Orange torch - what do you think?

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn’t have spent 400 on this. After being in this hobby 20+ years I have excellent suppliers and I can get

Banana grail 240/head. Two head 450
Sun god 180/head

Here is a banana - my sellers provided photo - I get these for 80-90. This one I paid 80. And when I got it, it looks exactly like my sellers photo!
2A3797E0-B20D-44C1-91A3-D0518DBC4BFB.jpeg B44F5D43-A308-4ABC-AFE9-71C51F9C4DF1.png

Point is, I paid a lot of money for something I didn’t want or need, and, for me, I drastically overpaid. If a grail came I could live with it at that price. But I got an indo gold which I can get for 75-80 a head, and 2 head like this I can get any day of the week for 150…and I don’t buy them anymore for 75 or 150 because I already have 3 and one of them is 4 heads
dang i didnt know you could get that cheap. that sucks sorry to hear that man.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang i didnt know you could get that cheap. that sucks sorry to hear that man.
Working with seller. Seeing if we can come to an agreeable resolution.

I did get a free “orange hammer”

Seller provided photo
A389B0B9-3895-41F6-A538-5B715CEB32F6.jpeg

It’s not orange. Its small, but I do like it

Actual “orange hammer”
2F3BD3FD-B755-493B-B2D0-85465710E9D1.jpeg 6455EECE-2D8A-4AA0-855B-0AF0AFC4D4BC.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's pretty, but agree it looks very different than the photo posted.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t have spent 400 on this. After being in this hobby 20+ years I have excellent suppliers and I can get

Sun god 180/head

Here is a banana - my sellers provided photo - I get these for 80-90. This one I paid 80. And when I got it, it looks exactly like my sellers photo!
2A3797E0-B20D-44C1-91A3-D0518DBC4BFB.jpeg B44F5D43-A308-4ABC-AFE9-71C51F9C4DF1.png

Point is, I paid a lot of money for something I didn’t want or need, and, for me, I drastically overpaid. If a grail came I could live with it at that price. But I got an indo gold which I can get for 75-80 a head, and 2 head like this I can get any day of the week for 150…and I don’t buy them anymore for 75 or 150 because I already have 3 and one of them is 4 heads
No harm no foul I would keep the proof of ID with the purchase, grow it out and make a profit.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why anyone is impressed with the packaging. Literally that’s just standard packaging for corals going overnight…..

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why anyone is impressed with the packaging. Literally that’s just standard packaging for corals going overnight…..
while it should be.... its not. Ive received far less packaging than that from some of the R2R sponsors here....Some vendors will literally just throw the bag in a styro box with a single piece of bunched up paper and a heat pack.... like during one of their recent live sales. just saying.....

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while it should be.... its not. Ive received far less packaging than that from some of the R2R sponsors here....Some vendors will literally just throw the bag in a styro box with a single piece of bunched up paper and a heat pack.... like during one of their recent live sales. just saying.....
That’s inexcusable. Perhaps I’ve been spoiled then. I deal with 3 shops, one of which is on the other side of the country, and all 3 use a cooler, foil wrap, double bags, newspaper and a heat pack in the colder months.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)I wouldn’t have spent 400 on this. After being in this hobby 20+ years I have excellent suppliers and I can get

Sun god 180/head

Please provide us with coral vendor recommendations :) I have not seen any pricing like that from the big online vendors. Hoping prices come down but that does not seem to be the trend!

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps im misreading this, are you saying to recoup losses by propagating it and selling them as orange?
Well.. yes and no… they did list it as is… as long as you have proof… you can. Now I’m not saying, go ahead and name it orange and lie about it… but definitely having proof of purchase of a coral description (sold) orange)…or even a receipt of purchase and a picture of the listing you could very well idk… still make a gain off of it if buyers are interested in giving it a try with luck… who knows… lol (spray paint it orange then sell it) Jk…

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. yes and no… they did list it as is… as long as you have proof… you can. Now I’m not saying, go ahead and name it orange and lie about it… but definitely having proof of purchase of a coral description (sold) orange)…or even a receipt of purchase and a picture of the listing you could very well idk… still make a gain off of it if buyers are interested in giving it a try with luck… who knows… lol (spray paint it orange then sell it) Jk…
Don’t ever do that! Then this thread starts all over as you dupe the next guy! Not to mention you ruin your reputation…. Def not cool!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t ever do that! Then this thread starts all over as you dupe the next guy! Not to mention you ruin your reputation…. Def not cool!
I tend to agree, @VintageReefer went out of his way to express skepticism and yet thw seller reassured him, then provided ample evidence that the person selling it (at best) has problems discerning orange from yellow.

