do you feed tangs nori everyday?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just try to keep nori in the tanks 24/7. Get a good nori feeder that makes sure the nori does not get lose in the tank. Some days my 4 tangs plus all the other fish seem to enjoy nori snacks and they will go through 2 sheets in a day in some days and sometimes 2 sheets can last 1.5-2 days. They know how much they need. If you can keep the nori from getting lose then its great to just leave in the tank around the clock for them. After I started to put up nori for the tangs I was surprised how many of the other fish ones that focus more on meat like wrasses will come take bites of nori every now and then. The clowns on occasion the chromis. Most all of my fish like nori.
Do you have a feeder to recommend, as well as an inexpensive source of nori?

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of those nori feeders that sandwich the nori between two screens. I load that up with a few sheets of green and red nori - but I only do so once a week - usually lasts three days with three tangs.

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I try to feed a sheet everyday. If I miss more than a day I notice my tangs start to lose their... fluffiness.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed two sheets of two little fishies brand nori daily and use the two little fishies screen type nori feeders. They normally have them gone within minutes to an hour.

That feeds 3 tangs, a fat foxface and several smaller fish. But mostly the 4 listed.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a feeder to recommend, as well as an inexpensive source of nori?
I feed this Nroi 100 large sheets that I fold in thirds then I feed for $12
I use this feeder from Innovative Marine. I have tried lots of feeders and this one preserves more of the Nori from getting lose and pulverized by the power heads.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nori feeders from innovative marine. I like to provide multiple places for them to feed from. Anecdotally it seems to make everyone less aggressive but I don’t have aggression issues normally
In my 220 I have 3 of those feeders. The two side panels and the front panel near the center. Allows them all to eat at the same time and spread out across the tank.

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep nori going all day. When I started that both my tangs really colored up.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I train and feed Nori to my tank

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed nori to both of my tanks daily. The tangs and angels love it. I have to break it into small pieces though, to ensure everyone gets some.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Ocean Marine Green Marine Algae that I buy in bulk packs from Amazon. Not sure how that compares to nori. I tear the large sheets into smaller sections and use "veggie clips" to hold them on the aquarium glass. I usually dip the clip/algae into the water first to soften up the sheets so when the fish go after it they can bite off small pieces without ripping the entire sheet out of the clip or the clip off the glass. Three times a week, along with other food they eat.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these from Asian grocery store in Houston for about 10.00. Come to about 10c per sheet.
If you don’t live in a larger city with a good population of Asian American, you can order them on line for much cheaper than you can get at LFS.
Feed more on a clip, tightly fold, as much as the fish will finish all the nori by the end of the day. The advantage is not having more flow all over the place. This is a very cheap way to feed your tangs and other herbivores
IMG_1673.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know that tangs benefit from nori, but would you feed a tang a sheet of nori everyday for good health and growth?
I see nori seaweed as more of a supplement than a healthy meal. I have 25 tangs and they get nori sheet every 3 days and benefit from the many foods I give them

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a lot of nori to my tangs. I would say that it is their primary food, but I also feed a variety of other food, flakes, pellets and raw sea food at time (oysters, mussels and fish) I rarely feed mysis and other "frozen fish food"
My fishes are very healthy and have colors that is second to none.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back