How to get rid of moss growing on rocks

chris510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get rid of moss growing on my rocks? I was told to get some Lawnmower Blenny. I had small amount of moss, but then I went on a 3 week vacation and it seem to explode. During my vacation, I had an autofeeder with pellets, and a water auto fill. When I came back, all the parameters were ok and all 4 of my fish, snails and crab were alive.

- Can I my rock outside in the sun and let the moss die off? Then I can scrape the dead moss off. I know this gets rid of the bacteria, but if I do it one by one each week, that'll give time for bacteria to get back onto the rocks. My friend said he did this before.

- I only have 2 clowns, a chromis, and a diamond gobby. They've lived for about 4 months in my tank.
- 40 gallon tank, about 1 year old

Nitrate - 25
Nitrite 0
Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.2
Phosphate - .25
Iron - 0
Copper - 0
Chlorine - 0
Total Hardness - 150
Total Alkalinity -250
Carbonate - 40
Salinity - 1.025

IMG_8499.JPG

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get rid of moss growing on my rocks? I was told to get some Lawnmower Blenny. I had small amount of moss, but then I went on a 3 week vacation and it seem to explode. During my vacation, I had an autofeeder with pellets, and a water auto fill. When I came back, all the parameters were ok and all 4 of my fish, snails and crab were alive.

- Can I my rock outside in the sun and let the moss die off? Then I can scrape the dead moss off. I know this gets rid of the bacteria, but if I do it one by one each week, that'll give time for bacteria to get back onto the rocks. My friend said he did this before.

- I only have 2 clowns, a chromis, and a diamond gobby. They've lived for about 4 months in my tank.

Nitrate - 25
Nitrite 0
Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.2
Phosphate - .25
Iron - 0
Copper - 0
Chlorine - 0
Total Hardness - 150
Total Alkalinity -250
Carbonate - 40
Salinity - 1.025

IMG_8499.JPG
That algae is likely a result of your high phosphates. I definitely WOULD NOT put your rocks outside as if will kill any good bacteria that you have on them. I would focus on more water changes and potentially add some GFO and/or reduce feeding slightly. Optimal phosphate number is between 0.03-0.1 . You could also reduce the intensity of your light or reduce the photoperiod as long as you dont have any corals.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into getting a few books by Robert Fenner, Mike Palletta, Julian sprung and start doing some reading.
If you are not a reader, then there are terrific videos out on youtube from Meleves Reef, Reef Dudes, BRSRV.
From your post you seem like your new in this hobby, Knowledge is power !!!

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into getting a few books by Robert Fenner, Mike Palletta, Julian sprung and start doing some reading.
If you are not a reader, then there are terrific videos out on youtube from Meleves Reef, Reef Dudes, BRSRV.
From your post you seem like your new in this hobby, Knowledge is power !!!
Books are more likely to be outdated than something like BRSTV videos lol. Either way he'll learn about the dreaded hair moss :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrate - 25
Nitrite 0
Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.2
Phosphate - .25
Iron - 0
Copper - 0
Chlorine - 0
Total Hardness - 150
Total Alkalinity -250
Carbonate - 40
Salinity - 1.025

IMG_8499.JPG

That isn't moss. It is green hair algae. You can get rid of it through husbandry.

Faithful, weekly 20% water changes will help as your nutrient levels are feeding the algae.

I would scrub off as much as you can with a tooth brush, then siphon off 20% to collect up what is free floating in the tank. Then add new salt water.

While not ridiculously elevated, your nutrient levels are the problem here.

You may want to run a refugium too. Does your system use a sump?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon pipe and tooth brush and suck it up instead of spreading it around your tank . Also check your nitrate and phosphate levels also lighting time and finally good cuc . Sorry just read above post same as him

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expose the rocks to the sun for a prolonged length of time. What you could do is take the rocks out and get a stiff bristled brush and give them a good scrubbing. Rinse them off and back into the tank. Also follow the advice already given, water changes and snails.

I got a lawnmower blenny too. I have my doubts on their effectiveness in algae control. Mine seems to live on nothing more than the film on the glass and pellets. He won't touch anything else but he's still a super cool fish.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, add a cleanup crew. Snails some hermit crabs and regular water changes

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expose the rocks to the sun for a prolonged length of time. What you could do is take the rocks out and get a stiff bristled brush and give them a good scrubbing. Rinse them off and back into the tank. Also follow the advice already given, water changes and snails.

One important detail: Rinse in old tank water or RODI. Do not use tap water for rinsing.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That algae is likely a result of your high phosphates. I definitely WOULD NOT put your rocks outside as if will kill any good bacteria that you have on them. I would focus on more water changes and potentially add some GFO and/or reduce feeding slightly. Optimal phosphate number is between 0.03-0.1 . You could also reduce the intensity of your light or reduce the photoperiod as long as you dont have any corals.
Running GFO is a solid choice. Turbo snails and crabs will cut it down nicely. Tangs would be better but your tank size is limited.

Attachments

• IMG_7381.jpeg
    IMG_7381.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7380.jpeg
    IMG_7380.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 23

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following the vote for more snails. I alway underestimated and never put in enough. Remove as much by hand and add a bunch of snails.
Green hair algae isn't the end of the world and is quite natural regardless of what many folks will have you believe ;)

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Books are more likely to be outdated than something like BRSTV videos lol. Either way he'll learn about the dreaded hair moss :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
While some info in books maybe outdated the basics are the same. And books aren't pimping products ;)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I my rock outside in the sun and let the moss die off?
Can do if you want. Tank rock that’s been dried then put in the tank always seems to mature quickly for some reason. I like urchins and snails to do the heavy lifting, all day, every day.

OP
OP
C

chris510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll keep working at it. And for a question above, the pump, filters, heaters are on the back side. It’s a small tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back