Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im at a month. I increased my dose a hair. Still twice a day. Im going to be upping my dose to 3 times per day to see how it goes

What are you seeing under the scope?

Wish someone could come up with a formula that would wipe the dinos out in one/just a few doses....looks like bleach would be the best route. I've done 2 treatments daily for 7 days and just started dosing bacterias. Pods coming in the next day or to, hopefully.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals I have been extremely busy trying to get into school for a career change.
I pop in every so often to see what's going on.
Bleach is what I used with minimal loss
It was a huge learning curve for me as I based my dosing from the reaction of my GSP's
They are great indicators of water chemistry.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals I have been extremely busy trying to get into school for a career change.
I pop in every so often to see what's going on.
Bleach is what I used with minimal loss
It was a huge learning curve for me as I based my dosing from the reaction of my GSP's
They are great indicators of water chemistry.

Awesome Todd!! So happy to hear you are well and on your path to your educational dream:0)

Do you think 3 full doses a day is risky? Pulsing zenia, also good indicator, is not pulsing with 2 doses/day the past 7 days. Would 3 full does be pushing it in your opinion? Do you have a good sense of how long the bleach stays active in the tank?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Todd!! So happy to hear you are well and on your path to your educational dream:0)

Do you think 3 full doses a day is risky? Pulsing zenia, also good indicator, is not pulsing with 2 doses/day the past 7 days. Would 3 full does be pushing it in your opinion? Do you have a good sense of how long the bleach stays active in the tank?
I don't think 3 doses is risky depending on how it is administered.
I use infusion pumps so each hour the dose is spread out evenly for 3 hours. (Total of 3ml)
That was about the maximum the GSP's could handle. The reaction lasts about 6 hours.
Once they were back to normal I turned the pump back on. I did this twice a day for about 4 days.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a good test for the conditions that control dinos might be to mail samples of the meanest seen to various testers and inoculate small test tanks with it then guide it back out repeatedly to establish variables fast.

if I had a test pico strewn with ost I would simply try changing out all the water, the sandbed after its real good and set in, and then external rinse the rocks with peroxide

It would be neat to see how well a fully nonchem approach works if full access was there, along with a repeated set of bleach or other dilutions tested in micro tanks

the meanest strains Russ had would have been wise to collect as study samples for other tanks if someone could bear to farm those horrid creatures on purpose

Last edited:

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard, how are you? Any updates on your health or health of your tank? Are you still dosing bleach or stopped? Did dinos return?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard, how are you? Any updates on your health or health of your tank? Are you still dosing bleach or stopped? Did dinos return?
I am doing well. Just got registered in college for a degree in IT systems administrator.
Dinoflagellates are gone that I can see under the microscope
I have not dosed bleach for a while now and the tank is hanging in there. A few things are adjusting to the move into the bigger tank.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing well. Just got registered in college for a degree in IT systems administrator.
Dinoflagellates are gone that I can see under the microscope
I have not dosed bleach for a while now and the tank is hanging in there. A few things are adjusting to the move into the bigger tank.
Good to hear! Welcome back to college! What was the final dose per gal you ended up using and for how many days and how many times per day? Thanks!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what took out the dinoflagellates was a single dose 3ml to 20 gallons.
Now this did kill all bacteria and I mean all. (Corals are fine)
I do not have a refined dosing for the use of bleach.
But noticed a huge drop in population of dinoflagellates with 1ml to the 20 gallons.
I did this 3 times with 3 days in between.
I left it at that as I did not want to write up using bleach as this, when not used properly, is an ultimate killer.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what took out the dinoflagellates was a single dose 3ml to 20 gallons.
I thought you said you did this twice a day for four days
Now this did kill all bacteria and I mean all. (Corals are fine)
So are you saying that this caused the tank to cycle? And if so, did you remove the coral from the tank?
I do not have a refined dosing for the use of bleach.
So 3ml to 20 gallons twice a day for four days is not what you are dosing or just not suggesting for anyone to try
But noticed a huge drop in population of dinoflagellates with 1ml to the 20 gallons.
I did this 3 times with 3 days in between.
I'm sorry, now I'm confused, so you did not do 3ml per 20 gallons twice a day for four days, but rather 1 ml per 20 gallons every third day for three treatments
I left it at that as I did not want to write up using bleach as this, when not used properly, is an ultimate killer.
"when not used properly", I don't understand what you are trying to say except perhaps that bleach is potentially toxic
You have me totally confused.

Mattie-KCCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a possible ID as to if this is Dinos or Diatom. First is covering the glass. Was scraped clean a few days ago and is back already. Second is a breeder box hanging on back.

1471646959122.jpg
1471646962584.jpg

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me totally confused.
You are correct on this.
Clarification will not be needed as I have not stated a treatment plan using bleach and I do not plan to :)
On my last dose 3ml to 20 gallons this was done after a 100% water change. This was intended to witness the reaction from coral.
I am leaving any bleach dosing up to the individual tank owner as I would hold a huge liability if I instruct to do so.
I'm sure you understand these points ;)

Last edited:

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @twilliard is trying to say he tried many methods involving bleach to test reactions, as I have however i did not go as extreme, budgets tight. Lol

But we had a dose deemed safe...ish. i have been dosing for over a month now twoce a day. Only odd response i get is one of my btas acts funny for 5 min every time i dose.

So i agree he doesnt want to be the cause of a tank crash in someones system in the event a mistake is made, also theres a factor that maybe he doesnt have a coral or fish you do, and this animal is sensitive to it. This is possible as not every species of everything was tested.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @twilliard is trying to say he tried many methods involving bleach to test reactions, as I have however i did not go as extreme, budgets tight. Lol

But we had a dose deemed safe...ish. i have been dosing for over a month now twoce a day. Only odd response i get is one of my btas acts funny for 5 min every time i dose.

So i agree he doesnt want to be the cause of a tank crash in someones system in the event a mistake is made, also theres a factor that maybe he doesnt have a coral or fish you do, and this animal is sensitive to it. This is possible as not every species of everything was tested.
Are you getting results with twice a day dosing? Are dinos gone?

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach already claimed by bicolor anthia. Sad day. My advice- do not treat tanks with fish with bleach. Take fish out first and treat corals only

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dosage did you use and how many times a day were you dosing?

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dosage did you use and how many times a day were you dosing?
50 gal tank. 1ml at 9am 1.5 ml at 9pm. That's it. The first dose was fine. The second was not. Hard lesson learned. Saw the anthia dead this morning. Have two other fish in that tank. Afraid to go and check on them. Btw, two sea horses and one pipefish looked ok this morning. Weird

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did we give up on Metronidazole? I went on vacation for 2 weeks and came home to a near crashed tank. Spirulina everywhere, green and brown hair algae, bryopsis and once again... dinos. Turns out a snail died shortly after I left and fueled all of the above. Blah.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that question can be answered. When I used Metro, it helped a lot! When I used bleach/coral wash/melafix ...it helped again. Then when using just the bleach, it helped a lot again. I used the Cruz facebook method , h202, blackout, etc before using the Metro. So what I am trying to say, they all can work or not work. I had different types of dinos I believe but for sure Ost's.I believe there are still some in the tank because I don't think with these methods they all will die or all be removed but that's my opinion. My tank is again "in balance" and as long as it stays that way, the tank is good:0) Knock the heck out of them and then get to dosing bacteria and pods... Good luck!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back