OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The view through both sides of the aquarium--2 inches total. Good enough for water.

430413514_945538750628350_1672813654852451709_n.jpg

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I heard of a pro on R2R with a handle of "AKReefing" -- perhaps you can give him a call? ;) Anyway, it took 2 guys ~6 hours to buff my 8x3x2 tank. It would take me several weeks (if I'm lucky) with lots of blood, sweat, and tears!
Dude, that's my handle, and this is my thread. I'm not a pro.
You're not worried about scratching it later? On my new build, I'm going to go bare bottom just to make sure I won't pick up some sand; otherwise, it will be a very bad day!
Of course I am. I've had a large acrylic tank in the past. After seeing all of the scratches inside this tank, it was clear to me the previous owner didn't realize what she was doing by dragging sand up from the bottom during cleaning.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, slight delay in progress due to 13 straight 12-hour shifts. The OT helps, though. So as part of prep for the move I had to remove the bulkheads. They were glued to the plumbing below, so I had to cut them loose (see the picture). Glue or no glue, I would always recommend replacing bulkheads any time you remove the old ones. Cheap insurance. One of the replacement bulkheads ended up with a piece of stray plastic between the rubber seal and the bottom of the bulkhead. I discovered it during a leak test. The nut was destroyed during removal, and the rubber seal ended up with a small tear due to the plastic fragment. Fortunately, the bulkhead seller sent a free replacement. I'll install the new one today and recheck for leaks.

Attachments

• Bulkhead.jpg
    Bulkhead.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the plumbing. The return water is split into two streams. There was enough of the original red and blue PVC pipe for reuse, but I had to supplement with white Sch 40. Notice all of the unions. Cheap insurance when you need full access underneath. The original owner had gate valves and transitions to smaller diameters on the drain lines for some reason. I'd never consider restricting drains for any reason. Pardon the mess, but that purple PVC primer gets everywhere, espeecially when you don't care. It works.

Notice the unions are offset from each other. Offfsets allow easier access without pinching fingers between them.

The red and blue pipes are actually parallel in this pic. The optics makes them appear tilted.
Plumbing1.jpg
Plumbing2.jpg

Last edited:

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back