Micro dose of flucozanole

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a dose did you use? I think I’m seeming the same thing. I did about 1/4 capsule in 100 gallons
I did the same in a 225. How crazy is that.

I did the full recommended dose a few years ago. Literally sterilized my tank and gave a nice Dino outbreak.

I feel much better with the micro

karsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same in a 225. How crazy is that.

I did the full recommended dose a few years ago. Literally sterilized my tank and gave a nice Dino outbreak.

I feel much better with the micro
That’s exactly what happened to me. Killed the algae in my last tank then gave me dinos. I’ve been sitting on this for awhile out of fear of a repeat but the micro dose stories gave me hope.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what happened to me. Killed the algae in my last tank then gave me dinos. I’ve been sitting on this for awhile out of fear of a repeat but the micro dose stories gave me hope.
Haha same! I have read this thread quite a few times.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I am going to try this. I believe I will go with Reef Flux as it worked for the OP. I have about 100 gallon water volume. Should I do a half pill? That would be 1/20th of the dose? Too much?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone who micro dosed have any experience with it and chaeto? I have done some research online and the answers I am reading vary from chaeto will be fine, to it will kill it also.
I have been fighting bryopsis for a while and honestly I am worried about the nutrient spike from it dying, so I would prefer to keep any nutrient export method I have running if I can.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone who micro dosed have any experience with it and chaeto? I have done some research online and the answers I am reading vary from chaeto will be fine, to it will kill it also.
I have been fighting bryopsis for a while and honestly I am worried about the nutrient spike from it dying, so I would prefer to keep any nutrient export method I have running if I can.
I have dosed it with no issues.
If you are worried, my suggestion is to pull most of the cheato and leave some in. You can put the cheato in another vessel for a couple days and see how the small portion of cheato does. If it lives, throw it back in. If not, leave it out.

I think it will be fine tho.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5: 80% is gone.

What’s left is white and withering away.

I still have GHA tho. It’s nice being able to really see most of my rocks now

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @Dburr1014 cheato fine.
1 pills /55gallons was my maximum dose.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally did 2; 1/3 doses. GHA came back a little bit after a few months, and I have done 2 micro doses since.
I had some GHA grow on my drain line but just washed that away with tap water. But that's it. Display is clear, sump is clear. The last micro dose was months ago.
@Dburr1014 - Hey Dan - GHA has taken over my reef so I'm desperate enough now I'm going to try this. Just confirming that you used 1/3 the recommended dose from the ReefFlux bottle? So bigger than a micro dose that Charlie'sFrags was suggesting. How long after the first dose did you do the second dose?

I really hate to add chemicals but GHA has taken over and is killing my corals and BTA's are not looking good at all. I'm tired of trying to brush the rockscape inside the tank and manually pulling this stuff out. It's everywhere. Tank looks disgusting but fish are all fine.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014 - Hey Dan - GHA has taken over my reef so I'm desperate enough now I'm going to try this. Just confirming that you used 1/3 the recommended dose from the ReefFlux bottle? So bigger than a micro dose that Charlie'sFrags was suggesting. How long after the first dose did you do the second dose?

I really hate to add chemicals but GHA has taken over and is killing my corals and BTA's are not looking good at all. I'm tired of trying to brush the rockscape inside the tank and manually pulling this stuff out. It's everywhere. Tank looks disgusting but fish are all fine.
Hi, how are you?
Yes, let me find my thread.

Here:
Thread 'Fluconazole dose and why so much?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluconazole-dose-and-why-so-much.983825/

I did 1/3 dose. Waited a couple weeks and did a second 1/3 dose.

So to put this in context, my system is 100 gallons total water volume. As it reads for dose, that's 2000mg.
I did not feel comfortable with this.

Looking back, I think I could have only dosed the 1/3 only, maybe less. Charlie's frags said he did 1/4 dose.
Since the initial die off of GHA, I have had to do 2 micro doses. Reef flux gives you 2 spoons. I don't know the size of hand as I'm at work but one is tiny. Could be 1mg, I'll check. This is what I dosed, 2 times since. Worked the same but it was a lot less GHA.
The 2 micro doses I did not turn off the skimmer or the 1% AWC.
I did not remove cheato. Nothing died but the GHA.

One thing I would like to note is it takes about 21 days. I have heard that from others and that was also my experience.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the small spoon I used for micro dosing is 0.15cc the reef Flux is a powder.

20240501_161512.jpg

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The Reef Flux should be here tomorrow. But I thought it was capsuls. The Flux Rx by Blue Life has the spoons I thought. It may not matter though as I think both are fluconazole.

Also, thanks for the link to your thread. I'll read it now.

I've been fine but tank is having major problems right now as you can tell from my posts. Very frustrating after all these years. Never had hair algae before.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The Reef Flux should be here tomorrow. But I thought it was capsuls. The Flux Rx by Blue Life has the spoons I thought. It may not matter though as I think both are fluconazole.

I've been fine but tank is having major problems right now as you can tell from my posts. Very frustrating after all these years. Never had hair algae before.
Yes, I have blue life. They are pretty much the same product.

Good luck, let me know if you need anything.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How many gallons is your tank?

Never mind. I found it. 2 pills should be good for your 225g. Maybe even just 1 if it was bryopsis but the gha needs a little more believe it or not. Follow the instructions except use only 2 pills and then do another dose after the WC at 3 weeks if any gha survives.

Last edited:

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. From what I'm reading the bottle directions say 1 capsule for 10 gallons which translates to 22 capsules for 225 gallons. A 1/4 microdose would then be 5-6 capsules. So 2 capsules is really 1/10 dose. Just want to confirm that's the way to go. I know it takes time I'd just hate to wait 3 weeks and then find out it did nothing because I used too little.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. From what I'm reading the bottle directions say 1 capsule for 10 gallons which translates to 22 capsules for 225 gallons. A 1/4 microdose would then be 5-6 capsules. So 2 capsules is really 1/10 dose. Just want to confirm that's the way to go. I know it takes time I'd just hate to wait 3 weeks and then find out it did nothing because I used too little.
I'd be willing to bet it works.
But for first dose, I would do 3 or 4 pills.
Make sure to keep an eye on things when you dose and after stuff starts dying, about 2 weeks in. You may want to turn the skimmer on then, up to you, if nutrients start spiking.
You may have to do another dose down the road. I have, but much smaller dose.
I would also keep a bunch of water on hand, just incase.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back