Just because the seller is passing yellow coral as orange doesn't make it right for a person knowing it's not in fact orange to use, "well, I bought it as orange" as an excuse to fool the next person.

To me, that seems worse than the original transaction. And I'm not convinced that the seller is innocent in any of this.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have received shipments from members on this forum with no heat pack and the coral didn’t make it a day

I have bought from vendors they use extremely tiny boxes, like 4” cubes, with heat pack and toasted corals.

This box was oversized and packed well. Yes it’s how everyone should do it, but some don’t. And I’m pointing out this seller did do a good job

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide us with coral vendor recommendations :) I have not seen any pricing like that from the big online vendors. Hoping prices come down but that does not seem to be the trend!

I don’t get those prices from the big vendors. I buy from a major vendors supplier directly

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree, @VintageReefer went out of his way to express skepticism and yet thw seller reassured him, then provided ample evidence that the person selling it (at best) has problems discerning orange from yellow.

Just because the seller is passing yellow coral as orange doesn't make it right for a person knowing it's not in fact orange to use, "well, I bought it as orange" as an excuse to fool the next person.

To me, that seems worse than the original transaction. And I'm not convinced that the seller is innocent in any of this.

Forgot about the interpretation of color name. I expressed some skepticism and they reassured me and told me they have a high end 4k underwater camera that exactly replicates in person viewing. They said they would take a video for me and they did and put it on YouTube.

They sent me the video. Call the coral in the video orange, blue, green, periwinkle. Whatever. It doesn’t matter. They gave me the video and I asked if it looks exactly like this in person and was told yes

I told them if it looks like the video I will be thrilled. Numerous times they told me it’s not yellow, it’s orange. Then the coral arrived and it does not look like the video at all. This isn’t a trace of the colors from the video. It’s not a stress/pale reaction. I received a perfectly healthy indo 24k, just like two others I have in this same tank.

Regardless of the color name, anyone can look at the video and the coral and see it’s not a match for color and the video / camera has some kind of processing / filter effect in place. I don’t know enough about it filming to know what it is….white balance, exposure, who knows. But something is going on

Additionally I own a orange lens and constantly take pictures of multiple tanks corals and I know that with blue lighting and a orange lens, I get 95-100% accurate color representation. If anything, something is slightly more vibrant or bright. But not the wrong color

I asked the seller for video from a phone with a orange filter and they gave me one. And in it the coral was yellow/gold. And they accompanied the video when a message saying this is not how it looks in person and it’s orange and they don’t use the lens anymore because it doesn’t capture their coral in real life accurately.

Well the lens test I requested exposed the scam and shows the coral as yellow, and they reassured me that the results were false. I took their word and guess what. The lens video was accurate after all
Here it is

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a beautiful Orange Torch at the Reefstock Denver show. It was out of my price range but one of a very few torches at the show that were worth paying for. Someone did grab it and I hope they have great luck with it. It was the first true orange Torch I have ever seen. Had I not seen it in person, I would've Chalked it up to edited photo.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video requested was provided and seller established credibility with volume of sales
082ABFB1-A53B-4256-BDE4-327C49ED661D.png

Video provided on YouTube
886877DC-9EE6-4C74-BC15-D25962FFB815.png

I told them this looks like a gold banana (non grail, just a gold / yellow torch )

0E1FFA89-CA13-4F5A-BBC6-5A1C115A46EB.png

Seller states it really is orange and this is why they don’t use the lens

DB172AF1-AE3A-492C-B206-8E43A119467C.jpeg

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a beautiful Orange Torch at the Reefstock Denver show. It was out of my price range but one of a very few torches at the show that were worth paying for. Someone did grab it and I hope they have great luck with it. It was the first true orange Torch I have ever seen. Had I not seen it in person, I would've Chalked it up to edited photo.

Who was the vendor and what was the price :)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was stationed in Wyoming circa 2004 there was a LFS in Fort Collins CO, that had an orengish-red torch for sale. Since then I've never seen another.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back