do you feed tangs nori everyday?

Badblackdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tang gang. I just hope they wont all died of cardiac arrest.
Chevron2016051101.jpg
Chevron2016051102.jpg
ConvictTang2023032604 - Copy.jpg
PowderBlueTang2019062403 - Copy.jpg
PowderBlueTang2020041805.jpg
PowderBlueTang2020112501.jpg
PurpleTang2019041201.jpg
PurpleTang2020032203.jpg
YellowTang2019052801.jpg
YellowTang2019062402.jpg
Foxface2014061702Fat.jpg
Foxface2021021701.jpg
Those are some FAT tangs

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they can eat too much of it. But yeah it's a supplement not a meal. And Nori seaweed from an Asian market or Amazon are much cheaper and just as good as the stuff they mark up 500% and market to fish owners. Just make sure it's not roasted or flavored. Just raw dried seaweed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I stopped feeding nori on the clips. My homemade food is loaded with nori and spirulina and I supplement that with formula two pellets. All my fish seem to be fat and healthy on their current feeding regiment and I don’t have the hassle of dealing with the clips which always seemed to make a mess.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I fold the nori. 1/2 sheet folded to 16 layers. Fold the loose end inward. I suspended the clip just under the surface of the water using a fishing line. Pull it out and reload daily. When the slip as some algae growing on it, I just let it dry out for 1 day, then it will be as good as new. These clips are so inexpensive (Ocean Nutrition) I got spares to trade out when the clip get dirty. Feeding nori this way is easy to load, hand does not touch the water and the Nori never get ripped off and float around the tank. Fish just always got bite size off the clip every time. Suspension prevent invert from crawling on to the clip and eat the nori.
img_0411-jpg.1814390

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I fold the nori. 1/2 sheet folded to 16 layers. Fold the loose end inward. I suspended the clip just under the surface of the water using a fishing line. Pull it out and reload daily. When the slip as some algae growing on it, I just let it dry out for 1 day, then it will be as good as new. These clips are so inexpensive (Ocean Nutrition) I got spares to trade out when the clip get dirty. Feeding nori this way is easy to load, hand does not touch the water and the Nori never get ripped off and float around the tank. Fish just always got bite size off the clip every time. Suspension prevent invert from crawling on to the clip and eat the nori.
img_0411-jpg.1814390
I use the same clips but instead use the suction cups they come with to hold onto the glass (acrylic). If they get pulled off the glass they float and are easy to retrieve.

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
img_0411-jpg.1814390
Interesting, i use the same clip, dont fold as much but its ripped off in a matter of seconds...

Pretty sure if i folded it that much, the entire sheet would be ripped off and floating around the tank.

What sort of tangs are you feeding? Maybe mine are just pigs!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, i use the same clip, dont fold as much but its ripped off in a matter of seconds...

Pretty sure if i folded it that much, the entire sheet would be ripped off and floating around the tank.

What sort of tangs are you feeding? Maybe mine are just pigs!
I have been doing this for 30 years. See page 1 post #16.
There is not one correct way to do this. We got to be smarter than the fishes. Problem solving is the key. If you do something one way and it cause, this one, or more, problem then just adjust it to correct the problem. However, one need not reinvent the wheel every time. Learn from other people is the key if one does not take the effort to trial and error to get a functional way to do something.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only keep one tang. I am not a tang liker. I keep a Hipatus tang and they generally live just over 10 years. I have not used nori in probably 35 years. But I don't think it's bad, just unnecessary. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed when I started feeding my tangs nori that they stopped picking at rocks. So I feed it much less than I use too.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a half sheet of nori in every other day to everyday depending on my schedule.

My hippo and foxface spend the most time nipping at the nori. Usually about 30 mins after ibput it in. I'm jealous of the response some people get when putting some in their tank, but my fish are fat and happy so no major complaints here.

Interestingly, my bristletooth ignores the nori and my blue sided wrasse likes to nip at it some

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing this for 30 years. See page 1 post #16.
There is not one correct way to do this. We got to be smarter than the fishes. Problem solving is the key. If you do something one way and it cause, this one, or more, problem then just adjust it to correct the problem. However, one need not reinvent the wheel every time. Learn from other people is the key if one does not take the effort to trial and error to get a functional way to do something.
I tried this method last night, folded it into a really small sheet as you noted.
My tangs had it ripped off and eaten in less than a minute!

I think mine are just pigs! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I think i will have to try one of the mesh clips that limits them stripping it off so fast, they are just harder to get over in Australia (Amazon wants like 110 dollars for it!)

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this method last night, folded it into a really small sheet as you noted.
My tangs had it ripped off and eaten in less than a minute!

I think mine are just pigs! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I think i will have to try one of the mesh clips that limits them stripping it off so fast, they are just harder to get over in Australia (Amazon wants like 110 dollars for it!)
Why does it matter how quickly they eat it? As long as none of it gets wasted and each fish gets a portion, why pay $110 to slow it down? BTW used to visit Sydney, Paremetta, Cairns and Port Douglas for business years ago. Always loved the people and scuba diving!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back