OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there have a kessil and a banana, grail, indo gold, 24k, knicks ?

Kessil are know for their accuracy in color reproduction, it’s a professional led manufacturer that branched into reef tanks. I highly doubt a kessil set to 100% blue would make yellow come out like this

Attachments

• 52DCEEE2-8050-4125-8E5C-DF1DD4AD8546.png
    52DCEEE2-8050-4125-8E5C-DF1DD4AD8546.png
    702.2 KB · Views: 19

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regardless Kessil do not have Yellow that strong that Sislimonpot points out.

SpectrumTuna Blue + Red + Green + Purple (Violet+Indigo)

SpectrumTuna Blue + Red + Green + Purple (Violet+Indigo)

Where is that yellow we see in that video.
Is it the freshwater kessil version?

The last thing to do is probably turn up all your whites.

Keep all your messages with the seller.
I don't know what else to say.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I need to keep my messages private. I have nothing to hide

No im saying save all your messages...
Technically you were not promised the product you were promised.
You can technically dispute it.

At the very least, your credit card company may refund you under buyers protection.
If you go though paypal, you will need documents, and work out a resolution from seller.
But you paid a lot of money for something that they promised yet you did not attain.

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone out there have a kessil and a banana, grail, indo gold, 24k, knicks ?

Kessil are know for their accuracy in color reproduction, it’s a professional led manufacturer that branched into reef tanks. I highly doubt a kessil set to 100% blue would make yellow come out like this
I have them all but my camera and photo ability sucks.

I want to say the first true orange torch I saw was at Rocky Mountain Frags, Jared had an amazing one. I wanted to buy a head from him. I want to say this was 2004ish, his was the most orange ive ever laid my eyes on. In 2010 Miguel at Pacific Aqua Farms called with a few and sent pictures. I got on a flight and went to see them in person and brought back a few. PAF had the best orange hammers, they were legit orange. Torches would vary in "orange" color and change over time.

The last true orange torch I saw was before into closed. Covid has changed everything, I loved flying down to LAX to hand pick corals. I know it's a luxury, years of being in the industry has taught me one thing. never trust a picture or video. Unless you see it in person, don't take anyones word for a color you don't see all the time.

I've been sent multiple pictures from vendors and when I show up they look nothing like the videos they sent. Most will have a white balance adjust set to the camera, you can distort the video colors pretty easily.

If it was truly an orange torch, that torch wouldn't be $400, I know it hurts but an orange torch doesn't show up. I want to say the orange wall hammers in 2010-13 were $500 retail, the torches were more. I want to say Jared wanted $500 for an orange torch 20 years ago and he had the only true purple torch ive ever seen.

They are out there, they are hard to find and now the wholesalers are tuned in and know what colors a coral could throw with proper care.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them all but my camera and photo ability sucks.

I want to say the first true orange torch I saw was at Rocky Mountain Frags, Jared had an amazing one. I wanted to buy a head from him. I want to say this was 2004ish, his was the most orange ive ever laid my eyes on. In 2010 Miguel at Pacific Aqua Farms called with a few and sent pictures. I got on a flight and went to see them in person and brought back a few. PAF had the best orange hammers, they were legit orange. Torches would vary in "orange" color and change over time.

The last true orange torch I saw was before into closed. Covid has changed everything, I loved flying down to LAX to hand pick corals. I know it's a luxury, years of being in the industry has taught me one thing. never trust a picture or video. Unless you see it in person, don't take anyones word for a color you don't see all the time.

I've been sent multiple pictures from vendors and when I show up they look nothing like the videos they sent. Most will have a white balance adjust set to the camera, you can distort the video colors pretty easily.

If it was truly an orange torch, that torch wouldn't be $400, I know it hurts but an orange torch doesn't show up. I want to say the orange wall hammers in 2010-13 were $500 retail, the torches were more. I want to say Jared wanted $500 for an orange torch 20 years ago and he had the only true purple torch ive ever seen.

They are out there, they are hard to find and now the wholesalers are tuned in and know what colors a coral could throw with proper care.

Thank you for your input, it was around 2006 that I heard of some people getting orange torch and it was expensive and rare but existed. There was a lot of photoshopping pictures and fakes. And people claiming they exist and don’t exist.

I know there are a few legit ones out there and while I was skeptical on this one, the seller is a gold sponsor with little to no negative feedback, and through communication I was clear - I was asking for an orange torch, and they were clear they have one for sale and it is orange and not yellow.

FYI the seller offered me a 25% refund on a coral that is 100% wrong and told me they are willing to “take a loss”

Well, I’m sorry you tried to deceive me and failed and now I’m upset. But I would still be out 300$ for a coral I never would have bought in the first place, and this isn’t worth $300. They are trying to play the victim card and act like they are doing me a favor with this offer

I didn’t accept or even get a chance to negotiate the offer and they mailed me a few minutes later saying they are processing the 100$ refund and will take the loss. So they agreed to the offer for me?

I was lied to. But I’m not stupid. Paypal was a payment option, and I used it. My PayPal claim for item not as described is open and I will let a third party look at the listing photos, video, photos of what was delivered, and photos of our dm conversation on R2R and let a third party make a decision.

