FED up with fed ex!

jermzisurmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear fed ex is the worst! My poor mystery wrasse seems lost in transit! Was scheduled for delivery before 1030am here in Florida but has not been updated since leaving Memphis, TN at 530am! Send my fish some good vibes! Thanks.
What part of fla

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed ex finally updated. It's in my city now for delivery before noon tomorrow. Hopefully the fish will be fine. Thankfully petco does offer a 7 day guarantee!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed ex finally updated. It's in my city now for delivery before noon tomorrow. Hopefully the fish will be fine. Thankfully petco does offer a 7 day guarantee!
I hope it will too. Make sure you research acclimation processes very well, as the second you open the bag Ammonia levels will go sky high because of how long its been in a bag. Good luck.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah take it slow with acclimation...even a bucket is better than into your main tank... fwiw you can always find somone getting rid of a goldfish or betta bowl, even that is better than nothing in many cases for smaller fish...

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah take it slow with acclimation...even a bucket is better than into your main tank... fwiw you can always find somone getting rid of a goldfish or betta bowl, even that is better than nothing in many cases for smaller fish...
I'm far from an expert but I've always been told to temp and get out of the bag asap, especially after delayed shipping :thinking-face:

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several delays in transit from FedEx even in the last year, but not much in terms of losses because of it - just stress for the animals (including myself.)

Don't know why their overnight service tends to have so much trouble being overnight, but it seems like most reputable suppliers pack to be able to survive it.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear fed ex is the worst! My poor mystery wrasse seems lost in transit! Was scheduled for delivery before 1030am here in Florida but has not been updated since leaving Memphis, TN at 530am! Send my fish some good vibes! Thanks.
Overnight shipping?

That happens to me quite a bit but it's usually because they're so rushed they don't bother to scan them all

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm far from an expert but I've always been told to temp and get out of the bag asap, especially after delayed shipping :thinking-face:
out of the bag but not into your tank. the volume of water is small in a bag, move to a goldfish bowl or a small desktop aquarium and you are increasing water volume. You can then drip in a water slowly and not shock them. Initially you can take some of that bag water out but I always put them after floating, into a larger container and drip in tank water. Of course, I am also that guy who puts them in a quarantine tank for observation for 4-6 weeks too. The QT tank is tank water from water changes so it is pretty close when they go to the main display.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of the bag but not into your tank. the volume of water is small in a bag, move to a goldfish bowl or a small desktop aquarium and you are increasing water volume. You can then drip in a water slowly and not shock them. Initially you can take some of that bag water out but I always put them after floating, into a larger container and drip in tank water. Of course, I am also that guy who puts them in a quarantine tank for observation for 4-6 weeks too. The QT tank is tank water from water changes so it is pretty close when they go to the main display.
Just for clarity you are saying move the fish into a small aquarium with salinity matched to the shipping water? This will dilute the water in the bag with all the extra ammonia from nearly 48 hours of travel.

I've always heard that slow drip acclimation after shipping can be counterproductive becuase once the bag is open the ph change allows the ammonia to become toxic very quickly.

I honestly just float and then immediately place the fish in the DT.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm with @Sump Crab on this one. Completely out of the contaminated water immediately is what I have always read and been told from vendors I have ordered from.
Nothing wrong with a long observation period, I've been known to do the same.
This is biota marines acclimation process for shipped fish. I'm confident if they can captive breed fish then they know how to acclimate but there are always going to be other procedures people will choose to follow.

LINK to procedure.

Summary
Screenshot_20240417-070334.png

EDIT
And a summary of quality marines recommendation for acclimating. They are a big wholesaler and I believe supply Petco online orders.
I'm not trying to be argumentative just want to give the fish the best chance of survival hoping it arrives alive.

Screenshot_20240417-071040~2.png

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back