Paying it forward. What a great thing to do!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the intent of paying it forward is a great idea, this is something that is not going to be endorsed by R2R or any staff members. There are too many what if scenarios that can have a negative outcome. It can lead to many bad feelings all around and it is best for R2R and its staff to stay out of it. This way the staff can focus on other things.

If the anyone wants to continue with the pay it forward of shipping corals to other members, that will be permitted. The rules will have to be discussed and enforced among yourselves. It is recommended that the members that wish to be involved do so with caution. It should also be noted that R2R will not be offering any recourse if it starts to go downhill.

If it is decided to go forward by the members, these are some guidelines that need to be followed or understood:
  • First and foremost, R2R is not responsible if anything goes wrong.
  • Members with ties to vendors, commercial connections, or wholesalers are not permitted to participate.
  • The pay it forward of corals must be open to all members. Staff members may choose to participate, but in doing so they are participating as a member. They are not going to be held responsible if things go wrong.
  • Understand that in doing this there is a real possibility for members to get burned.
We really don't want to be negative about this, since it is a great concept. We just need to be realistic about the expectations and the role R2R will play in it.

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joekool

As I stated before, I love this thread and agree with everything you said. I don't have any frags yet, but hopefully I will soon as I only have a 28G nano currently and my corals already seem to be taking off. I hope everyone will keep me in the loop as I like the idea of paying it forward and think it is a great way to control costs, help people out, and get some diversity in a tank. For instance, My softies or Acans may take off and I can frag them, while someone else may have some Zoa's that take off they can frag. I can provide some softies or Acan's for someone who doesn't have them, so forth, and so on.

The one thing I would wonder about, is when I am ready to frag some of my corals, will there be people that can help figure out the correct way to do it so both the original coral and frag survive to pay it forward?

Thanks

Adam

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
abirozy Glad to here you want to be a part of PIF. Look back here often as we will keep this going. We will help you along with your fraging and healing of your corals. We don't want to start cutting up corals unless they are of good size, colony size and healthy enough to be fragged. I think that most of us would rather receive a nice small colony than a 1'' stick or one or two polyps. I would rather receive one coral of size than multiple corals small in size. especially with the costs of shipping. take your time we want to make sure your corals do well so no rush to frag them but when time is ready many of us will help you make the right choice.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slate...... have you figured out a good way to package them? I would be interested but didn't have a lot of luck with my shipment from Todd We think Fedex was playing soccer with the box. we are looking for a better way to ship so that the corals arrive unharmed

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slate...... have you figured out a good way to package them? I would be interested but didn't have a lot of luck with my shipment from Todd We think Fedex was playing soccer with the box. we are looking for a better way to ship so that the corals arrive unharmed

OK, I have NO experience with shipping corals, but here is an idea to throw out.....

1) Put corals in a bag with water and O2, then put that bag in a slightly larger, more heavy duty bag filled with water, then put that bag in the box filled with styrofoam peanuts... perhaps even smaller styrofoam beans (like the type in stuffed animals.

2) Has anyone thought of asking some place like cherry corals how they do it? I figure, someone who does this a LOT and for a living should be able to give good advice and they seem like they are friends.

3) also, for shipping, doesn't USPS or the other carriers have a fixed price for a specific size box? Kind of like a "if it fits in here, it ships at this price... I think that type isn't too expensive.

Hope these suggestions don't sound too dumb.. :D

Last edited:

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there as well:

1) Since it seems like figuring out shipping is a topic on here, I would be willing to pay for the shipping on a couple of trials (within reason of course)... AND NOT EVEN TO ME.
2) The way I figure it is that we are trying to help people out here. And if me paying a few times for someone to ship some corals to another person will help get this thread active and people paying it forward, I am ALL FOR IT.
3) After all, once the shipping gets nailed down... then this idea can really take off...
4) Of course, I may have got this all wrong and shipping was not an issue in which case, please just ignore my ramblings. :D

Adam
Adam...

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if anyone has thought of this so I'm going to mention it for those who don't know. If you live in the same state tgat you're shipping to FedEx is about $20. Not bad. So if I ship a box from north central florida to miami it's pretty cheap. This is a good thing for larger states like CA and Texas too

Jackie

abirozy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is another off the wall idea if people want to consider it...:

1) I think the shipping company's give a discount if people either pre pay, or have a shipping account, etc...
2) If we think this thread will take off, maybe we should consider setting up an account with one of the company's...
3) Anyone who want to take part in receiving corals, could pay into that account ahead of time.
4) That might be a win-win... we get service associated with a larger account and the person who is receiving the corals gets a cheaper rate for the shipping.
5) If it really takes off, we might even be able to set it up so that the account could be paid into with pay pal or something...
6) Of course the account would ONLY be used to pay shipping costs, etc... not to profit.

Just a thought

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey joe, wanna ship something up to new port richey! LOL!

tdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you guys have a vacuum sealer? I've sent zoas in little baggies with maybe 3 oz of water and vac sealed in a small shipping container and it works pretty well. Of course zoas are hardier than like sps, but it would be an option, smaller package, less air, lighter to ship = less money spent on shipping!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good idea but, correct me if I'm wrong, the less water surrounding the frag the less time it can spend in shipping. Seamus what do you think?

Jackie

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received everything from zoa, acan, favia, acropora in these vacuum sealed pouches and they have always been the healthiest frags I have ever gotten.

If I had the machine to do it with I would definitely ship this way

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't lose their oxygenation and such? That's good news! I read somewhere a while back when i was considering selling some palys and zoas that it shouldn't be done. I think it was the 'other' forum lol.

Jackie

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues with that packing method. Regardless of how much water you put in there its going to lose oxygen and carbon dioxide is going too rise. I have probably received 8 different boxes packed with these pouches and each one was some of the most healthy corals I have ever received. If you were ordering a 75 polyp colony this probably wouldn't work well. But for a 10 polyp frag it seems to be very effective.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know :) I knew I should've picked up the vacuum sealer at The Habitat store a couple of weeks ago (kicking myself) It was on $8.00 with hundreds of small bags.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back