Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

silva218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get a hold of what has worked for others.... It seems like bleach is the most effective. Can someone give me a dosing schedule that has been working for them?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all.

First post though have been a regular reader of this site for a long time.

One thing I can say is I don't think heat increases a chance of a bloom. It's been as cold as a badgers nuts in January this summer in ole blighty.

Anyway like a fellow reefer said a couple of posts back out of two years he hasn't really enjoyed his tank much.

I echo this. In two years I've had nudi eating montipora and our favourite Dino's.

On one note anyone that actually beats the stuffing out of them has done more than every major extinction this planet has suffered. Well done. Big a$s rocks from outer space have nothing on chemical cocktails you have experimented with.

After trying the usual blackouts, chemi clean, garlic extreme, dirty tanks, clean tanks, bubbly tanks, blue lit tanks, green lit, red lit, hell even went rainbow for a night, disinfected tanks, complete drain and fresh water refill, replace of sand, live rock etc ....The absolute a$s wipes returned! Out of my clam!

At this point I carried h202 dosing, uv and ozone with daily cleans to no avail.

In the end I decided to turn the kalkwasser to 9 on the ph scale. On return home from work I found the tank brown and stunk of toxin. Excellent I thought, cleared it out and within a week they were back having a party.

Now I don't know about anyone else but I think these things become immune to stuff. For example h202 dosing, 1 ml per 10 gallon of water was working. Then just stopped. Kalkwasser at 9ph worked the once then not again. Keeping water at this level showed that the Dino's were now quite happy. How come a week before it killed them and now they are multiplying.

So two nights ago. Kalkwasser up to ph 10+ and 30ml h202 a night in a 200 litre tank.

Seems to be working.

Killed the corals though....

Last edited:

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm addition have some metroplex on order so will dose that after ph and h202 nuking.

FYI Metroplex has an AVG 86% kill rate of protists. In some cases 99 others as low as 70ish. I would have at a guess this echos peoples experience.

There are a number of anti protists drugs available. A combination may hold the key.

Now I did read the DEET has a massive impact on bioluminescence Dino's. In that just the amount people were wearing was enough to wipe them out. Not sure how toxic itbwould be to everything else though.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and another thing. Dinos go cyst crazy when the water quality isn't up to scratch. Cysts head under the sand. It's interesting to note better success rates for clear tank bottoms. If no sand, nowhere to hide and will undoubtedly get syphoned, or blown in to current out to the overflow.

Of course if water quality does improve they will emerge from sand and start over.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is what cured my tank. Corals made it and now in my DT.
Also I did bleach treatment in my DT. Lost 1 fish all other stuff survived.
No water changes
To date I have not seen a single dinoflagellate cell in my tank.

Bleach, does it work?
Yes in a strict controled method

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will probably be my go to should this not work.

Last edited:

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a whole host of these bad boys. Some much worse than others. Most of our work at Texas Parks and Wildlife and our Harmful Algal Bloom team has been with Karenia (Red tide) and freshwater and brackish Prymnesium (Golden Algae) due to their harmful costly effects on fish and wildlife. They are efficient and have adapted modes of survival that have carried them through for eons. One of which is the encapsulating cyst stage in the sand, when you reduce the food supply. Here is a sampling https://www.whoi.edu/redtide/species/by-name

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paullawr

The proponents of ATS filter systems always claim to beat dinos although they aren't posting here whatsoever after light prodding

Seek out SantaMonica, he says ATS fix what you state to be the prob. Those ATS can be built for free too, they are algae scrubbers.

On his sales posts he doesn't state times his ATS won't fix your problem, so it's open and shut per him. I say hit him up then post back after running one, they claim 100% fix of dinos. Insert movie 300 meme leonidas gnarled battle scorned face "we'll put the name of ATS to the test"

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whilst surfing the net for possible cures the following website did lighten the mood.

http://biopop.com/pages/dinocare

My favourite quotes
'
How full should I fill my Dino Pet?
Your desired fill level depends on the effects you want to see, and how you'd like your Dino Pet to look during the day. Below is a reference image for you'

Picture if you will...brown crap over everything.

Where should I place my Dino Pet?
At night leve your Dino Pet in complete darkness for at least 30 minutes before you start playing with it.

