Ich Problem, Please Help

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never try to make a diagnosis of Ich based on one spot. My Hippo Tang (Dory) gets single white spots all of the time.

Look to see how long it stays in the same place for and others that look similar. Ich should stay visible for at least a day or two before it drops off. If it lasts under 24 hours or more than 72 hours odds are it is not Ich.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never try to make a diagnosis of Ich based on one spot. My Hippo Tang (Dory) gets single white spots all of the time.

Look to see how long it stays in the same place for and others that look similar. Ich should stay visible for at least a day or two before it drops off. If it lasts under 24 hours or more than 72 hours odds are it is not Ich.
I would agree with this.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got him 2 weeks ago,he had three spots and the other 2 disapeared and that one has just been there, I guess I could just put the carbon back in and hold back on the Kordon. If it gets out of hand I will do whatever I can to fallow the tank and squish in a 10 gallon quarentine

Reeftown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience Ich is usually caused by something and is not necessarily the problem initially. Make certain all water quality parameters are ok. pH, NH4, NO2 and no fluctuation in temp. Because you can cure the fish but if the problem persists he will just get sick again. Once Cryptocaryon has been prevalent on a fish for a while then it becomes the problem. Typically a fish will fight off a small ich attack on it own if you have corrected the EVENT. Start with your water quality. He's not that bad yet from the pic. Remember, Ich is present in the gut of all fish and requires a stress to cause the cyst wall to rupture and the ich to reproduce.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him 2 weeks ago,he had three spots and the other 2 disapeared and that one has just been there, I guess I could just put the carbon back in and hold back on the Kordon. If it gets out of hand I will do whatever I can to fallow the tank and squish in a 10 gallon quarentine
If that spot has been there for 2 weeks it is definitely not Ich. I've never heard of Chromis getting Lympho but it is possible. It could also be an injury to that scale.
If you don't see the white spots come back and then disappear after a day or two I wouldn't take the tank fallow yet. High quality food and good water conditions would be a great place to start.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience Ich is usually caused by something and is not necessarily the problem initially. Make certain all water quality parameters are ok. pH, NH4, NO2 and no fluctuation in temp. Because you can cure the fish but if the problem persists he will just get sick again. Once Cryptocaryon has been prevalent on a fish for a while then it becomes the problem. Typically a fish will fight off a small ich attack on it own if you have corrected the EVENT. Start with your water quality. He's not that bad yet from the pic. Remember, Ich is present in the gut of all fish and requires a stress to cause the cyst wall to rupture and the ich to reproduce.
The water is good as of yesterday nitrates was at like 2ppm, Is a PH of 8 good?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is present in the gut of all fish and requires a stress to cause the cyst wall to rupture and the ich to reproduce.
I agree with much of what you said, but this isn't quite right. Marine Ich is a parasite that lives on the surface of a fish, not in it's gut. When it is done feeding on the fish it drops off the fish and forms a cyst on a hard surface to reproduce.
Many fish can develop an immunity to Ich. This limits the Ich's ability to reproduce so it doesn't grow to a visible size and doesn't produce many daughters. When a stress even occurs the fish can rapidly lose its immunity and the ich can grow to a visible size within a day and reproduce rapidly.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that spot has been there for 2 weeks it is definitely not Ich. I've never heard of Chromis getting Lympho but it is possible. It could also be an injury to that scale.
If you don't see the white spots come back and then disappear after a day or two I wouldn't take the tank fallow yet. High quality food and good water conditions would be a great place to start.
Guess I'll monitor the spots, Will they leave and reappear if it is ich?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'll monitor the spots, Will they leave and reappear if it is ich?
Yes, they will. Ich feeds on a fish for 3 to 9 days but it will not be visible when it first starts growing. Once it is done feeding it will drop off and the fish will look clean for a few days to a few weeks. Then the next generation of Ich hatches and attacks the fish again causing spots to reappear.

I would stop the Kordon. I don't run carbon so putting it back in is up to you. I try to minimize running carbon because it can cause other stress issues with fish.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they will. Ich feeds on a fish for 3 to 9 days but it will not be visible when it first starts growing. Once it is done feeding it will drop off and the fish will look clean for a few days to a few weeks. Then the next generation of Ich hatches and attacks the fish again causing spots to reappear.

I would stop the Kordon. I don't run carbon so putting it back in is up to you. I try to minimize running carbon because it can cause other stress issues with fish.
Ok Thanks! :D I'll just cram in a quarintine if it has ich. hopefully it doesn't. Any good options for copper meds?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Thanks! :D I'll just cram in a quarintine if it has ich. hopefully it doesn't. Any good options for copper meds?
I prefer coppersafe. It is readily available at Petco and the API copper test kit works with it. It is also more gentle than other coppers.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it, mine is on my dinning room table right now. My girlfriend is not happy.

My wife wants to kill me most days. She's a pharmacist so she could do it and get away with it. If I ever disappear....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back