Introducing the Hydros Maven

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have to wait and see. Tomorrow I'm sure they will put a video out. See what it does how it does it and what comes with it and what it can tell other things to do.
What it may do in the future also
Have to wait and see I guess

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, 1,200 is steep! But I'm hoping it is a step up and improvement from what's out there on the market currently. If it is + it's more accurate I could maybe delude myself into getting it :grinning-face-with-sweat:
This will work for dosing control. We can fine tune the alk, cal, mag, no3 and phos (both reducing and increasing) with different additives based on what kind of livestock we have.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. CoralVue has not posted the price. The number above is speculation and 2nd hand. It could be right, could be wrong. Just wait like everyone else until Coral Vue makes their announcement tomorrow (I think they said). It isn't like you are going to go buy it today.

CoralVue - I'd like to get some insight / update on the Gen 2 Coral Care lights....
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 5.29.09 AM.jpeg

Mine says 1k, the other says 1200….my lfs manager is friends with one of the guys because he stops into the shop from time to time and said they were looking at the 1k price range, but if it works what’s 200 more??

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 5.29.09 AM.jpeg

Mine says 1k, the other says 1200….my lfs manager is friends with one of the guys because he stops into the shop from time to time and said they were looking at the 1k price range, but if it works what’s 200 more??

I stand corrected - this is the first "CoralVue" post - so right out of the horses mouth.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in how this plays out, adding NO and PO testing along with controller flexibility is pretty cool. If it works well this would be worth the 1k or 1200 or whatever bucks for many people.

tangerine_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will work for dosing control. We can fine tune the alk, cal, mag, no3 and phos (both reducing and increasing) with different additives based on what kind of livestock we have.

So my understanding is that if paired with a Hydros doser it can automatically make changes to dosing amounts to match your desired levels? Sorry am new to the whole auto dosing/controller world.

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my understanding is that if paired with a Hydros doser it can automatically make changes to dosing amounts to match your desired levels? Sorry am new to the whole auto dosing/controller world.
That's correct, it'll be programmed to do so. Apex already has this with Trident and Dos modules, so I expect to have the same functionality.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1712855658059.png

Metadata on the site shows $1200, but says coming soon when you go to the page. The x10 and kraken had the same thing, and the prices were spot on if I remember right.
I was excited to get this but ouch

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The main drive for me an Apex was a few fold:
- single ecosystem integration (AI, MPs, Apex)
- integrated testing
- aquabus distance
- flexible programming

Their testing is crap. Salinity probes are just plain wrong, calibrations are off for alk (and everything) trident, etc

The programming language (as a software engineer) is limited and stupid. I wouldn’t call this programming as much as I would call it “lazy” on their side.

The aquabus distance is only relevant with iffy WiFi in comparison.

And the eco system is half baked — the Apex app is terrible for the most part.

If everything above wasn’t enough, their hardware is sheer cheap crap being over charged. I’m simply baffled and have been tempted multiple times to go open source.

Apex has also seemingly been absent for the past 1-2 years post merger with major concern.

I just wish Hydros had some proper APIs

Couldn't have said it better myself. Neptune Systems has been in shambles ever since they burned down Terence's tank and then fired him over it.

Once the date on this is confirmed and I have my order in I'll be selling off my Apex and trident system. I've been waiting to switch to Hydros. It looks infinitely better.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's already a headache to tune and setup Apex Trident. I'm sure it's the same here and if it takes hours to do so, might as well just break out the Hanna and Salifert and call it a day.

Setting up and tuning a Trident takes less than an hour. The hardest part is testing each parameter manually 3 times and getting an average.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's already a headache to tune and setup Apex Trident. I'm sure it's the same here and if it takes hours to do so, might as well just break out the Hanna and Salifert and call it a day.
I have been reefing since the 1995. I remember my first test kit

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't have said it better myself. Neptune Systems has been in shambles ever since they burned down Terence's tank and then fired him over it.

Once the date on this is confirmed and I have my order in I'll be selling off my Apex and trident system. I've been waiting to switch to Hydros. It looks infinitely better.
Proper secure screw-on/BNC connectors has me contemplating the same . . .

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper secure screw-on/BNC connectors has me contemplating the same . . .

I'll tell you, those GX connectors played a huge role in my decision to go with Hydros. Molex + Saltwater (or water in general) makes no sense to me.

Granted I had the luxury of starting new and wasn't invested in the Neptune ecosystem so it was an easy decision for me.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell you, those GX connectors played a huge role in my decision to go with Hydros. Molex + Saltwater (or water in general) makes no sense to me.

Granted I had the luxury of starting new and wasn't invested in the Neptune ecosystem so it was an easy decision for me.

Been Neptune since an AC3, or was it a Jr.? Starting over from the top, you couldn't pay me to go with an Apex. (see my future reply in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...)

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main drive for me an Apex was a few fold:
- single ecosystem integration (AI, MPs, Apex)
- integrated testing
- aquabus distance
- flexible programming

Their testing is crap. Salinity probes are just plain wrong, calibrations are off for alk (and everything) trident, etc

The programming language (as a software engineer) is limited and stupid. I wouldn’t call this programming as much as I would call it “lazy” on their side.

The aquabus distance is only relevant with iffy WiFi in comparison.

And the eco system is half baked — the Apex app is terrible for the most part.

If everything above wasn’t enough, their hardware is sheer cheap crap being over charged. I’m simply baffled and have been tempted multiple times to go open source.

Apex has also seemingly been absent for the past 1-2 years post merger with major concern.

I just wish Hydros had some proper APIs

Here here, spot on. Let me add two more examples that are unforgiveable that go to your point of resting on their laurels:
-it's 2024 and I can't export data without going through setting VARIABLES IN THE URL through xml status pages, so much for an easy automated way to dump data
-4 feed cycles. 4. Since I've had a Jr in 2007. There's so many things that should be table driven and the absence of them in some areas of functionality is . . . puzzling.

By APIs I assume you mean native integration with AI/Vortechs/etc.?

I can easily see myself in a Hydros system in the next few years and this Maven looks kick @!$.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back