do you feed tangs nori everyday?

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that tangs benefit from nori, but would you feed a tang a sheet of nori everyday for good health and growth?
It’s their natural food. Mine get it every other day or so, mainly due to my work schedule. But when they don’t get it they find algae all over the tank to nibble in which is also good.

They also make spirulina flakes but I haven’t had luck with that.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just try to keep nori in the tanks 24/7. Get a good nori feeder that makes sure the nori does not get lose in the tank. Some days my 4 tangs plus all the other fish seem to enjoy nori snacks and they will go through 2 sheets in a day in some days and sometimes 2 sheets can last 1.5-2 days. They know how much they need. If you can keep the nori from getting lose then its great to just leave in the tank around the clock for them. After I started to put up nori for the tangs I was surprised how many of the other fish ones that focus more on meat like wrasses will come take bites of nori every now and then. The clowns on occasion the chromis. Most all of my fish like nori.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I usually don’t feed any dried nori directly. Instead I feed seaweed delight and TDO pellets along with the occasional algae pellet and maybe a few pieces of dried nori but only once in a blue moon.

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One sheet of Nori a day, thats with 6 tangs in the tank (220 Gal)
I picked up a Large Yellow tang from a fellow reefer about 6 months ago that was noticable white, and since being fed regular Nori it has now turned back into a super bright yellow!
So Nori def makes a big difference!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1/2 sheet 2-3 times a week to 5 fairly large tangs. I feed a mix of frozen food twice a day adding selcon and vitachem a few times a week. They get several types of pellets through out the day as treats because they are so good at begging. My oldest the naso has been with me over 7 years, the convict the youngest will be with me 3 years in June. They do well for me not getting a lot of nori. All are fat and healthy with good colors and zero hlle .
Them at treat time.

EDIT: It's not that I don't want them having a lot of nori it's just easier to toss some food in when I walk by vs having to cut strips in the nori and place it in the pouch. I don't really think you can feed them too much but I also don't think it has to be a staple food for them to be healthy long term.

Last edited:

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed nori daily as well but i tear it apart to the size of flake food and feed that way. My tangs also get nls algae max pellets daily and diy seafood mix 2-3 times a week.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 19

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Nori clips in my tank. This keeps the food guarding to nonexistent. My PBT, the dominant tang, cannot guard 3 clips at the same time so he just eats like the rest of the tangs. I put three full sheets in my tank daily and it last from AM to about late in the afternoon. I suspend the clips in the water column so the snails, urchins and abalone cannot get to it. They have to work for a living.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one tang and I do feed him nori daily. If I dont feed him nori he seems more aggressive toward the other fish. There is algae in the tank and he picks at the rocks nonstop nori or no nori. I typically feed twice a day pellet and flake midday and frozen at night, the nori goes in in the morning. I think the nori helps take the edge off keeping the tang from getting hangry.

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Nori clips in my tank. This keeps the food guarding to nonexistent. My PBT, the dominant tang, cannot guard 3 clips at the same time so he just eats like the rest of the tangs. I put three full sheets in my tank daily and it last from AM to about late in the afternoon. I suspend the clips in the water column so the snails, urchins and abalone cannot get to it. They have to work for a living.
Whenever i put Nori in my tank, its gone in 20-30 seconds! No matter how much i add in.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a 3x3 size or near that sheet every few days maybe 2-3 times a week total. one tang and an algae blenny in a 75 gal tank. doesn't last long they destroy it.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just try to keep nori in the tanks 24/7. Get a good nori feeder that makes sure the nori does not get lose in the tank. Some days my 4 tangs plus all the other fish seem to enjoy nori snacks and they will go through 2 sheets in a day in some days and sometimes 2 sheets can last 1.5-2 days. They know how much they need. If you can keep the nori from getting lose then its great to just leave in the tank around the clock for them. After I started to put up nori for the tangs I was surprised how many of the other fish ones that focus more on meat like wrasses will come take bites of nori every now and then. The clowns on occasion the chromis. Most all of my fish like nori.
What’s a nori feeder?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back