Is the hobby becoming too pricy? Discussion

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.

So I was at work today and a guy came in and asked a co-worker if they were going to do any fishing this year.

So I said, "you fish I heard that was a really expensive hobby" just to get his reaction.

He laughed and said no.

"Look man, all you need is 50.00 and that gets you a Nice Poll, Worms, Some Lures, Weights, and a Bucket. That is all you need. Who told you it was expensive? They must be crazy or something"

Then I laughed.

Yes, I know if you go on Trips Fishing or Hunting it costs a lot just like any Vacation would.

My point is is that most people (Like the guy I talked to today) just go down to the local pond, stream, etc. by their house and spend a few hours relaxing with a fishing poll.

Very few fisherman take expensive trips, hunt sharks, etc.

But yes some do.

I am just saying most (or your average) do not spend much at all.

They keep it real casual.
Well in that case you could participate in this hobby for practically nothing. You could use a bucket and an airstone, $20 tank. Just stop by your local ocean and grab a few creatures and throw it in there......

Here's your sign.......

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in that case you could participate in this hobby for practically nothing. You could use a bucket and an airstone, $20 tank. Just stop by your local ocean and grab a few creatures and throw it in there......

Here's your sign.......

You can indeed do this Hobby for Next to Nothing (After initial setup that is).

All you really need after initial setup is Salt for Water Changes and Fish Food.

But also you will add to your energy bill every month too.

Of course most Reefers are not going to do that.

Most people who fish will do it for cheap.

My Father and Grandfather have fished for decades.

They never took one fancy trip.

They never bought an expensive Poll.

None of their friends did either.

In fact nobody I know has ever done that that fishes.

Yes, I know some you guys travel around the world every weekend fishing spending zillions of dollars.

I am just saying most people do not do that.

I am not saying it is impossible to spend a ton or saying that nobody spends a lot.

I am merely saying that "most" people do it very inexpensively.

And since "Most" people do it very inexpensively I therefore consider it an inexpensive hobby (For Most - maybe not you - but most).

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point I'm trying to make is if you were as serious about fishing as we all are about our tanks then it would be just as expensive. I do not know one reefer that's not completely obsessed with their tank.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point I'm trying to make is if you were as serious about fishing as we all are about our tanks then it would be just as expensive. I do not know one reefer that's not completely obsessed with their tank.

True.

The more you obsess the more you spend.

Where I live there are a zillion fisherman.

But they are all very very casual so they spend next to nothing.

I disagree about reefers not being obsesses with their tanks though.

To find them just go to your LFS. (You will not find them here).

All they know is the LFS.

Frag Swaps, High end online corals, club meetings, MACNA, Reef2Reef - They know nothing about any of that.

Anybody on this site is most likely extremely obsessed.

This site is known as the site where all the high end collectors hang out.

So naturally (generally speaking) the people on this site are going to spend more on Coral than the "average" reefer.

In turn they probably spend more on their other hobbies (fishing, hunting, golf, boats, etc.) as well.

I know how it is as I have a very very addictive personality.

Last edited:

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True.

The more you obsess the more you spend.

Where I live there are a zillion fisherman.

But they are all very very casual so they spend next to nothing.

I disagree about reefers not being obsesses with their tanks though.

To find them just go to your LFS. (You will not find them here).

Frag Swaps, High end online corals, club meetings, MACNA, Reef2Reef - They know nothing about any of that.

Anybody on this site is most likely extremely obsessed.

This site is known as the site where all the high end collectors hang out.

So naturally (generally speaking) the people on this site are going to spend more on Coral than the "average" reefer.

In turn they probably spend more on their other hobbies (fishing, hunting, golf, boats, etc.) as well.

I know how it is as I have a very very addictive personality.
So you personally know a zillion fishermen and what they spend on fishing? Interesting! And btw, it's fishing pole not poll(sorry it was bugging me)

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
corals price will never go down because everything else going up: rent,electricity,gas,import export tax ect....The only way you can save is don't buy.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals price will never go down because everything else going up: rent,electricity,gas,import export tax ect....The only way you can save is don't buy.

Coral Prices go Down as they get more Common and more People get them.

Look at the Reef Raft Stuff that Sells for $2,000 for a 1/4 Inch Frag.

Do you think that stuff will always be that High?

No, It Drops in Price as time goes on (Supply / Demand).

Reefkraz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started this tank 5 months ago and I spared no expense. I've had the 2 clowns for 4 years, they're like my dogs. people getting started in this hobby do not have the same connection as some of us vets.

The hobby has definitely gone up in price. But its all what you make of it. When I started I didn't use the best equipment and I was ok with it. Now I feel obligated to give my fish and coral the very best.

Now coral have home up crazy amounts from when I started but as the economy fluctuates, I think is more of the activists trying to shut things down that drive the price. No one wants to be the bad guy taking things from the ocean.

The best thing about this hobby is that we make strides in captive rearing and aquacultured corals.

I'm sure it will get better as things go along, until "finding dory" comes out. That could make a big mess with pricing.

Attachments

• 1432799968474.jpg
    1432799968474.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 114

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started this tank 5 months ago and I spared no expense. I've had the 2 clowns for 4 years, they're like my dogs. people getting started in this hobby do not have the same connection as some of us vets.

The hobby has definitely gone up in price. But its all what you make of it. When I started I didn't use the best equipment and I was ok with it. Now I feel obligated to give my fish and coral the very best.

Now coral have home up crazy amounts from when I started but as the economy fluctuates, I think is more of the activists trying to shut things down that drive the price. No one wants to be the bad guy taking things from the ocean.

The best thing about this hobby is that we make strides in captive rearing and aquacultured corals.

I'm sure it will get better as things go along, until "finding dory" comes out. That could make a big mess with pricing.

I do not think that Finding Dory is going to be a big deal.

Remember Dory's are a lot more Expensive than Nemo's.

I think that most people will not buy their Kids Dory simply due to the Already High Price Tag.

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started in salt and have been leaning a lot. I don't think it's that expensive a least not to me. I can't afford top of the line equipment so make do with what I can afford. There is a lot of options out there it's just a matter of how much time you want to put in your tank. Thousand dollars for a fancy lights with built in timers or 200 dollars for manual lights that you can use cheap Home Depot timers. I use a two gallon jug with a spigot as a water top off ,refill ever three days just drips into my sump.I like working on my tank for me it's therapy. I buy cheap 5 dollar or ten dollar frags so I can get them to grow that is the fun for me.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is only as expensive as you make it. It really is that simple.

I've spent a small fortune on my 200g at home. All by choice.
But my 10g nano at the office has cost me next to nothing in comparison.

www.everydayreef.com

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price of fish I get, due to increased regulations. Back in the day, you could catch Yellow Tangs in Hawaii all day long and sell them for $10-$20 retail. Fish from Australia have become extremely expensive due to regulations/import costs.

Now the price on (some) corals/inverts, however, is just pure greed. Since most are aquacultured these days. But so long as there are people willing to pay it, there will always be those more than happy to sell them for inflated prices. ;)

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start up costs are high, but it is what it is. Were not keeping daisy's here... these are some of the most delicate organisms in the world.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back