BRING ON the chemicals!!!!

'What makes this a good pet for kids?
Do you think pets are too dangerous, too messy, or too much responsibility for your little one? '

That's right folks, messy? Check.
Too much responsibility? Naah palytoxin us great for kids.

'Does this make a good present?'

Yes it does. I got mine for free off some really nice chap.

'How do I care for the pet?'

Lights, camera, chlorine.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paullawr

The proponents of ATS filter systems always claim to beat dinos although they aren't posting here whatsoever after light prodding

Seek out SantaMonica, he says ATS fix what you state to be the prob. Those ATS can be built for free too, they are algae scrubbers.

On his sales posts he doesn't state times his ATS won't fix your problem, so it's open and shut per him. I say hit him up then post back after running one, they claim 100% fix of dinos. Insert movie 300 meme leonidas gnarled battle scorned face "we'll put the name of ATS to the test"
Yes I saw the advert claiming removal of Dino's. My take on it....well they would just take up residence in the algae scrubber.

Thing is my tank was running that ultra low in nutrients I had to heavily feed to prevent coral death. Not that it matters now.

Kevin Plummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water changes

Bleach, does it work?
What was your dosing and schedule for bleach? Out of curiosity.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all fairness they have documented fixes

But

We are all dealing in 20% chances Imo and that's being left out of the statements about ATS. It is minor jerk mode for me to point it out that way acknowledged heh. Just ribbing fellow online claimants I've made many about peroxide open for ribbing too.

For every listed fix 8/10 will run it and not get the fix regarding dinos. Your type of tank and variables are the ideal test grounds for the strongest claims.

I'm biased for peroxide and oversized, not correctly sized, uv...still about 2 of 10 get fixed

Whoever gets 7/10 fixed will sell me and they need to post all that proof right here this is good read for it. With the new bleach wave and various approaches being forded this ground is where the seventy might get found due to variations in approach

It's still tbd imo

I might have to vote dinoxal as best curr retail doser for them

Last edited:

Gayle Dace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had the courage to use bleach but started using h202. I read earlier that someone using h202 started seeing good results and noticed cyano out competing the dino I think this is happening in my tank. If that person is still following can you tell me what you did next
Hi, It might have been me or BMW. I did dose h2o2 quite heavily for 10 days. It seemed to know them way out. On day4, they were back in droves. I saw someone mention that they were dosing twice a day 10 ml/gal in morning and at night. That might work better since it changes into water pretty quickly i'm now doing the "Cruz" method off a Facebook--I will have a pretty good idea if it worked by the end of the weekend. It is promising.

Gayle Dace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water changes

Bleach, does it work?

If my current method doesn't work, I may well resort to bleach. I would move my fish into a qt tank first though and treat with h2o2--don't want to kill them.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

It has been a few days since I last provided an update. As I mentioned previously, I have a Cyano bloom that is exploding in my system. I also mentioned that it seemed that the DINOs were being competed with and seemed to be slightly reduced in quantities. This morning, during a multi hour conference call in my home office, I was able to do some microscopic survey work to see if the DINOs were still thriving or if their population was falling.

Just to set the visual…. My tank looks like KRAP! I have red mats of Cyano all over the sand, rock…and on some of the aquarium pieces. I essentially decided to let nature take its course. I removed the filter socks… I have not dosed anything… and I have simply fed the fish a combination of nori for the tangs and frozen food for the rest. Like I said the tank looks like KRAP.

Microscopic Survey Results:

• I surveyed 6 sites in the tank, from red material on rocks, to scrapings of the glass, to sand that was white, discolored and red… All 6 samples came back with ZERO DINOs. I found no indication of DINOs anywhere in the display tank. I even dug into the sand and took a sample or two… nothing…

• I did find a lot of MicroFauna…. But no DINOs or none of the two variants that I had.

• I then surveyed three places in my sump. I found Zero DINOs. I did find a lot of other organisms… but no DINOs of the variant I was fighting.

• I surveyed the ATS… I removed red, green and a black looking algae from the screen. I found a total of 4-5 DINOs in the samples….in total. They are there still in the ATS… but in very very small quantities.