Last edited:

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that this is a legit reason to have the seller’s account reviewed and perhaps revoked on this site. Of course we’re hearing/ seeing one side of the story which possibly isn’t the full picture. Or maybe it is. Perhaps revhtree should be included on this thread.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Malaysian torches have been coming in with some crazy solid colors.
Agree. The amazing supply for the hobby is a thing to celebrate.
All colors exist, just don't expect them to be as vibrant in person.
I don’t think I have seen a baby blue Torch, or a magenta Torch but they do have many varieties and color schemes in the wild, and with blue(black -uv) light sources these colors are apparent, and enhanced with orange filters.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this video from their you tube page. Look specifically at the light reflection off the bottom of the tank?

It seems yellow to me. Any kessil users? Can you validate this to be possible with kessils?

The only thing that makes any logical sense to me about that yellow is… they used a yellow lens on the camera which turned the 100% blue light yellow “should be green” and they deny that or they used a different light than a kessel. Again a lie lol.. what’s left? Photoshop…..

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take it up with the vendor. The lesson is, buy from trusted sources and read the feedback section for reviews from honest everyday people.
I would suggest that another lesson could help: buy these things in person instead of relying upon someone else’s opinion of the color. ( I don’t see orange either, sorry.)

Reminds me of the “What color is this dress” controversy that blew up social media with people arguing about “What they saw” in a picture. If you see it in person and make certain that they put the same coral in the bag then all you need to do is adjust your lighting at home to see the color you purchased.

I am disappointed that the torch is not orange.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of the color interpretation one can compare side by side images of the video and the actual coral and see this is clearly not the same. Name the color whatever you want, it’s not the same color as the video

I am disappointed also but I will say the seller packed everything excellent, nice large box styrofoam lined box, insulating blanket like material, double bagged, heat packs, packing material so the bags stay in place. And in the coral bag they added a handful of carbon rocks. I thought it was dropped tips at first but the seller explained it’s carbon to help corals be less stressed during shipping. I guess the carbon absorbs things the coral can release when stressed. Never seen that before but I thought it was a nice touch and makes sense

9C33DD76-BDD4-410A-BABC-D0C9B66862C5.jpeg F7CAAAF6-3B2A-4DE5-8559-3F0AC320EF4F.jpeg 8B5732A3-C86D-43E5-9DC0-4ECBF84516D3.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two martinis from the same shaker but one is directly under the table light.
IMG_2587.jpeg

The lemon in the dark drink is an orange? :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :thinking-face::cool:

Good for you @VintageReefer for posting the results and for being able to report the positive sides of the situation (good packaging) and not attacking the seller relentlessly, just pointing out the obvious.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two martinis from the same shaker but one is directly under the table light.
IMG_2587.jpeg

The lemon in the dark drink is an orange? :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :thinking-face::cool:

Good for you @VintageReefer for posting the results and for being able to report the positive sides of the situation (good packaging) and not attacking the seller relentlessly, just pointing out the obvious.
I like your choice of props to demonstrate your point. :dizzy-face:

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give credit where credit is due!

Attachments

• 8D885708-CC1C-4642-808E-8F5D15FF6165.jpeg
    8D885708-CC1C-4642-808E-8F5D15FF6165.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 3219326D-566B-4EC3-91BF-1A3C30403A8D.jpeg
    3219326D-566B-4EC3-91BF-1A3C30403A8D.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 14

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of the color interpretation one can compare side by side images of the video and the actual coral and see this is clearly not the same. Name the color whatever you want, it’s not the same color as the video

I am disappointed also but I will say the seller packed everything excellent, nice large box styrofoam lined box, insulating blanket like material, double bagged, heat packs, packing material so the bags stay in place. And in the coral bag they added a handful of carbon rocks. I thought it was dropped tips at first but the seller explained it’s carbon to help corals be less stressed during shipping. I guess the carbon absorbs things the coral can release when stressed. Never seen that before but I thought it was a nice touch and makes sense

9C33DD76-BDD4-410A-BABC-D0C9B66862C5.jpeg F7CAAAF6-3B2A-4DE5-8559-3F0AC320EF4F.jpeg 8B5732A3-C86D-43E5-9DC0-4ECBF84516D3.png
Man! I was actually hoping they’d give you a legitimate orange torch. Lol… straight rooting. But oh well, I wouldn’t even complain that packing was darn excellent but so is the torch! Beautiful color! Definitely a show piece in the front of the display *Fire!*

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

its the color i thought it would be but hey thats a very nice torch! nice grab! u got a good price on it also.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the color i thought it would be but hey thats a very nice torch! nice grab! u got a good price on it also.

I wouldn’t have spent 400 on this. After being in this hobby 20+ years I have excellent suppliers and I can get

Banana grail 240/head. Two head 450
Sun god 180/head

Here is a banana - my sellers provided photo - I get these for 80-90. This one I paid 80. And when I got it, it looks exactly like my sellers photo!
2A3797E0-B20D-44C1-91A3-D0518DBC4BFB.jpeg B44F5D43-A308-4ABC-AFE9-71C51F9C4DF1.png

Point is, I paid a lot of money for something I didn’t want or need, and, for me, I drastically overpaid. If a grail came I could live with it at that price. But I got an indo gold which I can get for 75-80 a head, and 2 head like this I can get any day of the week for 150…and I don’t buy them anymore for 75 or 150 because I already have 3 and one of them is 4 heads

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back