Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some confirmation. This is indeed dinos right?

Also, can anyone tell what that red area is on the rock?

FThis.JPG

FThis3.JPG

FThis2.JPG

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club. Yes it is.

The red, at first guess I'd say cyano. You can almost certainly identify it without fancy equipment by blowing it with a turkey baster or similar. Will float off usually in a similar piece.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no before shots but there days after aggressive ph control and h202.

Sadly no coral now and all been detached.

IMG_20160813_165436.jpg

IMG_20160813_165440.jpg

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Leyth what's your story. How were they introduced.

If I had to guess, the live rock that I bought to start this tank. I've gone through many phases though. I tried h2o2 dipping the rocks and then everything seems to get taken care of and then a week later they're back.

This time, I went on vacation and came back to the entire tank engulfed. I tried my same approach but nothing is changing this time so I thought maybe it's not even dinos. The approach I am taking now is 24 hours lights out and slowly add an hour each day. I added a bunch of pods yesterday, and I have been doing dino-x at night.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, the live rock that I bought to start this tank. I've gone through many phases though. I tried h2o2 dipping the rocks and then everything seems to get taken care of and then a week later they're back.

This time, I went on vacation and came back to the entire tank engulfed. I tried my same approach but nothing is changing this time so I thought maybe it's not even dinos. The approach I am taking now is 24 hours lights out and slowly add an hour each day. I added a bunch of pods yesterday, and I have been doing dino-x at night.
Looks very much like Dino's. I've just found evidence after three days of nuking.

They seem to become immune - see my earlier post.

Gone to 10.1 ph and now up to 50ml h202 on 200 litre tank. Found for each reappearance I have to increment the dosage.

Only way to be 100% is via microscope but having fought this lot on four separate occasions I can safely say that is a Dino bloom.

Algae x or Dino x did nothing for me other than cause some fooked up weird ultra (maybe something in the products name here) green algae to sprout up on rocks and back of snails. As for Dino's. No difference. Did lose some coral though.

And.....I tried it a seond time on another setup different batch two year later. Got same result even with ultra green algae.

If you don't have much in there.id take out rock in a bucket with fresh water and stupid amount of kalk. getbfish out in second bucket and then multiple nuke it with kalkwasser slurry hits. Get the ph has high as you can. Stir hell out the sand.

Alternatively do the bleach.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very much like Dino's. I've just found evidence after three days of nuking.

They seem to become immune - see my earlier post.

Gone to 10.1 ph and now up to 50ml h202 on 200 litre tank. Found for each reappearance I have to increment the dosage.

Only way to be 100% is via microscope but having fought this lot on four separate occasions I can safely say that is a Dino bloom.

Algae x or Dino x did nothing for me other than cause some fooked up weird ultra (maybe something in the products name here) green algae to sprout up on rocks and back of snails. As for Dino's. No difference. Did lose some coral though.

And.....I tried it a seond time on another setup different batch two year later. Got same result even with ultra green algae.

If you don't have much in there.id take out rock in a bucket with fresh water and stupid amount of kalk. getbfish out in second bucket and then multiple nuke it with kalkwasser slurry hits. Get the ph has high as you can. Stir hell out the sand.

Alternatively do the bleach.

You've got to be kidding me. I've got an unreal amount of hair algae that has started growing since I started dosing dino-x.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry boss but no not kidding. It went mad and it was lighter green than normal, say turf. The toxins (presumably ammonium) hurt the livestock more than the protists.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What day you on? I got today 15 no difference and tank was a disaster.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 3 now. My Anemone is ****** off like a mother so I might stop actually.
You will lose the nem. On the two occasions I went through dosing I had a BTA and both died. Early on as well mate. :(. I'd get it out if I were you the ammonium takes a while to clear.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annoyed me they don't put suspectable inverts on bottle. Nems suffer a lot and turn inside out. Dino's I found unaffected.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost two nems on two separate treatments. Also lost acros and montiporas. Dosed to the letter. Saw literally zero reduction in Dino's. Some tiny patches of hair algae I had that have had since day dot turned white. That was is it bar the ultra green algae that appeared around day 12.

