High Alkalinity what does it really cause

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
What does really ahppen when you run High Alk in a tank. Understand that low alk can cause coral skeletons to melt and that affects the flesh on top but what happens if your alk is too high?
Would assume you'd have coral growth that tissue might not be able to keep up with but how does that kill or affect corals?
One other question is what really kills corals in an alk swing.
Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety of things that high alkalinity does.

First, it increases the likelihood of precipitation of calcium carbonate on things like pumps, heaters, and sand.

Second, it spurs some hard corals and coralline algae to grow faster since getting enough carbonate can be a rate limiting step in calcification (skeletal growth).

Finally, some SPS corals in a very low nutrient environment with high alkalinity may suffer "burnt tips", which might be due to the tissue being unable to keep up with the skeletal growth, leaving very thin tissue which might be more susceptible to burning by high light/UV levels.

Corals that have issues with alk swings may be suffering from a temporary mismatch between their ability to take up bicarbonate and the internal demand for it.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for the info Randy

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me understand.
You can run high allk with higher nutrient give a number for example
Low nutrient 7 to 8 need low alk why
Where is the sweet spot

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are you considering to be high ?

I'd try to limit the high end to 11 dKH for precipitation isues and maybe 9 dKH if you keep a ULNS SPS tank and want to avoid burnt tips.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will gfo cause alk swings enough to keep SPS from thriving?
Sorry if its off topic.

Not usually.. It may encourage skeletal growth of corals by reducing phosphate and may increase precipitation of calcium carbonate on and near the GFO, but the changes in alk (and calcium) are usually low enough to not be a concern.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me understand.
You can run high allk with higher nutrient give a number for example
Low nutrient 7 to 8 need low alk why
Where is the sweet spot

Not sure what you mean by a sweat spot. If not a ULNS tank, it seems not not matter what the alk is (say, 7-11 dKH), but corals can grow faster at higher alk, if that is a goal.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by a sweat spot. If not a ULNS tank, it seems not not matter what the alk is (say, 7-11 dKH), but corals can grow faster at higher alk, if that is a goal.

a question for you good sir....after testing my tank here is what i got (Mag-1400, Cal-600, Alk- 6, Ph-8.1)....my alk is my issue... after searching for info on this it seems to me that it is low. without having the rest of the parameters in-front of me (to give to you as i remembered these in particular from last night) would you be able to guess what issue could be? i am using kalk in my top off which is why i am assuming the mag and cal is high....but does kalk affect Alkalinity? should i be dosing Alk separately? does temperature effect Alk? i know my tank has been running hotter than normal with the heat wave we've been having here.

i am sorry to bombard you with a ton of questions but it seems like my monti's growth has been stunted and i am not sure of what the cause is

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many corals may suffer at 6 dKH. I'd raise it.

Very long term use of limewater will slowly raise calcium relative to alkalinity. So using a lower calcium salt is preferred.

I'd switch to baking soda or washing soda for a while instead of the limewater (or in addition to it) to get the alk higher and let the calcium decline a bit.

I have the same issue and discuss it here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/

from it:

Calcium (Ca). In my reef aquarium, I use only Instant Ocean salt and I have not added any additional calcium except as limewater for a number of years (during which time I have continued regular 1% daily water changes). So why is my calcium level (472 mg/L) higher than one would normally expect for Instant Ocean (maybe between 350 and 400 mg/L)? That long term rise in calcium is actually the expected result when using limewater to maintain alkalinity.

Limewater adds calcium and alkalinity in exactly the same proportions as in pure calcium carbonate. So if that is what is used by corals to make skeletons, and what precipitates on pumps and such, then calcium would stay constant.

But both magnesium and strontium get into growing calcium carbonate crystals in place of some of the calcium. A few percent of the calcium is replaced this way. Consequently, since the same amount of alkalinity (the carbonate) is used over time, and somewhat less than the balancing amount of calcium, calcium rises if alkalinity is maintained. I’m happy to see the result match the theory, and the calcium level seems fine to me.

trio91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many corals may suffer at 6 dKH. I'd raise it.

Very long term use of limewater will slowly raise calcium relative to alkalinity. So using a lower calcium salt is preferred.

I'd switch to baking soda or washing soda for a while instead of the limewater (or in addition to it) to get the alk higher and let the calcium decline a bit.

I have the same issue and discuss it here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/

from it:

Calcium (Ca). In my reef aquarium, I use only Instant Ocean salt and I have not added any additional calcium except as limewater for a number of years (during which time I have continued regular 1% daily water changes). So why is my calcium level (472 mg/L) higher than one would normally expect for Instant Ocean (maybe between 350 and 400 mg/L)? That long term rise in calcium is actually the expected result when using limewater to maintain alkalinity.

Limewater adds calcium and alkalinity in exactly the same proportions as in pure calcium carbonate. So if that is what is used by corals to make skeletons, and what precipitates on pumps and such, then calcium would stay constant.

But both magnesium and strontium get into growing calcium carbonate crystals in place of some of the calcium. A few percent of the calcium is replaced this way. Consequently, since the same amount of alkalinity (the carbonate) is used over time, and somewhat less than the balancing amount of calcium, calcium rises if alkalinity is maintained. I’m happy to see the result match the theory, and the calcium level seems fine to me.
so i can add pure baking soda like arm n hammer to raise my alk? and assuming i should be looking for a reading around 8 correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i can add pure baking soda like arm n hammer to raise my alk? and assuming i should be looking for a reading around 8 correct?

8 dKH is a fine reading, and yes, Arm and Hammer baking soda is a good method. Dissolve in some fresh water first. Bake it (400 deg F, 1 h) or buy sodium carbonate if you also want a pH boost from it.

This calculator shows how much to use:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

trio91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 dKH is a fine reading, and yes, Arm and Hammer baking soda is a good method. Dissolve in some fresh water first. Bake it (400 deg F, 1 h) or buy sodium carbonate if you also want a pH boost from it.

This calculator shows how much to use:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html
that calculator is awesome....thank you very much for the link....side note the calculator did not mention any cooking/baking...is there a reason for that?

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that calculator is awesome....thank you very much for the link....side note the calculator did not mention any cooking/baking...is there a reason for that?
Baking it makes it carbonate instead of bicarbonate right out of the bag. Bicarbonate will raise the alk level without effecting ph as much as carbonate will. He is saying if you bake it then mix with ro di it will boost ph.

trio91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking it makes it carbonate instead of bicarbonate right out of the bag. Bicarbonate will raise the alk level without effecting ph as much as carbonate will. He is saying if you bake it then mix with ro di it will boost ph.
Aaahhh ok....thank guys....i will attempt this tonight and keep everybody posted

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

trio91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back