Is the hobby becoming too pricy? Discussion

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife hates this hobby because of how much I blow on it...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol lets see ur tank ford family ill tell u if I would hate it to.lol. I think if it looks beautiful they tend to tolerate it more

I will post videos soon, I have three tanks.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts on the topic for what it’s worth…

“Expensive†is determined by ones fiscal position. Some people can easily afford the fancy $500 Scoly and to others, it’s simply out of reach. Fair market value is determined by a willing and able seller and a willing and able buyer…capitalism at its best. So there is no wrong answer here.

I researched for months before doing this right. I do agree with a previous post, some people do not research sufficiently, and don’t realize the costs associated with the set up and keeping of an aquarium. Yes, it can be done on a budget and yes you can blow a budget very easily – again, no wrong answer.

As to my personal situation, it has been more expensive than I originally planned. However, having been married for as long as I have and having raised two daughters, this hobby pales in comparison to the closets full of Lululemon, handbags and boxes of American Girl dolls that are being saved for the eventual grandkids!!!

Moral of the story…no matter what’s in your tank, a $500 Scoly or a $5 frag of simple zoas, we should all enjoy the amazing eco systems we have in our living rooms.

Just my opinion…

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feel like the hobbyist that say this hobby is expensive is either wanting to get their foot in the door so they can brag about how much they have spent on their setup, bought top of the line stuff and want to justify their purchases, have no need to shop around for good deals, want to discourage others from getting into the hobby because they want to feel special, have never had another hobby to compare to, live paycheck to paycheck and shouldn't be spending money on hobbies anyway, or all of the above. Not trying to ruffle any feathers :) but seriously get into any other hobby/collecting and it's all the same. You can spend a few bucks a month on it or thousands. Just look at coin/stamp collecting, hifi stereos, guns, jukebox, pinball, skydiving, sports cards, race cars, remote controlled planes, legos...don't get me started on legos :) there's a cheap way and an expensive way to do them all. If you say this hobby is too expensive then you need to take a look at your choices and change something about it.

When the next nano in 90 starts I am going to enter with a budget of 150 in startup and 20 a month for matinence....I bet I can do it easily, successfully and enjoy the heck out of it.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its not yet because it an be done relativity cheap now...
If the ban hammer comes down it will get crazy and it is coming..
Hawaii will most likely be first.. This will eliminate most yellow tangs and allot of the wrasses in this hobby. Yellow tang prices will go through the roof putting pressure on other tangs and other fish and so on.

kchapmanjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Economics drives prices. You can't just lower a price just because. Prices get too high it attracts competition. It is a hobby, but it can NEVER be immune to naturally occurring economic forces. You can't regulate prices because you'll diminish supply and quality. The youth can get a better job, they can save. If its that important they'll find a way. Capitalism is beautiful thing that brings out the very best in individuals! Sw hobby is no different!
Totally agree. Spoken like someone who who actually knows a little about how (and why) supply and demand forces work reciprocatively. Look what Jebao did when they saw what ecotech was doing. I run all wp’s on my system now, and have for a couple of years with no regret and more to spend on the things that I really want to spend money on. Research and patience is key in this hobby (more accurately, lifestyle...) and those with due diligence are rewarded accordingly. Prices fluctuate constantly. Case in point... Anyone remember how much the "original" SSC went for when it was all the hype? I do. They were crazy when first released. Now SSC's can be had just about anywhere for about $30-50 a frag. Supply increased, more suppliers entered the market, and prices plummeted. It's the nature of the beast (that WE created, by the way).

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start up is pretty pricey just like any other hobby. I'm definitely into 5 grand over a year with tank and everything in it. But my tanks been paying for itself for maybe 4 or 5 months now. Buy some nice stuff and start fragging. I just made some money off my zoas. I also make some tank funds off my cheato. I don't even get crazy about it I just have an account at the lfs. I take stuff I have in for credits. I've been making 200 in credits every month. I spend it all on my tank but atleast I'm not going out of pocket.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every hobby is expensive. Name a hobby any golf ,hunting ,fishing even something like gardening. Every pursuit worth pursuing is expensive in both time and pocket book.

I completly disagree.

Golf - Bag of Clubs and Balls and you are good to go = Cheap and a one time purchase
Hunting - Gun/Bow = Cheap
Gardening - My Mom has a very very large garden and probably spends 10.00 a year on seeds (She does put in a billion hours every summer weeding and maintaining it though - Some would argue time is money).

If I you get bored hunting, fishing, coin collecting, whatever else, you can throw that stuff in the closet and forget about it.

Meanwhile you have to buy food, salt, keep everything running raising the electric bill and do work as well - You cannot shelve it and forget about it like most hobbies.

Yes, there are more expensive hobbies like cars and boat and stuff but there are a million hobbies that are cheaper than reefing.

Just look at Freshwater.

When I did FW I probably spent 20.00 a year on food and replacing dead fish.

But I spend thousands and thousands each year on Coral.

So no this is by no means a cheap hobby.

Yes, some people may spend a whole lot less than you or a whole lot more than you but overall it is very expensive for most everyone.

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is as expensive as you let it become. I know from experience it can be done with an investment of a couple hundred dollars and a budget of 75 dollars a month. Granted your getting used equipment and you won't be keeping sps but it's possible. And for buying coral, just wait for a live sale...150 bucks on a live sale can buy ya 10 frags including shipping.

