any ideas? Going to keep trying...ugh. And, yes, in the lower left of the video, it appears one dino is splitting into 2.
So, I bought this new, cheap microscope from Amazon with a 2 mp camera and am amazed at the quality (around $135). For stuff like this, it is great for the price.

http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/G...[user]=145343464&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going strong over here. So far i have manaully removed the affected ares of sand. Havent had any areas to remove in 3 days. Cur down lighting, stopped red sea reef energy. Using Dr tims bacteria, just added 1/4 bag of algeabarns 5k pods, also using their live phytoplankton and purigen. I have so many pods on the glass finally! Tank is doing much better, my red mini maxi split last night!

f08a3d58e7e920b24636f2ab9d69a055.jpg

5eadb516ec195538d5f85df3186d6ccd.jpg

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need a simple overview of the methods and results. Anyone? Buehler????

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BoneXriffic ,
Are you still dosing bleach twice/day? Seeing any dino's?

@rrueger ,
Still no signs of dinos?
Yes I am still dosing. I am going 35days total, (for fish disease treatment testing) and what I am finding, @Bmwm235i might be interested in this, is initially all the areas I cleaned never came back but now 3 weeks into treatment im seeing the un cleaned hard to get to areas of dinos have turned white and powdery, and is dying off. So i am guessing the prolonged treatment has had a good effect. All coral and fish are great! Also i have maintained the reccomended dose twice a day

Back