New Gigantea Journey

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some backstory first. I'm considering moving in the near future, so I've been downsizing my tanks. Sold nearly all my fish, took my 72 and 96 gallons offline, but kept my 180 running basically as an established, more or less zero maintenance tank. It had my Colorado Sunburst Anemones (currently 4 large ones) thriving in it, with their pair of orange skunk clowns using them as hosts, 7 chromis I couldn't catch when I sold all my other fish, and a pair of wild ocellaris clowns that hosted in a large waving hand anthelia colony.

But as we all know, this is less of a hobby than it is an addiction, so I took a few rides to the shops lately just to look around. First to get some berghia to tackle aptasia, which led to a copperband for the same reason, both have proved useless (or at least too slow for me). Then a pair of harlequin shrimp to tackle an asterina outbreak (also slow workers). Anyway, onto the main story.

I got to my favourite LFS on Sunday as he was unloading boxes. Decided to grab a midas blenny, because why not. A powder blue tang, because I'm a moron and they're my favourite fish. And then he took out two large anemones. One I knew was a haddoni, because I've kept them a number of times over the years. But the second was a gigantea, which I don't think I've actually come across for sale.

First issue for him, it was large. Probably 24" across if uncurled. It was a little bleached and neon. I knew it wasn't an ideal specimen, but again it was the first time I'd seen one so I was doing some brushing up on them from my phone in the store. I try to resist impulse purchases, but we all know how it goes. Aside from the novelty of it, the driving factor was that I hate my ocellaris clowns living in the anthelia. Clowns should have anemones. It's not a reef tank otherwise. That's always been my philosophy anyway.

When I first asked how much, he said he would probably sell it for $180-200. At that price I could resist. As I was paying up he offered it to me for $150 (he clearly didn't want to hold onto it for ages). My total was $180 (medium powder blue $80, female harlequin shrimp for my male $50, large midas blenny $50). So I figured I'd take a shot and see if he'd let it go for $120, rounding my total out to an even $300. Somewhat to my surprise he said yes.

As I was driving home I gave some thought to setting up a QT tank and trying to treat it, but it's been a long couple of weeks and I don't have cipro on hand or enough water to set up a QT tank quickly, so it would have been at least another half day in the bag before I could put it in a tank of it's own. So in my exhaustion I decided to move some stuff around the main tank and throw it in hoping for the best. Also the bag water was already cloudy even though he had put the gig in his display tank, so it had completely clean water two hours previously.

My first concern while driving home was how my CSB's would react. I know they're considered a "weaker" strain and I know some anemones don't mix well and mine didn't react well at all. They all deflated almost immediately. But I put my carbon reactor online with fresh ROX and by Monday morning they seemed normal. Fast forward to day 3 and my CSB's all ate, so hopefully I dodged a bullet there. Also very luckily the clowns went into the gig immediately. Like within a minute they forgot the anthelia existed and the anemone was their new home. So that was encouraging. It probably helped that I moved the anthelia rock and put the gig in it's place.

Here is a video from about an hour after it went into the tank:

It moved up and into the rocks a little more since then. I'll take some more pics or a video today and try to track it's progress on here. I'm curious to see how it colors up as I know this isn't really a natural hue. I tried to offer it food on Monday (day 2) and even though it grabbed it briefly, it clearly wasn't interested in eating yet. In fairness I tried a whole silverside, which was dumb in hindsight. So I'll wait a few more days and try something much smaller to start.

I've read some of the gigantea threads and appreciate everyone's knowledge and experience on here. Appreciate any tips or advice.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to avoid silverside. these are small fish frozen whole and very prone to been spoiled. I would feed it human seafood. Sushi grade food if possible. Avoid shrimp that may have phosphate added to it to enhance freshness.
If you feed silverside, I would against using it if it smells fishy.
Been an Asian, I eat a ton of seafood, and very use to fresh seafood. All I can tell you is that if a fish smell fishy, it is spoiled.
Spoiled seafood will sicken or kill your gigantea (always eat live sea food in the wild)

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

High flow, high light. Mine hasn’t moved since I introduced it.

Attachments

• IMG_5911.jpeg
    IMG_5911.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 74

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Gigantea! I've very jealous of your great find!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's looking pretty good! Just keep an eye on it, particularly if you see if expelling any dead zoox or it deflates, even once (unlike healthy BTAs, healthy gigs never deflate). Hopefully you have a QT tank and Cipro on hand just in case.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals.com has purple/green Gigantea (I think Gigantea) for sale.
I cannot tell for absolutely sure.

Went fast sold already

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's moved up in the rocks, still hasn't taken any food. But looking alright all things considered.

Day 11:

It’s looking quite good!

Also, I would avoid feeding it until it’s completely settled in, and maybe even a week or two past that point. It gets everything it needs from your lighting.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking quite good!

Also, I would avoid feeding it until it’s completely settled in, and maybe even a week or two past that point. It gets everything it needs from your lighting.

Even as bleached as it seems? That's my real concern, that aside from what little neon there is there isn't really any brown/base/body pigment to absorb the light.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even as bleached as it seems? That's my real concern, that aside from what little neon there is there isn't really any brown/base/body pigment to absorb the light.

As long as it’s not bleaching any further, it will be fine. Feeding doesn’t do anything to increase its Zoox algae population, only increase its size. It needs to find a spot it likes and minimize its stress so it can begin recovery and color up and get stickier.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TonysReef
Your Gigantea seem fine for a new anemone in your tank. Give him a few weeks and he will recover. He is light but not completely bleached and should recover very quickly given good condition.
Good luck with him.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I woke up to it today inside of the rock work and largely deflated. I just pulled it out of the tank and will try to set up a QT tank. Where does everyone get Cipro from? Everywhere says prescription only.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I woke up to it today inside of the rock work and largely deflated. I just pulled it out of the tank and will try to set up a QT tank. Where does everyone get Cipro from? Everywhere says prescription only.

Oh man, sorry to hear that, 11 days staying inflated seemed like a good sign.

Google “Fish Cipro” for non-scrip version. Chewy and a few other places should have it.

Good luck with treatment!

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 12:

First hidden in the rocks
IMG_6166.jpeg

Now in quarantine:
IMG_6168.jpeg

Fortunately I had ten gallons of water made. So I did a water change on the main tank and put the old water in a 20 gallon I had laying around with an old HOB filter. Threw in a piece of poly pad for now as media.

I'll start doing research on how best to QT and hopefully I can turn this poor guy around.

edit: just ordered aqua cipro from Chewy. So hopefully it's delivered quickly.

Last edited:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, sorry to hear that, 11 days staying inflated seemed like a good sign.

Google “Fish Cipro” for non-scrip version. Chewy and a few other places should have it.

Good luck with treatment!
It definitely was looking good. 11 days without deflation may seem good, but in my experience it can take up to 30 days to show signs of infection.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back