75.00 a month and you can't keep SPS?

Says who.

I keep plenty of SPS and do not spend anywhere near that amount on SPS.

Fish Food and Saltwater does not cost that much.

That is all you need to buy every month.

I do not need to Spinkle Gold Dust into my Tank to keep SPS?

Price for me keeping SPS is no different than any other Coral I keep.

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the it doesn't have 2 be expensive. You can spend 200 bucks and have a nice used 29g biocube running. Couple fish and one nice piece of rock. Boom u have a pretty nice tank.

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75.00 a month and you can't keep SPS?

Says who.

I keep plenty of SPS and do not spend anywhere near that amount on SPS.

Fish Food and Saltwater does not cost that much.

That is all you need to buy every month.

I do not need to Spinkle Gold Dust into my Tank to keep SPS?

Price for me keeping SPS is no different than any other Coral I keep.

I was speaking in my case with a biocube and pc lighting back when I started.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start up is pretty pricey just like any other hobby. I'm definitely into 5 grand over a year with tank and everything in it. But my tanks been paying for itself for maybe 4 or 5 months now. Buy some nice stuff and start fragging. I just made some money off my zoas. I also make some tank funds off my cheato. I don't even get crazy about it I just have an account at the lfs. I take stuff I have in for credits. I've been making 200 in credits every month. I spend it all on my tank but atleast I'm not going out of pocket.

Very True.

Yes, it can be very very expensive.

But you can Profit of this Hobby very easily too.

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completly disagree.

Golf - Bag of Clubs and Balls and you are good to go = Cheap and a one time purchase
Hunting - Gun/Bow = Cheap
Gardening - My Mom has a very very large garden and probably spends 10.00 a year on seeds (She does put in a billion hours every summer weeding and maintaining it though - Some would argue time is money).

If I you get bored hunting, fishing, coin collecting, whatever else, you can throw that stuff in the closet and forget about it.

Meanwhile you have to buy food, salt, keep everything running raising the electric bill and do work as well - You cannot shelve it and forget about it like most hobbies.

Yes, there are more expensive hobbies like cars and boat and stuff but there are a million hobbies that are cheaper than reefing.

Just look at Freshwater.

When I did FW I probably spent 20.00 a year on food and replacing dead fish.

But I spend thousands and thousands each year on Coral.

So no this is by no means a cheap hobby.

Yes, some people may spend a whole lot less than you or a whole lot more than you but overall it is very expensive for most everyone.
But that's all relative based on time. I spend a few hours every day looking at my tank in all reality it runs 24/7...go golfing or hunting a few hours every day and see how expensive it gets. And just like only buying used golf clubs and some balls (who needs golf carts, golf shoes, memberships, dorky clothing) you don't need to spend thousands buying corals you could just have a tank full of gsp and still be a reefer. Last I checked a box of salt is like 59 bucks for 180 gallons. So I buy 2 a year to perform 25%weekly water changes there's 120 bucks. RO water is 30 cents a gallon. That's $108 in water. My tank maybe uses 250 watts so about $1.25a day. So about $700 a year for running cost. Plus supplementing by selling frags I'm usually ahead overall. But even if I don't sell...I couldn't do much of anything every day on $700 a year

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll explain it like this. Here's my other hobby. Guess which one is more expensive

Edit I also snowmobile in the winter. My son will start racing next year along with that.

Attachments

• 1430279598588.jpg
    1430279598588.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hunt and fish a lot and can say that its FAR more expensive than reef keeping, at least I make it more expensive which is the point of my post. I saw above where the reef guy posted gun/bow equals cheap. If that's all that was put into hunting then yes it would be cheap. Land leases or the cost of land is in the thousands, tree stands, ammo, travel, camo, scent block, if you are into taxidermy, that can be thousands a year, travel and the list goes on and on. Yes some people slap on some military camo and a 100.00 shotgun and hunt which is cheap. Also some people have a nano and 100.00 LED making the hobby cheap. As for fishing, you can fish from the shore or spend 75k+ for an offshore fishing boat. It's all relative on what you would like to spend. This and any other hobby can be cheap or expensive..

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hunt and fish a lot and can say that its FAR more expensive than reef keeping, at least I make it more expensive which is the point of my post. I saw above where the reef guy posted gun/bow equals cheap. If that's all that was put into hunting then yes it would be cheap. Land leases or the cost of land is in the thousands, tree stands, ammo, travel, camo, scent block, if you are into taxidermy, that can be thousands a year, travel and the list goes on and on. Yes some people slap on some military camo and a 100.00 shotgun and hunt which is cheap. Also some people have a nano and 100.00 LED making the hobby cheap. As for fishing, you can fish from the shore or spend 75k+ for an offshore fishing boat. It's all relative on what you would like to spend. This and any other hobby can be cheap or expensive..
Exactly I know some guys that would laugh @ hunting being cheap. 2k for a trip up north 1k for the rifle 2k for a scope 1k to have a bear mounted....and fishing.....yeah its cheap if you want to sit on a dock with a walmart fishingpole and a styro of worms lol. But like I said most hobbies are expensive if you make them expensive...

Last edited:

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't even get me started on what I spend on alcohol every year. That's the most expensive hobby of all imo!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back