• I found a TON of pods….of all sorts of other worms and shrimplike creatures. I have never seen so many…. Ever in this tank…or in this system.

• I did find some organisms that looked like DINOs but were a 1/10th of the size. They were very few and far between.

I am by no means claiming victory here. I agree with a previous poster that I am not sure a tank without DINOs to some degree is a healthy tank. There are literally thousands of different types of DINOs…many that are probably beneficial. There are a few that are a problem….and I had two such variants. As of today, I don’t seem to have an issue with these DINOs which is the first time in almost 18months. Yes… you read that right. If there is a treatment that has been thought of… I have tried it. That is why I decided to do something completely and utterly crazy like dose bleach in my tank. I am not saying that it solved the problem. But it may have been part of the solution. Remember, I also dosed a long stint with Metro…. Which reduced but did not eliminate the DINOs.

Next steps… I am planning to let nature continue to take its course. I am going to let the cyano continue to bloom. I don’t have much by way of coral in the tank anymore. I have some hammer, some shrooms and a leather or two. I will continue to monitor the nutrient levels….as of today Phosphates are still 0.00 and Nitrates between 4-8. I am replacing the LifeReef venturi skimmer I have been using with a new Skimz 201 skimmer. I had planned to do that for a while. I was sold a venturi skimmer that just did not seem to do the job as other skimmers I have owned. I have another Skimz and it has been a workhorse on another tank. I am going to install this new one later today… I will reinstall filter socks. I got a half dozen replacements and will run them on a every two day replacement schedule as I was before. We will see how things progress.

One last thing before I close this long post. DINOs have been a huge pain in the ****. I applaud everyone here including TWILLAIRD for trying to find a protocol to get rid of them. I am not sure there is a single protocol that works. I believe that it takes perseverance and patience to win the battle….and a pretty large dose of good luck. Who knows… I may find they are secretly plotting another tank take over. I will say that I almost quit. I have not enjoyed this new tank of mine…. actually almost 2 years old…in a very long time. I am hoping now…. Praying now…. That I can clean the tank up and move on.

I will post next week…as I start to clean stuff up. Have a great weekend!

I love it Dan! LOL DO tank business along with other business!

I really think you are on the right track for your Dinos.As you know the cyano will suck everything into it therefore out-competing the dino's you had/a few you have left! The pods and microfauna will definitely help when you get rid of the cyano :0) As a precaution, I would suggest a few doses of bacteria (Dr. Tim's Waste Away or Microbacter7) and some more pods, if you don't have a sizeable pod population. It definitely sounds like you had a terrible "new tank syndrome" start. I think you will now enjoy it...soon! What a journey you have had and thankfully you stuck with it! I hope you are at the end of the dino journey, at least the bad dinos!! :0)

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update not sure what day I'm on or the last time I did a update. But I have not had to remove any sand in a week as there are no affected areas. I have added 2 big bottles of Dr tims bacteria, 5,000 pods, added purigen, cut light down to 6 hours a day, and stopped with red sea reef energy.
I was doing 2.5gal water changes every day when I was removing sand daily. The corals look soooo good and the pieces that were on life support are coming back! I think I'm going to hold off on adding sand for another 2-3 weeks.

8a88fcd240722885c8aef30907ca1d64.jpg
The days do become lost when dealing with dinos ! They all seem the same...frustrating, anger, loss of hope, etc. Your tank looks so, so much better BMW! Congrats! Your tank is lovely, I might add! Looks like you too are on your way to having a nonissue with the dinos! Congrats!!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, It might have been me or BMW. I did dose h2o2 quite heavily for 10 days. It seemed to know them way out. On day4, they were back in droves. I saw someone mention that they were dosing twice a day 10 ml/gal in morning and at night. That might work better since it changes into water pretty quickly i'm now doing the "Cruz" method off a Facebook--I will have a pretty good idea if it worked by the end of the weekend. It is promising.

If my current method doesn't work, I may well resort to bleach. I would move my fish into a qt tank first though and treat with h2o2--don't want to kill them.

