Introducing the Hydros Maven

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-it's 2024 and I can't export data without going through setting URL hoops through xml status pages, so much for an easy automated way to dump data

I really don't know how much easier they, Neptune, can get it. Local address/rest/status or local address/rest/dlog. I have telegraf setup to collect the data and stuff it into an influxDB then I use Granfana for the presentation layer. Been doing this for years now. Can also use Excel and use the web connection to import.

About the only thing I noticed was that at some point I had to change the header from username, password to include the conect.sid cookie. I don't know if that was a Neptune thing or me changing grafana or influxdb versions.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know how much easier they, Neptune, can get it. Local address/rest/status or local address/rest/dlog. I have telegraf setup to collect the data and stuff it into an influxDB then I use Granfana for the presentation layer. Been doing this for years now. Can also use Excel and use the web connection to import.

About the only thing I noticed was that at some point I had to change the header from username, password to include the conect.sid cookie. I don't know if that was a Neptune thing or me changing grafana or influxdb versions.
I've seen the github for your setup and it's not what I would call an automated setup. I have to learn telegraf, influx and granfana, sounds way longer than a weekend for me and another Pi5 in my future for all this to sit on, or I learn proxmox and yeah nope no thanks to all of this.

Per usual, finding documentation on accessing the data exports like the Excel option has been, frustrating to date. Maybe I'm missing something, happy to be proven wrong. But going through status and all the other xmls for input into some other home built system is just so much more complicated than it needs to be so I disagree, Neptune can make it way easier, and hopefully I'll find out if Hydros has.

kayleb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pay 1200 all day and make the switch from apex and reefbot if it works, really interested in the reagent aspect tho, 3rd party? Internal?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the github for your setup and it's not what I would call an automated setup. I have to learn telegraf, influx and granfana, sounds way longer than a weekend for me and another Pi5 in my future for all this to sit on, or I learn proxmox and yeah nope no thanks to all of this.

Per usual, finding documentation on accessing the data exports like the Excel option has been, frustrating to date. Maybe I'm missing something, happy to be proven wrong.

• First - you haven't seen my repo. I do not have any public repo's
  • Second - learning is relative. Docker is your friend as is LXC or any other container that suits your fancy or bare metal
  • Third - you can open Excel and import
  • Lastly - basic information is in the documentation. All you have to do is look. Neptune portal, documentation, comprehensive_reference_manual.pdf - look at chapter 10.

There is no need to prove you or anyone wrong. Not my jam. However you stated it was a challenge to get and I replied that it really isn't. Opening Excel and importing data is trivial. I understand telegraf is not normal but it also isn't needed. I incorrectly assumed you had knowledge of data collection based on your comment of API, data export talk. My mistake.

All the best.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to put it in perspective though. The Maven is also a controller, the Trident is not.

This right here. It is a standalone controller in and of itself. It has a “brain” and is not just a testing device. With the added drive and sense ports you can use temp sensors and run an ato and have extra redundancy when added to an already established collective or just another Hydros device to make a collective. Other testing devices like the trident require a brain, this is the brain.
So my understanding is that if paired with a Hydros doser it can automatically make changes to dosing amounts to match your desired levels? Sorry am new to the whole auto dosing/controller world.

Yes, dynamic dosing is possible.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • First - you haven't seen my repo. I do not have any public repo's
  • Second - learning is relative. Docker is your friend as is LXC or any other container that suits your fancy or bare metal
  • Third - you can open Excel and import
  • Lastly - basic information is in the documentation. All you have to do is look. Neptune portal, documentation, comprehensive_reference_manual.pdf - look at chapter 10.

There is no need to prove you or anyone wrong. Not my jam. However you stated it was a challenge to get and I replied that it really isn't. Opening Excel and importing data is trivial. I understand telegraf is not normal but it also isn't needed. I incorrectly assumed you had knowledge of data collection based on your comment of API, data export talk. My mistake.

All the best.
Right there chapter 10, I have no problem being wrong, it's how we learn. Thank you. Tbh, once upon a time I think we had to do this via ssh (?) and it was different enough when I moved to a post Apex-2016 I probably lost the thread.

We can talk the same language. Excel is MUCH easier for the common human than learning a container platform, my mistake was not reading chapter 10 (ha!) and for assuming that you thought the tri-layer data collection was an easy setup. Mea culpa. And as punishment, rest easy knowing I'm going to Excel hell for a few hours.

Edit: someone has your same setup on github, or I completely imagined it or saw it as part of something else.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right there chapter 10, I have no problem being wrong, it's how we learn. Thank you. Tbh, once upon a time I think we had to do this via ssh (?) and it was different enough when I moved to a post Apex-2016 I probably lost the thread.

