Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 12:

First hidden in the rocks
IMG_6166.jpeg

Now in quarantine:
IMG_6168.jpeg

Fortunately I had ten gallons of water made. So I did a water change on the main tank and put the old water in a 20 gallon I had laying around with an old HOB filter. Threw in a piece of poly pad for now as media.

I'll start doing research on how best to QT and hopefully I can turn this poor guy around.

edit: just ordered aqua cipro from Chewy. So hopefully it's delivered quickly.
It was good to pull it and place it in a QT tank. When gigs become "flat like a pancake" as I describe it, it's definitely a sign that it's in need of antibiotics. If you're not able to quickly get Cipro, you can try Chemiclean (which is actually Erythromycin) to hold you over until the Cipro arrives.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D-Nak : do you have any experience using other abx , such as amoxicillin or septra ? E.M. will also go in my anemone medicine cabinet

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D-Nak : do you have any experience using other abx , such as amoxicillin or septra ? E.M. will also go in my anemone medicine cabinet
I haven't tried Amoxicillin, but I've used Septra as a second line of defense after Cipro on multiple occasions. It never worked for me (though I've heard it worked for others). Septra seemed "too strong" meaning that it looked like it was doing more harm than good--the nems were extremely stressed--when I added it. However, it could've been that the nems were already dying and too far gone to be helped by Septra. Lastly, I've never used Septra instead of Cipro. Since Cipro was proven and I always have it on hand, I always use it first.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really bad this morning. Is it beyond saving at this point?

I have 20 gallons of water that I’m about to change out of the display to freshen up the water in here and cipro is out for delivery.

IMG_6176.jpeg

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see that type of expulsion of matter, I regretfully toss it. That's more than just zooxanthellae coming out.
Sorry it didn't respond better for you.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see that type of expulsion of matter, I regretfully toss it. That's more than just zooxanthellae coming out.
Sorry it didn't respond better for you.

Yeah, it looks like the stomach itself is starting to dissolve. I just figured I'd see what the experts had to say before I give up on it.

Either way, hopefully this thread will help others in the future to know that it's best to QT and treat in the beginning even if the gig seems healthy.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always continue to treat until it start to break apart which is not the case with your anemone. Add the antibiotic as soon as you have it. I use tank water for the treatment tank and new water to the DT.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep they're not gone until they're gone. But IME every anemone from Indonesia needs Cipro asap.

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it looked even worse this morning and the water had clouded up more and started to smell a little so I threw in the towel.

I appreciate everyone’s help and hopefully this thread will help save some gigs in the future. I now have cipro on hand in case I come across another.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back