OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are caught up to real time now. After a long fallow period, I dropped in my first fish in almost 70 days. I got a yellow watchman goby pal for my Tiger Pistol Shrimp. The shrimp is quite large, hopefully he does not eat it. The fish ate some pellets almost immediately, and then dashed under a rock on the other side of the tank from the Shrimp.
IMG_5583.jpg

Then I was clearing out a patch of macro algae that looked like it was not doing well. It appeared "burned" and had lost its green color. I put the cuttings in a small bucket to comb through them to make sure I did not inadvertently evict a snail or crab and I heard popping. Sounded like a pistol shrimp. I was confused, then I saw this guy. About 1 cm long. I have no idea how it got there. Posed for the photo op and then I put it back in the tank.
image0 (17).jpeg

Found a couple other hitchhikers I had never seen until today. A small feather duster, and some sort of bivalve.
image3 (8).jpeg

image5 (3).jpeg

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp and YWG paired up immediately. It is funny because the shrimp is soooo much bigger. I see if i can get some good pics.

I also added the Kingsguard Basselet (Pico) to the IM. Will get pics of him after he gets used to the tank and comes out of his cave more.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really happy to have fish again!

70 days was a long time staring at macro algae, corals and porcelain crabs.

I wanted to show the size disparity of the pistol shrimp (Tom Petty) and the YWG (Senior Pantalones Gruñones), and then Pico landed a photo bomb.

Had to take the picture from pretty far back, they all still run for cover when I get close to the tank.

IMG_5598.jpg

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We took a weeks vacation, and then home for two weeks, then another weeks vacation so I was a little concerned about the tanks. My sister came by the first time and dropped in some food. Auto pellet feeder on the second tank. Everyone faired well including the algae on the glass.

Neighbor kid pinch hit for the second week and everything is in good order. Pretty relieved and out of PTO, so shouldn't have to worry about tank sitters for the rest of the year.

Couple of shots after I got the algae all scraped of the glass. Tons of pods BTW.

image4 (6).jpeg

The Duncan's new head is growing nicely.

image5 (4).jpeg

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must sadly report that Pico jumped through the mesh lid and perished as a result.

I am really sorry Toadstool... I did my best, and he was happy until the last.

I am going to hang back for a minute before adding anything new. I need to deal with this flooring change, and I got a new skimmer that I will install in the next few days.

Just kind of bummed for now. The YWG, pistol shrimp and blue neon are all doing well.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must sadly report that Pico jumped through the mesh lid and perished as a result.

I am going to hang back for a minute before adding anything new. I need to deal with this flooring change, and I got a new skimmer that I will install in the next few days.

Just kind of bummed for now. The YWG, pistol shrimp and blue neon are all doing well.
I just had to have a goby. He made it a week before he made it through a 3/8 inch screen lid.

RIP Gobediah
PXL_20230523_030021910.jpg

Last edited:

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh no! I’m really sorry to hear about Pico :crying-face:
Please don’t beat yourself up, unfortunately these things can happen and fish find the smallest cracks to squeeze through. He seemed really happy, you did your best.

Don’t give up!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back