JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights and hanging poll
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are running from right to left or east to west. Each light turns on 30 minutes after the next one starting with blues. Then the whites do the same thing 2 hours later. This process happens at the end of the light cycle in the same time increments first on will be the first to go off.

I'm now in the process of lifting the lights a couple inches higher to get better light spread.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay moved them up 1.5" light spread is better. Might go higher yet. Maybe another 1.5"
Lights are at 50%blues and 25% whites greens and reds.

image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I need to swap out the drivers in unit to a analog dimming driver like a meanwell 60 48D. The drivers in these units run PWM and can't be dimmed by my apex which sucks. I feel they would be very awesome dimming the channels together because the blues are very potent and if they are on by themselves it's like being in. A club with a tun of black lights.

Also taking pictures when blues are on suck. I will have to use something other than Ipad to take pictures lol

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice... and now that you're done messin' around with those cool new LED's let's see about getting some Corals in there..... I mean big Corals to cover up them there rocks of yours :boink: :peace: Give me a call tomorrow, found some info on PWM for you.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking up in the reef tonight. Corals are doing more now with the led light vs old setup.

Ordered my new reeflo pump and I'm going to re plumb sump as well and re configure it. Considering going with a xenia refugium and nolonger carbon dosing.
Looking at a new coral purchase but want to buy a big SPS have to look for a quality affordable one.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some photos with my android phone and they turned out pretty decent. Some not so great but way better than Ipad for sure under led lights
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got lights to 30 % white 35 % blues and raised another 1.5" seems to be just right. I plan to re build light holder with some 90* aluminum angle and have the lights set on them clean up all that stuff above the tank and reduce the overall height.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do to. I just made it so I could figure out were I wanted the lights. Spent $30 to build it like that out of wood.

I have high ceilings so it didn't matter.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update yeah!

Okay got the new reeflo pump and planning to change over sump design tomorrow. Pump is super dart / snapper hybrid gold. Going with the snapper at 2600gph to start and see how that does. My buddy Todd got me interested in running a Xenia refugium and going to give that a shot because the only thing growing in it at the moment is 6 red mangroves. I also have 50 pounds of rock and 40 pounds of a deep sand bed in the sump too. Just going to re organize everything. Will post photos tomorrow of the process and once everything is running I will get the Xenia Pom pom corals and secure to rocks in the middle of sand be in sump so they won't go anywhere.

On another note my lighting is now up to 35% whites and 40% blues. I noticed a nice reaction to the added light. I have seen an increas in corals from going led and now think the added light intensity will kick off even more growth. I have a mixed reef so have to keep everyone happy. But the LEDs are awesome.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my new wp40 in today. Very powerful it blows away my evo1400's I think I could go all day with some wp25's the 40 is large but not to large. It goes to 3600gph so the 25's would be perfect even on my tank. We will see maybe ill just go with one more 40. I also dropped another amp of power usage by switching from the two maxijet s on the back of the tank to one wp40.

New pump running in snapper mode is great and so quite. My whole system now uses 2.3amps/hour vs. old setup of 8.5amps/hour with mh and PC lights with mag drive pumps. So with new LEDs and me pump and more efficient circ pumps I'm saving money on the power bill.cshould see return on investment sooner than I thought. About six to eight months and my lights and pump will break even with savings then all bonus from there.

Back