Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BMW it's possible something else is going on, but I followed dosing to the tee with different batches. Two different nems reponded by in effect turning to mush. The negative response to treatment started very early. I also lost two heads from an otherwise healthy torch.
I had found similar reports online after seeing effects and wondered if other people had similar experiences.

True it could be toxins produced by Dino's or other factors. I just don't believe in coincidences.

The fact Leyth also indicated his nem looked bad....I'd be cautious.
I used dinox before this thread was created but only used it for 5 days. No negative effects on nems corals clam or other inverts. But everyone's systems are different.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree BMW all systems are different. That's what's makes this hobby both interesting and at times infuriating.
In my book the first signs of negative stress being proactive is better than reactive.
But you cut your losses and take your chances. That's what I did. Was I successful, probably not, time will tell.

Hopefully leyths nem is ok.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day I dunno still going strong
8aad84fd782a20f2fbf8283406fa7ad1.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going back a couple years now, some shocking corrections were done by dinoxal we see here and both at the nano-reef.com forums. id be curious as Rev mentioned elsewhere to see how simple yeast might do here, a harmless thing to try for those with new invasion issues.

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help with DOC's. My water is cloudy as hell. What can I do besides water changes to clear things up? My fish especially my yellow tang is struggling in this mess.

The cure I found kills dino's in 2-3 days, but renders the protein skimmer useless for more than a week, before sharing I want to try and get through this without any losses. Please help. Skimmer is still not working at the moment, would this help clearing the water if it was actually working?

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help with DOC's. My water is cloudy as hell. What can I do besides water changes to clear things up? My fish especially my yellow tang is struggling in this mess.

The cure I found kills dino's in 2-3 days, but renders the protein skimmer useless for more than a week, before sharing I want to try and get through this without any losses. Please help. Skimmer is still not working at the moment, would this help clearing the water if it was actually working?
A lot of water changes would be my answer. Keep socks clean. Maybe live bacteria would help.

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can some one tell me the how many doses a day and for how many days of bleach I have to do

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times a day and for how many days
There is no set number. This is still experimental and dangerous if used incorrectly. But some members dosed twice a day others once a day. I think 21 days the longest one went. I think 14 was more of the average.

Africangrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those of you adding Clorox or bleach, was the effect immediate did you see the osti strings disappear or detach from rocks right beforet your eyes.
My first dose were 3.75mL of an 8% chlorine into 100gal tank, fish is fine , sps frags are fine but have been engulfed and blanked with osti dino for the past month. urchin show no sign of trouble. but so does were the dino strtings.

Did a quick experiment in my lab where 8% chlorine was 1:10 serial diluted 10x, 10uL of the titrants was then added to 90uL of dino containing tank water in a 96 micro titer plate, the effect was immediate under the microscope from 0.08% - 0.0008% or 1:10000 0which is minimum therapeutic dose, and anything less than that dinos were happily doing their dances, so for a 100gal or 375L tank I would have to add 37.5mL of 8% strength instead of 3.75mL I just did. but I think at that amount I would expect a total wipe out and start everything over.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K I'm gonna post what I did over the past two weeks because it seems to have worked.

Tuesday I came home from vacation. One look at the tank and I was about to trash everything. Covered with Dino's mixed with hair algae. It was like a mutated algae.

Wednesday did 20% water change, changed filter floss, dosed metro.

Thursday tank is way worse. No more metro. Clownfish barely eating and Rbta looks like a balloon about to pop. Changed filter floss Dosed Dino x

Friday, removed biomax pellets and purigen from my HOB cuz they're covered in brown. Added chaeto and pods. Changed filter floss Rbta still unhappy. Dosed Dino x

Saturday took a badly infested rock and dipped it in h2o2 for 30 min. That nuked the algae on that rock. I think it was mostly gha. I took a tooth brush to every area of rock I could reach. I scraped the glass and pulled out clump after clump. Cut the lights all day. Changed filter floss Dosed Dino'x and h2o2at night

Sunday cleaned power head and dipped it in h2o2. Did some manual removing. Turned lights back on but at 30% of previous settings. Rbta opened for the first time in a few days. Changed filter floss Very little Dino's growth

Monday Rbta is happy and sticky tentacles again! Very few Dino's grew during the day, tried to manually remove but they're really stuck to hair algae. There is white crap from algae death all over my tank now. Dosed Dino's and h2o2 again.

I really think my Dino's are similar to bmws, they seem to respond to the same things. Anyways that's my timeline. It's not a cause and effect post, more of just jotting down what I remember doing and changing. Hopefully tomorrow will be more improvement.

Monday

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no set number. This is still experimental and dangerous if used incorrectly. But some members dosed twice a day others once a day. I think 21 days the longest one went. I think 14 was more of the average.
Im at a month. I increased my dose a hair. Still twice a day. Im going to be upping my dose to 3 times per day to see how it goes

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1471387266.534617.jpg

Alright, so after work today I came home and I see very minimal brown stuff on my rocks and Zoas. I was pretty excited until I looked in the fuge.

How on earth did this grow over my chaeto. Is this even Dino's? Could it be cyano or something else?

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like, cyano, detritus and probably dinos as well. When I had chaeto in the fuge, it was covered in dinos. Dinos will grow wherever they darn want to!! rotf lol

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back