How a rescued turtle turned into a Proclear ProStar 200.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. In the second picture, I have where I showed two drains with a gate on each one. This is the plan. I am not gluing these connections as of yet. I may very well just go back to the standard fittings. I am not modifying the overflow at all. My idea, albeit probably a dumb one, is to slow the flow of the drains to prevent the soft toilet drain sound. The return pump area is so small and the way the sump is designed, I should be able to run the return section dry and not overflow the tank if the drains back up for any reason. I am going to run several tests during the cycle to test in action. My hope is the shut off on the pump would come on if it ran dry. I am really just playing with it at this point. None of this might work. But as you know, the silicon-ed drains are a PITA!
2. I found the return pump inlet screen at BRS. 3d Printed inlet screen

3. Only one return which tees at top of overflow. 3/4" in overflow box, but I modified to be 1" return to the bulkhead and reduced from there. So not counting on a ton of flow from return pump. Probably will end up adding a couple more MP40s for flow.

Thank you on the plumbing control board! This site is great for ideas!

Forgot to post a FTS for now.

Pre fill up shot.jpg

Thanks. I have the piping and valves to do this but haven't pulled the trigger. Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the aquarium so far? I'm looking to upgrade but have never heard of these before. Looks like the build quality is good!

Pros:
I would say aquarium itself looks solid, great caulk lines.
Glass looks incredible.
Pricing was awesome at $2199 shipped.
Stand is constructed well. Laminated ply top and bottom. Maybe laminated Mdf on sides. Weight is supported by aluminum leg supports.
I like the size at 26 inches of depth.

Cons:
As mentioned previously, I don't get why they don't include unglued fittings, bulkheads etc. That was a bear. But could be a pro if you want plug and play.
Baffles in sump are cheap thin glass.

Overall, I would purchase again in a heart beat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got me seriously considering one of these if I have to move. How long was the delivery wait?

So I ordered the tank February 7th and received it March 7th but this was a new shipment of the new model that was delayed. Once they received them, it was 2-3 days. Truck delivery and unloaded into my garage.

I believe they are in stock. So shouldn’t be that long at this point.

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0B02E4E9-7D4B-45D0-A6DF-7BF3425C5169.jpeg

She’s wet! Still messing with all the Apex controls with lights, VorTechs, etc. But still. I’m excited.

Dry rock for now. Going to seed with some gulf rock along with some bacteria from Tim’s and Brightwell.

Fish will be here before we know it!

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ordered some live rock today from Live Rock and Reef. 25lbs of Primo Picked Deco Special from Florida and 15 lbs of the “Walt Smith” from recently opened Fiji. The Primo is packed with Macro Algae, and looked really fresh from ocean. Fiji Walt Smith was devoid of life but really nice coloration. Overall, I am satisfied as these were tests. Just to see what’s out there. They were both sent with wet paper and not in water. There was a Sea Urchin on Florida rock. Not going to make it. Haven’t seen any other creatures.

Here are pics.

“Walt Smith Fiji”
C00FD716-B3B9-4957-AD7E-641EC8FA819F.png

2914E434-CE5B-467A-9EC6-EC54221D2FF4.png
DE99D12A-2FE6-4E53-BA6D-7BC69D0BC793.png

and shots in the tank:
E987BA72-7223-4B5E-A623-FC7227B6953E.jpeg

95892D24-79EE-4F13-8947-DA2B84C2D067.jpeg

Here is the Primo Deco rock:
5C94964B-6D16-41D1-B311-632218155DBF.jpeg

and shots in the tank.
242211CE-FB83-4D3A-B20A-9D0967CDE973.jpeg

4A3754AE-8E0F-495F-A4F6-958F666491B8.jpeg
B9063880-15C1-48FE-9D86-6B5B5B49F030.jpeg

OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to give an update on the gate valves on the drains.This seems to have quieted the returns down significantly:

1. Basically what I have done is almost matched the speed of the pump with the two drains. Not quite fully, but close so that the water does not "fall" down the returns as much. They aren't COMPLETELY silent, but much, much better than it was in the first place.
2. I have tested at various speeds and if I slow the Cor-20 under 50% the drain noise comes back. I can only run the pump at 70% max as it can't push any more through the 3/4" return.
3. I also tested back up one drain and it still handles it fine, water level rises a bit, but only so much can come out of the sump.

