OP
blueworld

blueworld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I usually don't like fake decoration type things in a tank but that deck is freaking sweet, I would be waiting for the first time a hermit figures it out and snap a pic LOL

The most clean build I have ever seen. I like the decks being built on the exposed rock!

Super complicated little system but awesome. You should get some little fiddler crabs for the upper section :)

That's great! I'll bet some crabs would love that deck.

Actually the scale of the walkways is kind of deceiving, they are really quite small I don't think they will be able to hangout on them! but thats okay I was going more for a small scale world above water and a giant world under water!

DSCF5336.jpg
DSCF5337.jpg
DSCF5338.jpg
DSCF5339.jpg
DSCF5340.jpg

Loved reading this thread so far. This puts my DIY foam rock wall build I had to shame. Lol.

This rock wall is my 3rd variation on it haha, the first one I didn't like and i started to cut it apart and turn it into a better version, then I left it out to dry one night and managed to have a few to many and my foot figured that it wanted to occupy the same space as the rock work haha that lead me to the 3rd and in my mind the best remodel...yet haha

If you ever get into model railroading, there are some magazine people that will be contacting you.

Well done, amazing forethought and impeccable execution.

Ive been pouring over miniature railroading forums trying to find tropical styled foliage and greens to cover the rocks with so they have some colour other then the tan that they are now haha but I have always loved building miniatures and models so ill find my way out of that mess

what a **** awesome idea... i love the idea of the rock being out of the water! anyone tried it ? had any issues? :D

Ive seen a few tanks that have exposed rocks in them, they haven't had any problems with it. Some have used the space for fiddler crabs like in the Volcano Tank and others have just let the rock do its own thing like Jonny did with his tanks before he changed it all up, I've also seen the rock used to grow a few air plants like this gorgeous zero edge build

OP
OP
blueworld

blueworld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wavebox

This has got to be the most incredible nano build I have seen online in about 10 years!!! Great Job! Excuse me if you posted this already, but did you copy the dimensions of the Tunze wave box exactly? Did you use a bulk head and how did you get the pump to fit? Thanks

I didn't copy the dimensions of the wave box at all, there are many different ways to create a wave in a tank but the simplest way I've found is through displacement, which is how the tunze wave boxes do it. They isolate a volume of water from the rest of the water in the tank and then displace the isolated water with air by using a pump to move the water into the left side of the tank. Gravity then takes over trying to level out the now uneven distribution of water by pulling it to the right side of the tank. However at the point the pump shuts off allowing water to now flow back into the box displacing the air inside of the isolated chamber, once again causing an imbalance in the tank and forcing gravity to do its thing once again pulling the water back to the left side of the tank, just in time for the cycle to start over again. All of this is a futile exercise because when you time the cycle of the pump turning on an off and the duration for which it runs you can keep gravity from winning and you'll create a nice little wave!

Now with all of that being said, the actual dimensions of the wave box don't matter to much so long as you can isolate the correct volume of water needed to created the desired wave. I was fortunate enough to be able to use the original working Tunze wave box inside the tank before I created my own wave box, so I knew that so long as i didn't make the glass box on the back smaller in volume then the original box I wouldn't have a problem. I also put the outlet for the pump at the same height in the tank as it was on the Tunze wave box when it was operating in the tank beforehand.

Yes I used a double slip bulkhead with a standard piece of PVC inside - 1 1/2" bulk head with a 1 1/"2 piece of PVC inside. I just went to my local reef store and played around with the bulkheads and the prop from the pump until i found a close match haha nothing to scientific there just trial and error.

OP
OP
blueworld

blueworld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoutouts! - Thankyou!!

Lastly I wanted to say thank you to everyone else who posted comments of has subscribed to the build, the feel back and comments are inspiring and fantastic to read. lets face it we all have an ego and it likes to be stroked from time to time haha Ill keep the pictures coming and the updates rolling as much as i possibly can but don't let that keep you from posting or passing the thread around if you like it!!

Once again thank you to the dozens of others who posted with very kind words! They don't go unnoticed!!

OP
OP
blueworld

blueworld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Update!

Alright now! since were all caught up again its time to tell you what my next step is. Some of you are going to call me anal or OCD or just insane but I've gone and torn this tank apart...again. haha but don't fear I'm going to be putting it all back together again.

I tore it apart because for some reason the silicone i used to build the tank has turned yellow in spots, and its not just the aftermarket stuff i used on the overflow and wave box its also the original manufacturers silicone that has done it too, so i figured whatever lets clean it all up and lets upgrade it at the same time!! So I'm going to be using CRL "Water Clear" Silicone Sealant on both the Display tank and the Sump. Ive seen this stuff in action and let me tell you now that its hard to see where the seams are, you really have to look close to see the silicone!

DSCF5328.jpg
DSCF5329.jpg
DSCF5330.jpg
DSCF5300.jpg

OP
OP
blueworld

blueworld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the progress so far!

IMG_4674_zps9681d96d.jpg

as i started getting to back together i started to get a little anal haha there was a bubble and i wanted it gone so i spent 20 minutes slowly cutting down to it and making it a crater so i could fill it

IMG_4678_zps1ed5752b.jpg

IMG_4679_zps9201515b.jpg

and when all is said and done its not going to have a coner bead inside the tank because i made sure there was no gaps or bubbles in the bonding seam between the two pieces of glass

IMG_4680_zps037f984e.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4674.jpg
    IMG_4674.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_4679.jpg
    IMG_4679.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_4680.jpg
    IMG_4680.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 480

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely say you have a little of all three going on...lol Simply Amazing nano! Can't wait to see it back together

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you upload pics off the rock scape again. For some reason I can't see them. Thanks m this thing is freaking sweet

OP
OP
blueworld

blueworld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I'm sorry for the extended hiatus. Ive been gearing up for a move for the last few months and still working out of town. So Ive made it to my new place and I've unpacked the truck and set up the majority of everything and cracked a fresh bottle of jack and started pouring all the while listening to my tank yell at me to unpack it and get things going again. Unable to resist anymore I start to work on setting up my office and the tank, after about half hour of hunting to find all the desk parts, it finally starts to go together then the big moment as the tank gets unwrapped and placed on the desk. Everything is going fantastically so i headed back out to the kitchen to grab that glass of jack I hadn't even started yet, when I hear a bang and the distinctive sound of glass shattering...

See the way the extendable legs on this desk are set up, they require you to twist them on way to loosen them off so you can lengthen or shorten them but then need to be turned the opposite way to tighten them back up again. I think that after a long day of moving and unpacking i didn't quite tighten one of legs fully. The weight of the tank on the desk with the help of that cruel cold hearted beach known as gravity had conspired against me.

I sat there for a minute or two in shock and disbeliefe before a few big gulps finished my drink and allowed me just the perfect amount of time to go threw the normal grieving process, you know shouting a little at absolutely nothing, swearing that your just going to sell everything a get out of the hobby, thinking you can fix the problem because it's not that bad, and finally realizing that your too invested in the stupid thing to give up, and this time you'll build it better.

So thats all for story time today kids, but don't worry ill be back real soon to show you exactly what a new 13.3g Mr. Aqua Bowfront tank looks like!! (when i find one that is) but if you can't wait that long click on this link right here and see magically into the future :wink:

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came upon this old awesome thread. If you're still out there blueworld (Jamie), any updates on what you're up to?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back