Paying it forward. What a great thing to do!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol they sure do! Mine spanned a densely packed 16"x12" area. Was my husband and daughter's favorite in the tank. I'm thinking of setting up a corner 45g that someone gave us as a qt/frag tank after I get the 180 up and running. I haven't done it yet due to electric bill concerns since it has a 250w mh for lighting. But this would be great to put "pay it forward" corals in as well :)

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way on this pay it forward subject :)

I have a 75 gallon, donated from a friend to the Leon Reef Club, Im a AP chemistry teacher at a high school and I do a coral conservation, propagation, ocean acidification etc unit with the kids and I am starting an official club for reef tanks here in tallahassee. I am currently trying to light a 75 gallon for LPS, mainly acan, softies, scoly, those type of colorful lush meaty corals. If anyone has ANYTHING to donated in terms of lighting it would be super appreciated. I am providing the plumbing, pumps, sump etc....got a 40 breeder on craigslist the other day for only 40 bucks. Im getting there but lighting is my main problem atm. Id like to get it up and running before the school year...THANKS!

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie I have a mixed reef. Although i really like SPS I gladly accept anything I don't currently have. no clove polyps.

I have to talk to TJ to see if he can hook us up with some shipping labels to get this going. The shipping was way cheaper than retail.

I was thinking of setting up a UPS account or such so we could all get deals on shipping. I would email the labels out and the only thing you would have to do is paypal me the shippng cost etc. maybe this would make it more affordable for all.

Iamonlyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralFrenzy these too
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403396257.384892.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403396266.125721.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403396273.976922.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403396281.901703.jpg

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea...
On my local forum (WAMAS) we have a separate thread for this ...
It's called SWAP Share the Wealth And Propagate....
Whomever has frags .. Basically donating..and the person receiving promises to never sell the coral for $ and if possible add frags back into the program...
If we are all okay with paying our own next day shipping, and the person with the frags is willing to ship...this would definently help get some of the corals out there in everyone's tank...and if you can keep something alive and even better, have it grow...pay it back into the program...
Ours works well, for the fact we are all fairly local, or atleast can put stuff up before our quarterly meetings...

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea...
On my local forum (WAMAS) we have a separate thread for this ...
It's called SWAP Share the Wealth And Propagate....
Whomever has frags .. Basically donating..and the person receiving promises to never sell the coral for $ and if possible add frags back into the program...
If we are all okay with paying our own next day shipping, and the person with the frags is willing to ship...this would definently help get some of the corals out there in everyone's tank...and if you can keep something alive and even better, have it grow...pay it back into the program...
Ours works well, for the fact we are all fairly local, or atleast can put stuff up before our quarterly meetings...

Great reply small triggers. This is why I started the thread. We need to inact just what you said.

Iamonlyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can all post a picture of what we are donating and to who we are sending that way we can track it And the people receiving can post the picture of their boxes they receive I think That would be good :) just make sure we wait until all items are healed and destressed from shipping before we post pictures

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get in on this. I have plenty of softies and a hammer that need trimmed. Still new to corals and had some setbacks. I am in Michigan but I would also like to work on shipping.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all Glenn got home today and weve been super busy with the 180 stand. Just got the chance to get on R2R and this up on this thread.

Sounds like a terrific plan! Remember, some states have or are in the process of making coral trading, selling and giving away illegal without a business license. So I'm hearing. I'm IN but we need to double check our state laws.

Jackie

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe and Seamus I love the idea :) and should we actually make this a member group? Anyone can join as long as they agree and abide by the terms of the group.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave away two medium sized rocks loaded with zoas, a four headed Euphyllia paradivisa with the rock, two Kenyan Tree on a rock, and something else, I can't remember, to a new reefer last month. And a Coral magazine and loaned them a book.

Last edited:

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 baby green toadstool, some red mushrooms, orange mushrooms, and blue anthelia ready. I can cut some green singularia, photosynthetic gorgonia, pulsing xenia, Kenya tree and probably others I am forgetting.

Iamonlyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 baby green toadstool, some red mushrooms, orange mushrooms, and blue anthelia ready. I can cut some green singularia, photosynthetic gorgonia, pulsing xenia, Kenya tree and probably others I am forgetting.

Sweet donations!!!!

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should be at the discretion of the person donating the corals. Whoever they choose and for whatever reason behind it should be that persons decision. There's already a free livestock forum on this site, so I doubt they will make a forum dedicated to this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think, at least for now it would be difficult to enforce if any state does have such a law and others don't. I am simply saying that I don't want to see the good in this turn bad for anyone somehow. I think this really is a good way to help our natural reefs, bring down high prices and help each other out. I love it actually :D And atm have some really nice fire and ice frags, soon (once well healed) lobed leather, green mushrooms, gsp, kenya tree and pulsing xenia. I may also have whammin watermelons and purple death shortly as well to contribute :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad to see this thread still going strong. I plan to reship out some of the original corals that did not fare so well on first go around to Joe, Jeff and Floyd once they have healed. Then for me personally will find 2-3 R2R members I feel are stand out candidates to receive similar 'Pay it Forward' frag packs. I like the idea of the 'sender' choosing a recipient that they personally feel worthy of the gift. I have given away many corals over the years and primarily the recipients have been upstanding hobbyists with few exceptions. This being a first for me in shipping now am pretty jazzed about this long distance variation of paying it forward.

If this turns out to be a actual forum here on R2R, meaning if Rev agrees I'd be happy to moderate this one.

Cheers, Todd

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Todd to moderate and thanks Todd! This is a very exciting concept and would love to see it grow into something phenominal :D

Please Rev?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back