As for what to do, read through this thread. Perhaps try with Metroplex.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unreal, there is no warning on the bottle at all. Yea I am done with it. I may do h2o2 dosing as I have seen a lot of success from it.
Dinox is invert safe. There is something else going on.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 , your comment "If it helps to know, non quarantine is the cause of all Dino invasions. " I disagree. That's a blanket statement which needs further explanation. So with that statement, you are saying to QT fish, corals, rock, sand, etc and magically no dinos ever will get in their display/reef tank? So if a fish is carrying dinos and you have it in a QT tank, that automatically means that all dinos will stay in the QT tank? I'm not being obstinate, but QT is no guarantee. QT is a very sound practice(and recommended by knowledgeable hobbyists, retailers,etc) but it can only do so much and it is no guarantee that something won't enter a tank.
Can you tell me that a dry powdered fish or coral food is free of dino's? A bottle of bacteria? Just sayin... New hobbyists may literally take your blanket statement as the complete truth and then when something happens after QT, in their tank, they can place blame on themselves. IMO, a hobbyist(s) may just give up and say it's too hard/I caused it/ etc... and I simply don't buy into that thinking. Stuff happens and how, what, when, where, and why is not "always" known....

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BMW it's possible something else is going on, but I followed dosing to the tee with different batches. Two different nems reponded by in effect turning to mush. The negative response to treatment started very early. I also lost two heads from an otherwise healthy torch.
I had found similar reports online after seeing effects and wondered if other people had similar experiences.

True it could be toxins produced by Dino's or other factors. I just don't believe in coincidences.

The fact Leyth also indicated his nem looked bad....I'd be cautious.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the new hobbyist might consider is how they react after seeing that first bubble strand. With each online posted invasion following the same course of leaving them in on purpose, and then we are up to a hundred pages of challenges, maybe ineffective quarantine + wrong first moves (non action) are working hand in hand. Based on cure threads I tell any new keeper there is no invader in reefing that you purposefully leave in the tank in order to beat it. I'd have more concern of them copying the initial non actions most follow which build up large invasion threads than to concern over qt procedures we haven't perfected yet. Straight initial action is how we beat dinos and straight leaving them in is how the majority of invasions take hold

I am positive the bottle bac and fish food don't have them unless they weren't frozen or processed into a bottle as normal feed

Try to google or find an article link that shows them associated with prepared bottle bac or frozen or powdered feed

If the food item or morsel was lifted out of an infected tank and placed non qt into the affected tank then yep that's a valid vector

Agreed on fish vectoring but we covered that by saying even special modes or timing may be require to stop transmission. new qt procedures must be managed to help, clearly the current standard isn't working

My reef is immune to dinos and can't have any since they aren't imported...they cannot lay dormant for ten years then come about. The places I get frags from have no dinos and I'm not adding fish=my tank is permanently immune and that's even after I used bottle bac or feed, those are not vectors for Dinos

When you mentioned even a fish bringing them in on its side, that's specifically the point I was making, that's someone purposefully putting dinos in their tank though they didn't want to. The way I'm sure about dino transmissions is due to my own tanks immunity and the number of nanos cured of it in the nano-reef.com peroxide thread. It's easier to fix nanos of dinos because we can rip clean the whole tank all at once. These larger tanks cannot, plus they're vectoring several different ways, so we get a hundred pages of various attempts trying to streamline what works in settings where a full water change and cleaning can't be done *and repeated*

Aquarium hobbyists always see repeat actions if needed as a sign of fail so they won't do more than one or two cleaning attempts at most. We will let a community literally overtake our tanks by watching that first bubble strand grow, we consult other aquarists who say not to change water or even export them, then after full invasion we begin partial attempts to the water, then lastly right before madness someone will allow themselves to try direct export and if it doesn't work once after purposefully farming all that mass we give up saying they're too aggressive. Perhaps the order of reactions advised to people w large tanks is as much of a problem as not being able to fully access all infected substrates. Nanos are not having this widespread problem, as proof. Not one tank on nr.com failed to be fixed using our approach.

compare sites and try and figure out why nano reef .com doesn't have more than one or two Dino challenges at a time on the whole site, and why when they post they get fixed pretty quick. Small tanks are not hard to cure of dinos, so how does volume affect outcome is fair question (I claim due to ability to thorough access)

Pico reefs don't have these problems because the work of a full tank takedown cleaning is just as easy as a partial water change on a larger tank.

There are large tankers who cleaned theirs out, but cannot repeat as needed due to practicality. In some of our challenging nano fixes we rip cleaned them a few times and took care of the issue typically but installing uv after the true clean as many times as it takes (uv on a nano is more intense than a barely sized uv on a large tank)

We weren't just pulling out top layer dinos, we were replacing whole sandbeds and externally cleaning substrates in peroxide etc, no in-tank work. All out of tank. In this thread, it's all in tank work due to the tanks being too daunting to take apart four times if needed.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back