Does this anemone look healthy and what do you think?

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty I love it to. Everyday day it seems like I find new colors in that thing! Lol That's the mother, the split off from that one is the same color (obviously) but somehow it has tons of white speckles and makes it look awesome.
I'd go for a normal Rbta if I was you. There easy to care for and look awesome! Plus they host almost any clown.

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm not busting anyone's bubble (lol no pun intended) but that looks like a green bta with a ton of actinic lighting on it. I would but that as a blue bta with out a lot more pics and white lights fully on no actinics.

OP
OP
Xbreakxitxdownx

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced my anemone to my tank and I turned the lights on to look at it and I saw the mouth kind of protruding out or like swollen up is that normal for a nem to do that when it gets introduced to a new tank?

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm not busting anyone's bubble (lol no pun intended) but that looks like a green bta with a ton of actinic lighting on it. I would but that as a blue bta with out a lot more pics and white lights fully on no actinics.

agreed, hard to tell by the pics. it might kind of look like mine. would need to see it under a little more white light...

here is my blue w/ green tips. i bought it as a blueberry lime bta. personally, i think it looks more purple with green tips. lol

maybe another one? they sell them as "blue bta's" around here. i've also seen them listed as chocolate. personally, looks purple w/ silver tips to me. lol

p.s. don't mind the algae. the bta's like it :tongue: actually, i just too feed heavy. lol

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah idk..... I like to see true colors or at the very least have the picture taken with the flash on if I'm gonna pay top dollar.

OP
OP
Xbreakxitxdownx

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding my nem krill and it's eating like crazy too do I keep feeding until the tentacles get large because I heard that if your bta tentacles are long and small they are hungry

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding my nem krill and it's eating like crazy too do I keep feeding until the tentacles get large because I heard that if your bta tentacles are long and small they are hungry
this can be misleading because a nem has to be happy. Lighting does most of this and feeding once and awhile also helps. Imo getting a clown to host your nem is the best way to keep it happy. Nothing is 100% proven that a nem will bubble up in any tank though. Proper care and husbandry are key factors though.

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you don't want to feed your nem to much. A lot of the time they'll just spit it out later. I'd say the absolute most you should feed is once a week and krill is kinda big for a bta unless it's huge. I'd feed mysis or brine.

OP
OP
Xbreakxitxdownx

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414029532.492000.jpg

That's my nem

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks beautiful and very healthy. I wouldn't worry so much about it bubbling. It looks great.
Get it a host and it'll be happy

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns but they want nothing to do with it
The bta looks to be on a nice sized rock?
Here's what I did., I removed my nem and clowns and put them in a breeding box together. Almost instantly they started hosting the nem. I left them in there together for 24 hours and then placed them back into the tank. You should place the nem as close to where the clowns hang out while considering lighting and flow.
If the rock is to big for a breeding box you could try a section of your sump? Or something similar.
Hope this helps! The symbolic relationship between a anenome and a clown is a wonderful site!

OP
OP
Xbreakxitxdownx

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in a 5 gal bucket for about 5-8 hrs and after I saw it hosting in the nem I waited for 2 more hrs then I put it back to my main tank

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in a 5 gal bucket for about 5-8 hrs and after I saw it hosting in the nem I waited for 2 more hrs then I put it back to my main tank
Awesome! Glad you could take my method and spin it into your own! Pretty awesome

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I was a little worried my fish weren't looking that hot after a while
That's why I use a old overflow box and keep it right in the tank. Continuous flow and water movement keeps the fish and nem happy.
I just didn't think you'd fit the rock the nems on in a overflow box.
Did you run a air stone? That's really all you should need in a bucket as long as it had enough water.
Either way I'm glad you got it to work and I got my fingers crossed for that your nem bubbles up for you. [emoji3]

OP
OP
Xbreakxitxdownx

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jason,

So I just noticed that one clown is in the nem and it won't let the other one get close to it with out fin nipping will that ever change?

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jason,

So I just noticed that one clown is in the nem and it won't let the other one get close to it with out fin nipping will that ever change?
If their not paired up or in the same "group" No. If the one in the nem is the dominant one maybe it'll change to a female and then they'll pair up? Who knows it's a crap shoot.
You could always get a second bta or wait till that one splits so the second one has a nem?
Are the clowns relitivly new to your tank and are they the same size?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back