Mandarin Goby Death Investigation

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently just lost my mandarian goby and I’m not 100% sure why. Didn’t see any signs of issues until earlier this afternoon (probably missed earlier signs), but I was too late to do anything. The video posted below is from 1:45 PM today and the time of death was around 4 PM. Any thoughts on what caused this? Very sad about this loss and would like to learn from it, so any help is appreciated.
IMG_7843.jpeg

IMG_7844.jpeg

IMG_5292.jpeg

IMG_5291.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please read and provide the information requested. Hard to diagnose post mortem

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video of the goby from earlier today.

Everyone here is going to want tank info. parameters? How old is the tank? Mandarins require very well established tanks with a good pod population to survive/thrive. Very sorry for the loss, they are truly beautiful fish. I want one myself, but I want my tank to be at least a year old first.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 50 gals about 8/9 months old. Copepods were dosed on a weekly basis.
Temp 79-80
Ph 8
Salinty 1.026
Ammonia undetectable with api
Nirate/nitrate undetectable with api
Phos .07-.17

All other fish in the tank are doing well. I have a UV sterilizer for the tank

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent additions to the tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Recently just lost my mandarian goby and I’m not 100% sure why. Didn’t see any signs of issues until earlier this afternoon (probably missed earlier signs), but I was too late to do anything. The video posted below is from 1:45 PM today and the time of death was around 4 PM. Any thoughts on what caused this? Very sad about this loss and would like to learn from it, so any help is appreciated.
IMG_7843.jpeg

IMG_7844.jpeg

IMG_5292.jpeg

IMG_5291.jpeg
This fish was obviously a victim of aggression and once dead, its near impossible to determine cause. Fish looks a little thin which may be an indicator or diet issue or lack of diet

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange. But the skunk shrimp gives us some info just alone… the way he was trying to clean whatever may have been on the mandarin…clearly we can’t see it but he can.
I believe your mandarin died of parasites… no doubt about it, skunk shrimp eat any kind of parasitic worm. Video shows clear evidence of a parasitic problem that lead to the mandarin death.
It was days too late even to save the mandarin.
Keep a close eye on all the other fish. Maybe even QT all fish and let the shrimp do the scavenging cleaning up the parasites off the murder scene…

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very strange. But the skunk shrimp gives us some info just alone… the way he was trying to clean whatever may have been on the mandarin…clearly we can’t see it but he can.
I believe your mandarin died of parasites… no doubt about it, skunk shrimp eat any kind of parasitic worm. Video shows clear evidence of a parasitic problem that lead to the mandarin death.
It was days too late even to save the mandarin.
Keep a close eye on all the other fish. Maybe even QT all fish and let the shrimp do the scavenging cleaning up the parasites off the murder scene…
Unfortunately - I think you are incorrect.... A shrimp even a (as human defined cleaner shrimp) could easily eat a dead fish over time. However I totally agree that the rest of the fish - depending on their quarantine status, etc. bear very very close monitoring.

I do not think one can say no doubt about it - parasites were an issue. Many of your comments relating to the days required to save other fish - I guess I won't criticize - but no clue scientifically, there they come from

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - the mandarin is very thin, it likely starved to death. The fin damage may have been post mortem.

OP
OP
dangit

dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One extra Point… this is a picture I added earlier but the red circle is a hole with a white ring on the goby’s body. There was also a white patch behind the fin.

Does that change any of the potentials?
IMG_5291.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One extra Point… this is a picture I added earlier but the red circle is a hole with a white ring on the goby’s body. There was also a white patch behind the fin.

Does that change any of the potentials?
IMG_5291.jpeg
Those could be signs of bacterial disease, but the underlying cause seems to be starvation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back