Paying it forward. What a great thing to do!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were the issues with the larger pieces?
They got smashed into pieces in there bags. We need a way for them to stay intact in there packaging no mater what way the box turns or get knocked around. Mostly SPS that branch out are issues. The frags that are in stick form or not branched out into a small colony arrived fine and should be easier to ship the issue we are having with breakage is those with growth in multiple directions.

tdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think it may be better to have a pif with smaller frags of things instead of mini colonies or even colonies itself. I mean the whole concept is to get peoples hands wet and to get them started with the coral life itself. Idk about everyone else but I would much rather grow out things myself than to go buy a colony of something. And with this pif I myself would be more inclined to send like 3 or 4 polyps of something rather than a mini colony. Of course I don't have just the basic things to send out either, so I would much rather someone to lose 4 polyps of say rasta zoas instead of a rock of about 15.... Not saying that it would happen, but just that it could.

tdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the shipping would be easier on the wallet too. Smaller frags, flat rate box from USPS, it could go really well of we figure out packaging and time of travel for the package.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They got smashed into pieces in there bags. We need a way for them to stay intact in there packaging no mater what way the box turns or get knocked around. Mostly SPS that branch out are issues. The frags that are in stick form or not branched out into a small colony arrived fine and should be easier to ship the issue we are having with breakage is those with growth in multiple directions.

Maybe try gluing the base to the bottom of the bag?

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think it may be better to have a pif with smaller frags of things instead of mini colonies or even colonies itself. I mean the whole concept is to get peoples hands wet and to get them started with the coral life itself. Idk about everyone else but I would much rather grow out things myself than to go buy a colony of something. And with this pif I myself would be more inclined to send like 3 or 4 polyps of something rather than a mini colony. Of course I don't have just the basic things to send out either, so I would much rather someone to lose 4 polyps of say rasta zoas instead of a rock of about 15.... Not saying that it would happen, but just that it could.

I agree for people starting out this would be good. Any kind of giving is great. The amount and or quantity is solely up to the person donating. Some may chose to frag there colonies then grow out the frags into small or miny colonies and send them to more advanced reefers or people that have stable tanks runnig for awhile or large tanks that are looking empty etc etc..

Some people have the ability to send out bigger pieces etc but PIF IS PIF even if you feel a few polyps is what you feel comfortable giving that would be fantastic. The shipping for such would defiantly be easier on the wallet especially for those more budget impacted with our not so inexpensive hobby.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try gluing the base to the bottom of the bag?

That's an idea but in my case the bags crushed into each other. The bags only had water in them and they were not filled as to provide a lot of pressure resistance to the outside of the bags. We were trying it out and trying to save on some shipping rate.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an idea but in my case the bags crushed into each other. The bags only had water in them and they were not filled as to provide a lot of pressure resistance to the outside of the bags. We were trying it out and trying to save on some shipping rate.

All the colonies I have received were in oversized boxes with lots of packing peanuts. I support trying to find the cheapest way possible to ship, but with large pieces this may not be possible.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this could be super fun and great!! I'm in to participate as well! Y'all like aiptasia? Hehe

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about adding a rule about having a certain amount of posts and input on the forum?

I think it would help with people coming on a taking advantage of this? Just a though :p

On a side note, I'm trimming up my tyree tricolor and vivids sunset Milli!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree for people starting out this would be good. Any kind of giving is great. The amount and or quantity is solely up to the person donating. Some may chose to frag there colonies then grow out the frags into small or miny colonies and send them to more advanced reefers or people that have stable tanks runnig for awhile or large tanks that are looking empty etc etc..

Some people have the ability to send out bigger pieces etc but PIF IS PIF even if you feel a few polyps is what you feel comfortable giving that would be fantastic. The shipping for such would defiantly be easier on the wallet especially for those more budget impacted with our not so inexpensive hobby.
+1 I agree

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about adding a rule about having a certain amount of posts and input on the forum?

I think it would help with people coming on a taking advantage of this? Just a though :p

Not only do I second that but I feel they should have an active member tank thread. We need to get a feel for the home these PIF offerings are going to. Honestly, if some one is new and doesn't abide by the basics, has massive HA etc then do you want to send them corals that are not going to fare well?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about selling frags of pif corals? Say John Doe gets a box and in 4 months frags them and puts them up for sale. Is there going to be a specified amount of time he has to wait?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do, I do! However I can't :cry: I'll be moving my 125 into a 180 in a few weeks. It won't be stable

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about selling frags of pif corals? Say John Doe gets a box and in 4 months frags them and puts them up for sale. Is there going to be a specified amount of time he has to wait?

I'm thinking there will be a few who will not have good conscience to PIF . I don't think they should sell them at all. Selling is not what this is about. If they do, they're out of the loop.

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking there will be a few who will not have good conscience to PIF . I don't think they should sell them at all. Selling is not what this is about. If they do, they're out of the loop.

+1 for sure. This is a pay it forward chain. Selling a frag that has been shared with you would be a break of that chain, and the trust of the people that are sharing.

Back