Handsy Lobster's Fully Custom 60 Gallon Lagoon Build

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty… So, I’ve been out of the hobby for around 10 years and I’m doing it right this time around!

Little background I’m 28 years old, I live in South Florida and got into the hobby of reef keeping when I was around 15 years old. A lot has changed since then so I’m playing catchup with all the new gadgets and such.

Last tank I had was a 30 Gallon Lagoon that I custom build from scratch with my Dad, so I am planning on doing the same with this build but a little larger. I want a tank that is small enough so it can be moved if need be and big enough where I can keep a decent number of corals (Mixture of Softie, LPS and SPS) and have larger fish selection.

This go around I’m trying to not break the bank… as I’m focusing on getting most things second hand and build what I can whilst reaching out to local reefers and buying from them and trading to learn as much as possible. Any Constructive Criticism or pointers is welcome!

So let’s get down to it…..

TANK

- 30” x 30” x 16” (Low Iron Glass ½” )

STAND

- Custom Build (Still Work in Progress)

CONTROLLER

-Apex EL

-Trident

-DOS

Lights

- ATI Straton (Pending…)

POWER HEADS

- 2x MP40mQD

- Backup Battery

REFUGIUM

- Still trying to figure this out, trying to make a frag tank in it TBD…

PROTEIN SKIMMER

-
Reef Octopus Classic 110 INT

I’m going to posting my step-by-step updates on here with pictures so be on the lookout!

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! I really like the tank dimensions; how do you plan to build your stand?
The stand is going to be made out of 2x4s and ply wood. I ain't trying to get all fancy with it. My biggest thing is space and trying to fit a ATO and a Controller panel inside which is going to be tough. I'll post some pics here in a little with some updates since I'm playing catchup on posting.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is going to be made out of 2x4s and ply wood. I ain't trying to get all fancy with it. My biggest thing is space and trying to fit a ATO and a Controller panel inside which is going to be tough. I'll post some pics here in a little with some updates since I'm playing catchup on posting.
You could do it completely out of plywood and gain a ton of space underneath compared to 2x4s.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do it completely out of plywood and gain a ton of space underneath compared to 2x4s.
I could do that but I'm worried about the weight of the tank. Plus I'm doing this project with my dad and he is MR.OVERKILL when it comes to bracing and everything needs to be able to support 3x the weight LOL.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE #1

Got some of my equipment for the tank. Met up with a local reefer he was breaking down his tank so got a bundle package for it all.

A little over whelmed as I've never used a controller before so I am going to have to YouTube a bunch of this stuff to figure it out but should be fun.....

Here is what I got:
Apex EL
Trident
2 Neptune DOS
Leak sensors
Level sensor
ALD module
Breakout box with audible alarm
5 gallon ATO reservoir
Ato system
2 Ecotech MP40 QDs
FMM module
Flow sensor
Return pump
Back up battery
tempImagevYIpnI.png

First thing that comes to mind is building a Control Panel for all this stuff for a clean look inside the stand so that is yet to come. This is going to be a lot of planning.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could do that but I'm worried about the weight of the tank. Plus I'm doing this project with my dad and he is MR.OVERKILL when it comes to bracing and everything needs to be able to support 3x the weight LOL.
Haha, I can understand that. I just recently did a lot of research on stands and don't think I'll ever go back to using 2x materials again so thought I'd throw the option out there as you were concerned about space. If you are interested this is a thread I found really informative; especially the video linked in post #16 and pictures in #24 if you're concerned about weight.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I can understand that. I just recently did a lot of research on stands and don't think I'll ever go back to using 2x materials again so thought I'd throw the option out there as you were concerned about space. If you are interested this is a thread I found really informative; especially the video linked in post #16 and pictures in #24 if you're concerned about weight.
I appreciate that! Let me take a look! So the 2x4s are used mainly for bracing and the plywood is mainly the skin of it. I personally think its overkill but I rather due it the way I did than hear about it from my Dad since he is being a he help when it comes to building this thing. It is taking a little bit of room on the inside but I should have plenty for a FUGE and Control Panel.

Im kinda leaning towards not having the ATO inside of the stand thoughts? I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will you have enough height in your stand to mount your ato instead of it taking up real estate?

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that! Let me take a look! So the 2x4s are used mainly for bracing and the plywood is mainly the skin of it. I personally think its overkill but I rather due it the way I did than hear about it from my Dad since he is being a he help when it comes to building this thing. It is taking a little bit of room on the inside but I should have plenty for a FUGE and Control Panel.

Im kinda leaning towards not having the ATO inside of the stand thoughts? I'm between a rock and a hard place.
It's all personal preference and what you're most comfortable with. If you're not worried about space or don't mind having ATO outside of the stand then it doesn't matter which way you go.

For my recent build I wanted to maximize space inside of the stand and it was already going to have a small footprint (24"x20") so doing plywood only made sense. I too was worried about weight even for a 25g but after doing research and seeing plywood only stands for 150-200+ gallon setups sealed the deal for me.

Having built stands both ways now I much prefer plywood only. I'm happy to share a few other helpful resources/videos I found if you PM me.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all personal preference and what you're most comfortable with. If you're not worried about space or don't mind having ATO outside of the stand then it doesn't matter which way you go.

For my recent build I wanted to maximize space inside of the stand and it was already going to have a small footprint (24"x20") so doing plywood only made sense. I too was worried about weight even for a 25g but after doing research and seeing plywood only stands for 150-200+ gallon setups sealed the deal for me.

Having built stands both ways now I much prefer plywood only. I'm happy to share a few other helpful resources/videos I found if you PM me.
I saw what you said about the ply wood I see they built it out of 3/4" which is very smart. Never seen something like that. Im about to post my stand here shortly. Its nothing fancy pretty basic. Im trying to get creative with the doors mainly to make them look unique. maybe some smoked acrylic... something different.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw what you said about the ply wood I see they built it out of 3/4" which is very smart. Never seen something like that. Im about to post my stand here shortly. Its nothing fancy pretty basic. Im trying to get creative with the doors mainly to make them look unique. maybe some smoked acrylic... something different.
Looking forward to seeing what you do! Yes, 3/4" ply is a must if you're doing plywood only.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE #2

So here is the stand being built. It's going to be 30x30x34 for the 2x4 bracing and then I had a 1 1/2" piece of heavy ply wood laying around so I'm going to use for the top to support the tank. Total height should be 35 1/2" which I feel should be good viewing height granted that is a shorter tank.
tempImage3MweDW.png
tempImagesgnNxi.png

Here is the Stand before its skinned. As you can see im trying to see how the ATO fits inside. I think it will fit now I'm looking for the right Fuge.
tempImageilAd4M.png

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE #2

So here is the stand being built. It's going to be 30x30x34 for the 2x4 bracing and then I had a 1 1/2" piece of heavy ply wood laying around so I'm going to use for the top to support the tank. Total height should be 35 1/2" which I feel should be good viewing height granted that is a shorter tank.
tempImage3MweDW.png
tempImagesgnNxi.png

Here is the Stand before its skinned. As you can see im trying to see how the ATO fits inside. I think it will fit now I'm looking for the right Fuge.
tempImageilAd4M.png
Looks good and that’s not going to go anywhere! Sorry, I thought you were still in the planning stages for the stand.

Is that the 5g IM ATO tank?

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good and that’s not going to go anywhere! Sorry, I thought you were still in the planning stages for the stand.

Is that the 5g IM ATO tank?
All Good Yeah I have gotten a little bit done on this build just trying to document it all chronologically!

Yes that is the IM ATO tank thoughts on it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back