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I got my tank today and am slightly disappointed. I was looking at the stand expecting a full aluminum frame but it isn’t a full frame. Instead there are aluminum supports drilled to the mdf stand in certain places. Just letting everyone know.

I’m sorry if this was already discussed. I didn’t see it.

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I got my tank today and am slightly disappointed. I was looking at the stand expecting a full aluminum frame but it isn’t a full frame. Instead there are aluminum supports drilled to the mdf stand in certain places. Just letting everyone know.

Plywood* not mdf

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also underneath the tank itself is a metal frame (assuming to allow a plywood top).

JasonK7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along for your build! I just picked up a Prostar 150 myself. I found that the draining sound was to loud for my taste. I ordered two 1" gate valves to help remedy the sound. However, I contacted Proclear today and found they use metric and that the system should be silent out of the box. It seems that I am missing two "caps" in the overflow. I just thought I would pass along that info if you didnt know already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kuub

Kuub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thought I would give an update. Cycle completed in about 7 days. I believe the live rock really helped. Ammonia was gone in three days, nitrite in 7. First water change was on April 2nd.

Parameters as of last evening:

Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
PH: 8.1
Alk: 8.12dkh
Calcium: 370
Phos: 0

Over the past week and in increments I have added some livestock.
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Bicolor Blenny
10 Small Scarlet Reef Hermits
2 Fighting Conch
5 Cerith Snails
5 Nassarius Snails
5 Turbo Snails
1 Halloween Hermit
1 Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab

All life looks great and settling in. All from Liveaquaria.com. A few different orders to not shock the system. Only a couple of issues from them, 2 items ordered and said in stock were not delivered and no notice was sent. Seemed odd to allow an order and not contact and say why they didn't ship. Other issue was, placed an order for 25 dwarf blue hermits. They sent 25 empty shells......no kidding. There was nothing in them. Sent a picture of them and they issued a credit. But still.....

Also, the live rock that was ordered from Live Rock and Reef has been incredible sans the Walt Smith Fiji. The Gulf rock from them has turned out to be full of life, the macro algae is thriving and seems to be keeping diatoms and green hair algae to a minimum. Still small areas, but the macros are growing quickly. I like the way they look in the tank for now. Gives it life while I prepare for corals. And speaking of corals, there are three corals (Pics below) that I thought wouldn't make it. Not only are they making it but they are already growing. Not sure of the species on any of them, but they are neat to watch. Also, the urchin I said wouldn't make it is active and moving around the tank. He had lost all spines in transit in box and looked done for. He has already started growing spines back and continues to traverse the tank.

As far as pests go from the live rock, only one I have seen is an Aiptasia on one rock. Which I will deal with at next water change.

All in all , very happy with the way the tank is shaping up. I believe the live rock, Bacteria supplement, dry rock combo has lead to where I am at. Time will tell.

Also, the gate valves on the drains have worked well. Again, not 100% silent, but much quieter.

Enjoy some pics:

This is one coral that made it through shipping. You can see some extensions on it and it has started to color up. It's grown about 30%
IMG_0433.jpg

Another coral not sure what it is:

IMG_0434.jpg

And another again not sure what it is:

IMG_0435.jpg

Here is a Gorgonian that came on the rock, also growth on it as well as some of the ones that were dying are trying to come back:
IMG_0437.jpg

Here are the clowns, they are about 1":
IMG_0436.jpg

Tough to get a shot of the Blenny, he's a character, really neat fish and he eats very well:

IMG_0443.jpg

Here was the urchin on arrival day, can't get a great pic of him now. As he is hiding out under rocks in the shade but just showing this for how bad he looked:

60684696663__2BD89913-9319-4FBA-8041-ACB4A0F068B4.JPG

And last, here is a Full Tank Shot:

IMG_0440.jpg

Kris IMG_0403.jpg

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back