We can talk the same language. Excel is MUCH easier for the common human than learning a container platform, my mistake was not reading chapter 10 (ha!) and for assuming that you thought the tri-layer data collection was an easy setup. Mea culpa. And as punishment, rest easy knowing I'm going to Excel hell for a few hours.

Edit: someone has your same setup on github, or I completely imagined it or saw it as part of something else.

No right or wrong my fellow hobbyist. Hopefully it helps. Regarding repo no idea. There are a couple out there that I've seen but none of mine. Couple years back both here and on Neptune forums a few threads showed up. Some of the hobbyist are really good at stuff so repo's are there. I don't know how often updated or the branches, sorry. I'm pretty bad so don't. Work though, well, that is work and part of bonus believe it or not was based on documentation in both repos and source code. And some people are just better at it or at time management :D

Not me. Anyway to all in the thread I apologize for the slight derailment.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how to keep a business going. think of it like apple vs android. withholding certain things to "outcompete" the competitor in future releases.

i do believe this is a good release, but depending on price point it may as well be another trophy item that is catered to more of the "higher end" or "bigger pocket" hobbyists. granted... price is subjective to the population. "1k$" to automate testing that can be done manually within <20mins.
I consider that to be underhanded business practices.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why in the hell did they leave salinity off that. They only offer it on one other controller one that costs $800. They should have added Salinity to this. This omission is further fueling my fears that CoralVue is doing this on purpose to make it so reefers HAVE to buy multiple controllers all at very high price points.
Honest question. Why do you need a salinity probe? It takes me 10 seconds to check my salinity with my refractometer when I do a water change. Maybe I'm an outlier but I've only had the salinity in my tank fluctuate a point maybe twice in the last 5 years.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Honest question. Why do you need a salinity probe? It takes me 10 seconds to check my salinity with my refractometer when I do a water change. Maybe I'm an outlier but I've only had the salinity in my tank fluctuate a point maybe twice in the last 5 years.
i believe that member meant it in the sense that if their competitors are already including it in their products, why not hydros?

i agree. its 2024 and reefing has become more automated. why wouldn't a new product not include something like that?

Saltysav96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why in the hell did they leave salinity off that. They only offer it on one other controller one that costs $800. They should have added Salinity to this. This omission is further fueling my fears that CoralVue is doing this on purpose to make it so reefers HAVE to buy multiple controllers all at very high price points.
the X10 and the newly annouced "launch" has the salinity probe port.

as far as with everything in this hobby. you will always have to buy something to add on to something. thats with any technology.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe that member meant it in the sense that if their competitors are already including it in their products, why not hydros?

i agree. its 2024 and reefing has become more automated. why wouldn't a new product not include something like that?
I guess so. My impression from the forum has been that most salinity probes are hot garbage so why even bother. Full disclosures, I've never had a controller, they interest me but there is always something else that needs the money first.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Interesting...

...but will it integrate with the Vertex controller. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No, seriously speaking, this is really interesting.

Jury is still out how well it works (cost, accuracy, etc) but I'm impressed with what CoralVue is doing in the aquarium controller area.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only so many IO ports on the processor they use in their controllers so that will limit the amount of individual things each one will control. There is a lot going on just with testing on the Maven. The Launch will also have a salinity port on it when it becomes available.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the Maven is a stand alone unit it’s not a bad price if you compare to the Trident that requires an Apex - the price point is comparable. However if you look at what Neptune announced today (Trident N&P) if that cost is comparable to the current Trident, the Maven becomes a much better price point.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Maven is a stand alone unit it’s not a bad price if you compare to the Trident that requires an Apex - the price point is comparable. However if you look at what Neptune announced today (Trident N&P) if that cost is comparable to the current Trident, the Maven becomes a much better price point.
The Maven is a controller. In the Hydros world all controllers can be used stand alone or in a collective with other Hydros controllers. Instead of a main brain and several modules each module in the Hydros is a controller that can work on it's own or in a collective with other controllers. In a collective all inputs and outputs are shared with the collective so it acts a a larger controller which is the sum of all members. So if you get the Maven and decide you need more inputs are outputs all you would need is another controller with the inputs and outputs needed and a command bus cable and at least one terminator. to connect them together. Since the Maven has a power supply you can add another controller without it being a power giver.

Last edited:

Basti3n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the leak we have been looking for????? 742.99 cad??!!

Attachments

• maven.jpg
    maven.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 40

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back