Is the hobby becoming too pricy? Discussion

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its rather expensive for me to buy coral/fish...there is no retailer where I live so everything has to be ordered and even several $15 frags will cost over $100 with shipping

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is as expensive as you let it become. I know from experience it can be done with an investment of a couple hundred dollars and a budget of 75 dollars a month. Granted your getting used equipment and you won't be keeping sps but it's possible. And for buying coral, just wait for a live sale...150 bucks on a live sale can buy ya 10 frags including shipping.

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is as expensive as you let it become. I know from experience it can be done with an investment of a couple hundred dollars and a budget of 75 dollars a month. Granted your getting used equipment and you won't be keeping sps but it's possible. And for buying coral, just wait for a live sale...150 bucks on a live sale can buy ya 10 frags including shipping.
My electric bill on tank is 100 $ a month alone
then there's vitamins food and mag/ cal. trace elements. Ph buffers and r/o di filters and resin and the water bill .. DOH. LOL. may have missed some things tank is only five months old

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My electric bill on tank is 100 $ a month alone
then there's vitamins food and mag/ cal. trace elements. Ph buffers and r/o di filters and resin and the water bill .. DOH. LOL. may have missed some things tank is only five months old
But how big is your tank?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 tanks running and my combined household electric bill is under 200. There are ways to control your costs and fig once the equip is bought other than maintenance the costs are really not that bad other than those who are always wanting to buy the most expensive coral pcs sure they are nice and i would love to have some but a person has to be realistic. Make a plan save up for that expensive stuff, trade with others, even sell some pieces locally or if your stuff is nice trade with lfs for store credit many lfs are willing to do this it helps with their costs and yours. Chillers can be expensive to run but if you really dont need to run one a fan blowing across the top of tank works great. People love their halides but the big trade off is temp increase in tank and power consumption increase but if you know this and expect it then you are willing to accept it. Do you have to have the latest and greatest and most expensive to have a very successful reef tank? I dont believe so but that decision is on you. Just my $.02 worth.

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 gal total
120gal MT
180 gal sump
2 radion pro .
100 blue line pump ..
2mp40 vortec pumps with battery back ups .
c99 bubble magnus skimmer.
Some kind of led on the refuge
This is my sump room
uploadfromtaptalk1430155859533.jpg

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 gal total
120gal MT
180 gal sump
2 radion pro .
100 blue line pump ..
2mp40 vortec pumps with battery back ups .
c99 bubble magnus skimmer.
Some kind of led on the refuge
This is my sump room
uploadfromtaptalk1430155859533.jpg
So what would you say total monthly running cost would be. Thats just electricity, water, salt, wearable parts ie bulbs, filter media ect., nutrients ie food and trace suppliments?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez there are a lot of nuts in this hobby! "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!" :D

dcarrion144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a funny topic cuz we all sound like we need to be accountants when all we want is a piece of the ocean in our living rooms. Lol. I started this hobby with a 20 gallon high tank that cost me $20. Then got a hang on the back filter for salt water which cost me $30. Then I got a protein skimmer rated for 75 gallons for $150. Then the normal live rock which costed me $100 and sand for $20. After that I bought fish and I was happy with that for a while until I wanted to go bigger. But for starters I was happy with maintaining what people was saying was hard to do. Naturally after u get your feet wet u decide to upgrade and get proficient and redundant to ur hobby. U then get more professional with it and there lies the money

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um never went that far as to figure that..it was the eletric that was a small slap in the head..lol but I'm still buying corals fish..
Hell I went threw 800 gal of ro/di and a set of filters when I was just curing the #75lbs of rock for the tank

jeffrey m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks set up all tied together in one system total of 300 gallons. My total cost buying setting up plus corals and fish is 1000 dollars. I dont have expensive corals but have a few I picked up for cheap that I see for higher prices. I run 2 250 halide fixtures and 1 175w fixture. With 2 54w t5s for the sump. Mu power bill only went up 60 dollars a month. But I bought most of my stuff from people moving and selling their tanks and equipment for cheap or free.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm @610-gallons (roughly) total water volume in my house, thats a little shy of $40K:Cry: in tanks, sumps, lights, plumbing, etc., etc., etc... and worse yet, I have all the receipts to prove it... that's an expense spread over about 8yrs so is that a bad or a good thing:noidea:... I love this hobby but, that math makes me think I'm a little loco:crazy:.

mau386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got t5s. Run them 6 hours a day. Tank is a 57 gallon with 20 gallon pump. Electric bill last two months was about 60 dollars each month. :-D

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm @610-gallons (roughly) total water volume in my house, thats a little shy of $40K:Cry: in tanks, sumps, lights, plumbing, etc., etc., etc... and worse yet, I have all the receipts to prove it... that's an expense spread over about 8yrs so is that a bad or a good thing:noidea:... I love this hobby but, that math makes me think I'm a little loco:crazy:.

Don't let your wife find them receipts, lol

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as a hobby it can be one of the less expensive if you watch what you pay for things. You can spend thousands on radions or a little over $100 for t5. You can buy mp series powerheads and drop a ton of coin or buy jebao for under $100. The same thing goes for corals. You can buy reef raft at $500 per half inch or buy $80 colonies on divers den. This hobby will be as expensive as you make it. My suggestion for the people who don't have an unlimited disposable income is to shop around for bargains. Lots of times you can find low priced corals that will compare to any so called "high end" for a great price.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back