JoeKooL KoolReef 210 remodeling into 428 display Custom DIY sump net BOOM!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a long over do update. Things are going well in my mixed reef.
Trying out some Red Sea products as I am a fan of there salt.
Ordered the colors test kit and colors A,B,C,& D formulas.
I also ordered reef energy A & B
Ordered through amazon and used my prime shipping which is great.

Will update with how the stuff works and my observations daily. I receive everything Saturday

As far as the tank stats go they are good I have noticed that my alk keeps dropping so I had to dose it today ill have to keep a better eye on it. My SPS weren't looking so happy the last two days but the zoa's are looking great. Oh well we all know mixed reefs are finicky and it is much easier keeping a type of coral dominated tank than a mixed.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got almost everything today.
I received redsea colors test kit, colors B, Energy A& B tomorrow I receive the colors A, C, and D.
Stats and results thus far.
4-21-14
Ca 450
Alk 3.88 dosed back to 4.45
Mg 1400
Temp77.9
Iodine .04
Fe 0.00
K 332ppm dosed per bottle added 200ml of B
Reef energy A & B added 30mil

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good with the reef colors A,B,C,D
Soon after bringing my tank to optimal levels I saw my red planet gain some color back. The red planet was not very red it was about pink in color. I also noticed that my SPS with blues colored up. Seems that it's working I think we should know by a weeks use.
I will post photos later today.
This is my current dosing schedule below. I was surprised that I'm using 5ppm of Ca a day and .175meg of alk a day. Which is a lot of dose for my size tank. Explained below

Todd what do you think with this.
4-23-14
Ca 440 using 5ppm a day
dose 235ml to bring to 450
117.5 ml a day

Alk 4.10meg .175 meg a day
Dose 161ml to bring to 4.45meg
Dose 80.5ml a day

Dose 2.25ml of coral colors A,B,C,D DAILY
Dose 10ml each reef energy daily A AND B

Colors says that I need to dose 1ml per 20ppm of call added per 25gallons keeping simple i have been dosing based on 230gallons and seems to be pretty close to total volume. So with a 90 gallon sump 3/4 full and a 210 display I must have 67.5 in sump 210 in display minus 47.5 gallons worth of rock and sand. I know that over the last six months I added 100lbs of dry rock.

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joe, the only thing that seems off is that you are needing to dose more for Calcium then Alk. I'll have to double check what I have my Doser set to but know its at least 2:1 Alk over Calcium.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I checked and uptake is correct. Wondering where all the Ca is going.
Have seen a positive response in all my zoa's from starting use of coral colors and reef energy. Also been getting some color back in my SPS corals.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors program is Definatly working. Mostly my SPS that had lost colors are coming back. I will post some picture tomorrow. And take some in a week to see the difference.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad things are going well for you. Todd is right though. Its odd that you are dosing more Ca than Alk. Usually it is around 2 to 1 to keep the balance. Where are the pics? ;)

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duane send me your camera so I can take some. I tried earlier and they just didnt turn out well. I will try again when all the white channels are on.

But trusT me the color is coming back. My green slimmer was basically white now the green is coming back to the body and the polyps are now showing green again. Red planet has gone from just pinkish to redish. Baby blue stag is getting darker especialy at growth tips.

Going to run tests again tomorrow to see what my levels are. Need to buy some dosing pumps to get the dosing spread out.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that the Berghia have been laying egg coils. Haven't sen them eat to many aptasia but have seen them eat a couple. Just waiting to wake up and see a patch gone. I only bought eight because they are rediculas to buy plus shipping. I would rather be buying coral. But I have to get rid of these darn things. I got it from buying a coral frag with one on it or it was in some live rock. Of course I only buy dry rock now.

Anyways they only have been in there sense Thursday

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much happening with the aptasia hoping my Berghia do something soon. Seems like the aptasia are all over now. Sure I mad it worse trying to kill them with X but just made them spread. If the darn Berghia weren't so expensive I would order more . I need like twenty more. :hurt:

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
slimer color coming back

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now selling yummy fish sauce. Brewed to perfection by my skimmer.lol
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

No I don't have my website set up so don't go there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to RAP and Picked up a sweet booster pump with transformer and shutoff pressure switch. I got it from aqua FX out of Orlando. Paid awesome price 88 bucks. I know you can install it a couple ways but I put it at the start of my 6 stage RO/DI UNIT and I had to dial it back. Running at 90psi with 3ppm tds pre DI and 0 post DI duh!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Aqua FX guy was very helpful and it's nice to find companies with in my state that I can support locally.

Also had a great talk with the Red Sea rep. Red Sea just came out with a refractor meter that is for seawater not brine water like most of them on the market. Knowing this now I realize that if you are not using one for sea water than you are going to be off by 1.5 ppt that's not cool. The one they sell is also calibrated at 77 degrees with ATC and not at 65 degrees with ATC like most units. Retail at stores only right now with map pricing for 69.95 not bad. Also the calibration fluid sold with most units is brine water as well. Check your unit and if it doesn't say seawater in the reticle than you have a brine unt. To me it is real important to have my salinity at the right level to get my parameters were I want them. The one I bought from BRS is not a seawater one. Bummer I will have to buy a Red Sea unit.

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice RAP pickup and info on the Refractometer Joe, thanks for sharing bud.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally close to set up fully. A few more tweaks to do.
image.jpg

Took all old sand from display and made a deep sand bed in sump
image.jpg
image.jpg

Photos of system from Ipad and blue lights on at moment. Hard to see my scape so far but what do you think.
image.jpg
image.jpg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 96 41.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back