OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with limited space it time to change up my wiring. My brother had an extra cableguard box. The plan is to mount the box to the side of my stand and then try and figure a way to get the screen on the outside put leave plenty of room for the door the open.

IMG_20171126_102116.jpg

IMG_20171126_102136.jpg

IMG_20171126_102157.jpg

Will update as the project goes on. This needs to be done by Tuesday cause that's when the tree gets here lol.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy day but I am about 90% done with this project. I just need to mount the touch screen to the front and cut a larger hole for the plugs. Everything else is wired up and working

IMG_20171126_175245.jpg
IMG_20171126_175252.jpg
IMG_20171126_175306.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy day but I am about 90% done with this project. I just need to mount the touch screen to the front and cut a larger hole for the plugs. Everything else is wired up and working

IMG_20171126_175245.jpg
IMG_20171126_175252.jpg
IMG_20171126_175306.jpg
This is a nice setup. That box gonna extend the longivity of your project for sure.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a nice setup. That box gonna extend the longivity of your project for sure.
Thanks and yes it should extend the life of the system. Already noticed taking the pi out of the case I had and putting it in this box open it running cooler so far

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen is now mounted. Only took two trips to the hardware store and still not return with what I needed so I need to make some changes from my normal design but it works. Now just need to think about ordering a replacement screen but that will def be after the holidays.

IMG_20171127_122528.jpg

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I changed out my graphs with the new one. On the water level one the dotted lines are my 'warning high/low' and the solid grey line is my target number.
Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 8.36.00 AM.png

I am also having an odd issue. I am getting a false temp alert but I only get it at midnight. I will have to look into it as soon as I have some time

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am off work this week. I was hoping to work on my project but have not really been in the mindset. Today I did check to see if I could solve the false alerts that I am getting at midnight. Not sure why but I get false reports but only at midnight. I would assume it one of my scripts that run but its not every night. I did just check all my scripts today and make sure there no errors with them. Will see in the next couple of days.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well no errors in my scripts but still got false alert at midnight. Need to see what is going on here. Going to try and dig into this today; unless the wife has other plans for me lol

Screenshot_20171228-091002.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ds18b20 has tendency to give bogus readings sometime. Are you verifying CRC check. i.e. the first line of the /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-xxxxxx/w1_slave should end with YES, if not, you should discard that value (in the second line)

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ds18b20 has tendency to give bogus readings sometime. Are you verifying CRC check. i.e. the first line of the /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-xxxxxx/w1_slave should end with YES, if not, you should discard that value (in the second line)

I don't believe I am doing that check but will look into it.

Yea I know that 32 and 185 are the DS18b20 boot readings. I am thinking the sensor might be going but just find it odd that it only happens at midnight when i poll temp every min and log it every hour

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just check my script and it is checking for a YES in the first line

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe I am doing that check but will look into it.

Yea I know that 32 and 185 are the DS18b20 boot readings. I am thinking the sensor might be going but just find it odd that it only happens at midnight when i poll temp every min and log it every hour
check for dmesg or syslog for things that happened during that time.. may be they'll have some clue

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after digging into my scripts to see about this alert issue I came to the conclusion that my alerts need to be cleaned up. I am first going to work on getting the admin section cleaned up with different alert types, enable/disable each alert and so on. I then will work on the scripts to run the alerts.

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.41.35 PM.png

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well just couldn't get in the mindset, vacation mind, to make any changes yesterday. Still trying to figure out the false alert. I disabled one section of the code but still got an alert last night. Today I disabled another section. If that doesn't work I will disable the alert and run more tests on the code/sensor

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are some reported cases that under high load the w1_master kernel thread does not get appropriate cpu allocation , which in turns detoriate the readings. You can cross check if some periodic system job is running during that time, which is causing cpu starvation, as well as renice the w1_master process to priority -20

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are some reported cases that under high load the w1_master kernel thread does not get appropriate cpu allocation , which in turns detoriate the readings. You can cross check if some periodic system job is running during that time, which is causing cpu starvation, as well as renice the w1_master process to priority -20

That is what I was thinking. The past two days I been thinking I need to stripe my code down and develop better. There seems to be areas where I can streamline processes. Also trying to decide if I want to stay 100% web or do I want to create an app on the pi and an app on my phone (never made a phone app before). I think this might give me a good reason to re-design the whole system

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need the API for app or web. So think of the API first if you want to support either, i.e. what the endpoints are and what the protocol is. http/json will be kosher in both paradigm. For mobile only you can use some low footprint binary protocols as well.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need the API for app or web. So think of the API first if you want to support either, i.e. what the endpoints are and what the protocol is. http/json will be kosher in both paradigm. For mobile only you can use some low footprint binary protocols as well.
My current system is 100% web right now. I have apache running on my pi and I hit the UI from my computer, my phone, and I have chromium on the pi. This gives the same feel for the system no matter what device is hitting it but could def be putting a load on the pi; checking HTOP I see CPU at 100% but when I sortby CPU all the values are low and do not add up to 100% but I will def be looking into changing this cause I think that most likely where my issue is

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current system is 100% web right now. I have apache running on my pi and I hit the UI from my computer, my phone, and I have chromium on the pi. This gives the same feel for the system no matter what device is hitting it but could def be putting a load on the pi; checking HTOP I see CPU at 100% but when I sortby CPU all the values are low and do not add up to 100% but I will def be looking into changing this cause I think that most likely where my issue is
Don’t run chromium on pi . That should release lot of resources. Is it running constantly , like from a display or only on-demand

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back