Happy to hear that the Cruz/Facebook method is showing promise for you Gayle. As I said, it helped mine- but they came back:9( I'm happy to hear that if you have to try the bleach method that you will remove your fish:0) I've said often that I think the bleach will have a detrimental effect on the fish, especially their gills and internal organs. Slow effect but eventually they will succumb to somethig/death. No science behind my thinking but more just common sense and relating it to other caustic materials....

There is a product made by, gosh-can't think of it atm but they sell Special Blend and Nite-Out (bacterias) called Artemiss and that product says it will rid fish of bad bacterias, etc that are on the fish. I am going to use it when I transfer my fish back into the dino tank...of course the dinos won't be an issue when the fish go in:0) And as an FYI, I just finished day 4 of bleach at twice daily dosing. Haven't had any coral deaths but I did experiment on a BTA in the bleach tank...it was a small BTA(1")...It melted as I thought it would:( Fish, BTA's, Elegance...those types of corals I would not have in a tank using bleach...too risky IMO. Good luck !!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I can say is I don't think heat increases a chance of a bloom. It's been as cold as a badgers nuts in January this summer in ole blighty
ROTF LOL!
Condolences for the corals lost:9( You definitely seem versed on all the different methods. You've probably read where I've stated that I don't think a tank can be dino free...but the key is to get the upper hand and keep it that way, ie. a balanced tank. So find what works on the dino's you have and then out-compete them! Bacteria (Waste-Away/Bacter7, etc) and a good supply of copepods and other microfauna seem to keep the upper hand:0)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps to know, non quarantine is the cause of all Dino invasions. They are obligate hitchhikers like valonia, invasive macros etc and once eradicated they cannot come back

They resist complete kill in the problem tanks we see but are not part of the majority of reef tanks, these invasive species.

The invasive species listed here are not part of the regular biota on reef substrates they are the unlucky riders, my reef has no dinos and it's not possible to have them unless we purposefully while inadvertently put them right in our tanks by our own hand.

QT in the common sense won't be as easy, I'm sure they have dormancy phases where a cell or two may not express as a colony so additional time or preventative dips may be needed, but they are still obligate hitchhikers nonetheless in the exact way that I could dose planted tank fertilizer to my reef and get a bloom of cyano and green hair algae...but never valonia or invasive macros because those haven't hitchhiker in

Cyano and various green and brown algae are non obligate HH constants in the reef that get in even if you do quarantine. Those classes are absolutely part of the requisite biota on a reef and if you QT perfectly they still get vectored in via non reef pathways (one of fifty is the garden dirt on your fingernails you forgot to wash off before reefing etc)

Anyone here that has a perfect reef, QT fish, started with ceramic rock, the perfect QT system, we could easily generate cyano and GHA just by dosing ferts to the tank and shining an old metal halide 6500K light on the setup. those groups will beat quarantine because they have aerial and physical vectors that still bring them in the tank, and amazingly our tanks send them out into the world at times as well.

Cyano and certain algae -exchange- between a tank and an environment, and all the rest are purposefully brought in by the keeper. <----- painful personal responsibility clause right there

Stopping a tank mid invasion isn't the same as finding effective QT procedures that prevent dinos as they are requisite hitchhikers strictly.

Last edited:

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The problem many have is no room for QT tanks therefore resorting to dips which can largely be ineffective. As touched on earlier, when breaking down and re building tank despite 3 minute dips in fresh water + iodine they survived incased within the tissue of the zoas and clam.

Remember that cyst can lay dormant for years before reemerging. This indeed was what occurred with my last setup. Accidentally over adding some minor trace elements kick-started the invasion.

Whilst I believe we do have a duty to protect our interests when adding new stock. This burden should be shared with the person you are receiving them from. I received a coral only Tuesday this week smothered in Dino's from the base up.
The person selling must have known this and even if they didn't realise many are still not happy to accept.

The.montipora eating nudibranches, came from a large mail-order coral company in the UK. They denied it. Was only after inspecting the sealed bags and providing photographic evidence did they acknowledge the issue.
Still did not advise customers on their website, stop selling montiporas.

Infact the answer I received was 'i can honestly say i have never seen one in the flesh and we do check thoroughly , i have never seen any damage to any of our montipora at all.'
Odd that on two deliveries weeks apart I identified them....

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back