Fox face mouth injury or disease?

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I noticed my magnificent fox face swimming around with his stressed color more often. Examining him I noticed his mouth looks a little discolored or possibly injured. Tired taking a picture but he moves a lot so most of them are blurry. Wondering if anyone knows what this might be, and any recommendations for treatment.
Thanks
IMG_9659.jpeg
IMG_9660.jpeg IMG_9658.jpeg IMG_9661.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REEFREADYBSD Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks more like injury from pecking on rocks or squabbling with occupant
Need brighter pics to clearly tell

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current water
Ph 7.4 (added a marine buffer to help this)
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 80ppm (added microbacter7 to help this)

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a purple tang that he occasionally squabbles with. But that’s more with flashing his spine not really nipping.

Attachments

• IMG_9667.jpeg
    IMG_9667.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9666.jpeg
    IMG_9666.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 21

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a purple tang that he occasionally squabbles with. But that’s more with flashing his spine not really nipping.

The foxface is showing night/stress coloration. How long have you had the fish? Was it recently moved using a net (which can damage its mouth)?

The low pH can be from high carbon dioxide, does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation)?
Is the foxface still eating?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Current water
Ph 7.4 (added a marine buffer to help this)
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 80ppm (added microbacter7 to help this)
Please take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API test kits and have them test your water and see what they come up with and to compare with yours as API which I suspect you have can be tricky to use. MB7 will help with nitrate bit very slowly. I suggest daily 2-3 gallon water changes daily. What filtration are you using ?
PH - Are you using RODI water or tap water for your tank ?

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foxface is showing night/stress coloration. How long have you had the fish? Was it recently moved using a net (which can damage its mouth)?

The low pH can be from high carbon dioxide, does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation)?
Is the foxface still eating?

Jay
I have had the fox face for about four months, it is still eating, but less than it usually does. It has not been moved since it was put in. The aeration is mostly from the return nozzles at the water surface. They could not be churning the water enough. In the sump the water doesn’t seem to have a lot of flow so the carbon dioxide could be the issue. I could add an air stone or wave maker to the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API test kits and have them test your water and see what they come up with and to compare with yours as API which I suspect you have can be tricky to use. MB7 will help with nitrate bit very slowly. I suggest daily 2-3 gallon water changes daily. What filtration are you using ?
PH - Are you using RODI water or tap water for your tank ?
I have a 35 gal sump with just filter floss and bio balls. I did use the API kit and I do use RODI water I have a filter for that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the fox face for about four months, it is still eating, but less than it usually does. It has not been moved since it was put in. The aeration is mostly from the return nozzles at the water surface. They could not be churning the water enough. In the sump the water doesn’t seem to have a lot of flow so the carbon dioxide could be the issue. I could add an air stone or wave maker to the tank.
Air stones would be best.

The mouth issue is unrelated to that of course.

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update the buffer seemed to fix my PH over night. Sitting at about 8.3 now. Nitrates are still high. The foxface however is now very dark and just sitting in a corner. I have an empty 40gal breeder I could get cycled fast with SmartStart complete, but idk if moving him is the best thing to do right now.

Semi related question should I have a QT always running and empty?

Attachments

• IMG_9675.jpeg
    IMG_9675.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 11

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update the buffer seemed to fix my PH over night. Sitting at about 8.3 now. Nitrates are still high. The foxface however is now very dark and just sitting in a corner. I have an empty 40gal breeder I could get cycled fast with SmartStart complete, but idk if moving him is the best thing to do right now.

Semi related question should I have a QT always running and empty?

You don't always need to keep a QT running, but I usually do. If you space is limited, or you just don't want the hassle of that, if your DT has a sump, you can add a couple of good air driven sponge filters to the sump. Then, if you need to set up a QT, you have them primed with beneficial bacteria and ready to go.

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this. Foxface is still showing stressed/night coloration most of the time although does shift to normal for a few hours a day. Behavior wise I am noticing he is bumping into stuff, missing attempts at tracking food, almost like he can’t see. Is it possible something made it blind all of the sudden? Thinking it’s dark all the time could account for the coloration.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this. Foxface is still showing stressed/night coloration most of the time although does shift to normal for a few hours a day. Behavior wise I am noticing he is bumping into stuff, missing attempts at tracking food, almost like he can’t see. Is it possible something made it blind all of the sudden? Thinking it’s dark all the time could account for the coloration.

Blindness does happen with captive fish - tough to diagnose sometimes. One trick is to move around outside the tank (without actually touching the tank). If the fish doesn't react to your movement, it may be blind. Are the eyes cloudy at all? Any haze to them?

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell the difference between cloudiness and iridescence. At times it looks similar to a dog with cataracts sometimes it doesn’t. The hand close to the tank trick it does not react. This seemed to come on out of no where, could it be something I can treat? Or is my foxface just doomed to starve from not seeing food?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell the difference between cloudiness and iridescence. At times it looks similar to a dog with cataracts sometimes it doesn’t. The hand close to the tank trick it does not react. This seemed to come on out of no where, could it be something I can treat? Or is my foxface just doomed to starve from not seeing food?
Yeah - the iridescence in the eyes of some fish is normal, makes it difficult to see if it is normal or a disease.
Some people have managed to tong feed their blind fish so they get enough to eat, but it is a lot of work.

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - the iridescence in the eyes of some fish is normal, makes it difficult to see if it is normal or a disease.
Some people have managed to tong feed their blind fish so they get enough to eat, but it is a lot of work.
Still messing up it’s mouth but no cloudiness

Attachments

• IMG_9799.jpeg
    IMG_9799.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9800.jpeg
    IMG_9800.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 6

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still messing up it’s mouth but no cloudiness
Duh - I didn’t put two and two together. If the fish is blind or mostly blind, of course it is going to show its nighttime coloration….

OP
OP
R

REEFREADYBSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh - I didn’t put two and two together. If the fish is blind or mostly blind, of course it is going to show its nighttime coloration….
Got it into a QT seems to be swimming around a lot better. Treating the water with API Melafix just incase it is some parasite I can’t visibly see effecting the fish yet. Plus no rocks for it to wreck its mouth on. Going to try feeding with tongs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back